Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 20 Nov 2014, 22:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Dillo - Browser
Page 2 of 9 [125 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
aragon

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb 2010, 04:52    Post subject:  

Eyes-Only wrote:
Thank you for your compiling dilligance Aragon as it's always greatly appreciated - and I'm afraid I don't tell you enough.

to much ... Very Happy

aragon

aragon

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb 2010, 04:57    Post subject:  

disciple wrote:
Ah, looks like it might take a while to get there.
- It doesn't support javascript yet. Either there was a patch to support javascript, or the patch that extracted some urls or something from javascript worked quite well... the dillo version in old Puppies works for sites like megaupload.com (actually, it is the best browser to use, because it doesn't support flash to show the adds, and it ignores the instruction to make you wait to see the download link). The current version doesn't work.

i see, a real downside.
Quote:
- It fails to log on to some websites that the gtk version could (in addition to popping up multiple dialogues telling you that the server is not authenticated, instead of just one).

this is still experimental (obvious). i turned it on to test a little. would you prefer a second