Truecrypt 6.3a and Truecrypt 4.3a

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
colintl

no such file or directory: nautilus

#21 Post by colintl »

@ puplix

If I doubleclick my mounted volumes in the truecrypt window I too get the same popup message as you do ... but as far as I know, to use your "datasafe" volume you just use a file manager (such as rox, thunar, xfe, ...) to view contents (I expect it to be empty) and from then on, start saving/moving your selected files to this mounted volume - treating it as a normal directory but which one can encrypt/decrypt at will.

Hope this helps

Colin

puplix

@colin

#22 Post by puplix »

Thank you for your last reply.. I could't response earlier because I was out for work. Now I have a little bit more time ...

I tried to do everyting that you told me in your last postings Now, the only thing I could't do is to open the successful created volume. Using the filemanager I tried to open the before created volume and I got the following error:

No run actionNo run action specified for files of this type (application/octet-stream) - you can set a run action by choosing `Set Run Action' from the File menu, or you can just drag the file to an application. specified for files of this type (application/octet-stream) - you can set a run action by choosing `Set Run Action' from the File menu, or you can just drag the file to an application.

Then I tried to put an normal text file in that volume by drag and drop but this also failed. At least I made a double click on the highlighted row in the truecrypt window (the mounted file) but I got annother error message:

No such file or directory:
nautilus

So maybe you have annother idea?

Thank you for reading and your comment.
Bye

colintl

@puplix

#23 Post by colintl »

In Windows, Truecrypt mounts the created file to any drive of your choice; and so to view the decrypted volume you view that particular drive.
In Linux, Truecrypt usually mounts your volume to the first available 'drive/directory', which in your case (as you can see in the Truecrypt window) the "Mount Directory" is "/mnt/truecrypt1".
Thus to view; use the filemanager to go to the top folder, click on "mnt", then you should see sub folders such as cdrom, data, flash, home, swap etc as well as truecrypt1. Clicking on truecrypt1 would show an empty folder to which you can copy/move files to.
That's my understanding of how it works...
Good luck.

puplix

@colintl

#24 Post by puplix »

hi colin,
thank you very much for your always quick response. Your last posting brings me the solution to my problem. (Very easy when you know how to) :-)
bye

fred12345

#25 Post by fred12345 »

Just installed the .pet Truecrypt and tried to create a volume & got this when I tried to format it:

dmsetup

Turpin

no such file or directory dmsetup HOMER ANGRY!!!

#26 Post by Turpin »

Edited this post to reflect what I just learned. Firstly and foremostly, thanks so much for posting this pet.
Running Puppy Barebones 4.12 on USB flash using the Truecrypt 6.1a pet package above. When I manually tell the gui what volume, click ok etc., it does fine. It should be noted that when I didn't make the above mentioned change, the gui also was having the "dmsetup" message and after telling truecrypt not to use the OS cryptographic innards, it did fine.
But running truecrypt at the command line, (example: truecrypt --mount /root/tcvolume) telling it to mount the same volume on the same folder I mounted it on in the gui (after unmounting it first) , I get the "no such file or directory, dmsetup" What's going on here? I so don't want to have to guide the gui to the right volume and folder every time. I guess this means the command line doesn't follow the rules of the gui, so how do we set that option at the command line?

As usual, I make a huge long-ars post and then find my answer was just a couple thoughts and googles away. Not only that, it was staring me in the face when I was running truecrypt --help . I'm so embarrassed. The setting at the command line is -m nokernelcrypto , so in my above example it's truecrypt -m nokernelcrypto --mount /root/tcvolume . This problem is thoroughly solved folks! :)

puppytbot

how to download? user/pw?

#27 Post by puppytbot »

Hi everyone,

it may sound pretty dumb, but... tried to download the .pet but have no idea how to do it? puppyasia asks me for a user/pw and I have no idea which one to use.

I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance

Wolf Pup

Re: how to download? user/pw?

#28 Post by Wolf Pup »

puppytbot wrote:Hi everyone,

it may sound pretty dumb, but... tried to download the .pet but have no idea how to do it? puppyasia asks me for a user/pw and I have no idea which one to use.

I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance
username: puppy
password: linux
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

Turpin

#29 Post by Turpin »

Oh, my problems with Truecrypt have returned it seems.. Okay, I explained above that -m nokernelcrypto had to be added to the command line. Okay, now I've been using that in all my bash scripts that call on truecrypt. BUT, now I have the old "no such file or directory" AGAIN, whenever I try to mount a pre-boot authentication volume.
Update: (before I even finished typing the problem out!) GRRRRRR!!!! I'm angry that this isn't documented, but happy I figured it out. Despite all the manuals I read on the subject which gave outdated information, HERE is the correct syntax for combining mount options on the command line. You have to use "truecrypt -m system,nokernelcrypto,[whatever other mount options you may need] [source file or device] [mount point]"
That's it! That's what I've been racking my brain about for hours! A %#^^%& comma! Yet according to everything I could find on Truecrypt's site, the only ways to have multiple options were to have "--mount-options=[mount option]|[second mount option]" or simply "-m [first mount option] -m [second mount option]", yet NEITHER OF THOSE WORKS. Documentation, folks! Where the @#@# is it? This is aimed at the people at Truecrypt and I should mention that my appreciation for the great free product far exceeds my anger that some documentation is missing.

yxtbi

#30 Post by yxtbi »

hello ! this truecrypt 6.1a package works, but i have very short filenames in my puppy 3.01. like "test˜1.mp3 , if i mount the same under windows or puppys 4.0 4.1 4.2- all ok!
the filesystem is VFAT-Fat32

what i do wrong?

thx for answers

Stormson5150

#31 Post by Stormson5150 »

Has anyone else run into this? I am using standard 4.2 (should be able to run 24 sfs files) with about 8 or 9 sfs files loaded at start-up... I also use multiple truecrypt volumes, but for some reason when I try to load more then 2 at a time, I get the message that I have no more loop devices, though with only 8-9 or even 10 sfs's I should have plenty of loops left over from bootup...

Wolf Pup

#32 Post by Wolf Pup »

Truecrypt updated to 6.2a
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

jameskinds

Truecrypt 6.3

#33 Post by jameskinds »

Hi there,

Any chance of posting a truecrypt 6.3 pet?

Thanks in advance.

Jk

Wolf Pup

#34 Post by Wolf Pup »

truecrypt updated to 6.3a

PaulBx1

#35 Post by PaulBx1 »

I downloaded and installed the 6.3a pet in my standard Puppy 4.3.1 (kernel 2.6.30.5). I then created a volume on a flash drive. When I attempted to mount the volume, I got this message:

Code: Select all

TrueCrypt
dmsetup
I didn't notice any dependency mentioned when I installed truecrypt. It didn't help to reboot.

I googled a bit and noticed TrueCrypt requires the device mapper. Did this somehow get forgotten in the pet? But if so, why no dependency warning from the package manager?

Stingray

no device mapper in puppy - but disabling this makes tc work

#36 Post by Stingray »

PaulBx1 wrote:I downloaded and installed the 6.3a pet in my standard Puppy 4.3.1 (kernel 2.6.30.5). I then created a volume on a flash drive. When I attempted to mount the volume, I got this message:

Code: Select all

TrueCrypt
dmsetup
I didn't notice any dependency mentioned when I installed truecrypt. It didn't help to reboot.

I googled a bit and noticed TrueCrypt requires the device mapper. Did this somehow get forgotten in the pet? But if so, why no dependency warning from the package manager?
there is no genuine device mapper support in puppy - just disable it in truecrypt options.

and btw - here a guide how to make your own compilation of truecrypt http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52463

daniel35610

#37 Post by daniel35610 »

@colintl
hello,
I'm sorry I don't speak english..
But I would like to tell you "thank you very much" because you help me very well !
I have been using Truecrypt for a number of years

me too !
and when I upgraded to the latest version (6.1a) I got the same problem as you did.
me too !
However was able to find a solution that was submitted to the forum (but can't find it again!).
I didn't find any solution.
The solution was to run Truecrypt; click Settings; Preferences; System Integration; then click the box in Kernel Services ("do not use kernel cryptographic services").
YES...! your solution is good....that is run also...
Now I will ask to the french people what it mean:
Disabling the use of kernel cryptographic services can degrade performance.
Is that important?
Many thanks
Daniel

meckelman

truecrypt-6.3a.pet works with Lupu 5.1

#38 Post by meckelman »

Outstanding! truecrypt-6.3a.pet works with Lupu 5.1
Be sure to still disable the use of kernel cryptographic services.

PaulBx1

#39 Post by PaulBx1 »

Anyone up for a Truecrypt 7.0a pet?

There is that recipe for a home-cooked 6.3a, mentioned earlier:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52463
I might give that a try but if something goes awry I will have a hard time with it.

I just tried the 7.0a installer and it first says it needs device mapper and fuse library. I tried to install those from the package manager but was only partly successful. Tried running it anyway with "truecrypt -m nokernelcrypto" but just got a complaint about there not being any /proc/mounts.

James186282

#40 Post by James186282 »

I'm still stinking of noob-ness. I've used TrueCrypt on Windoze and liked it. I'm currently using the latest greatest Puppy Linux and would like to encrypt some USB, external drives etc.

I tried the link to get the link to download the pet and got the file not found error.

Thanks - James
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]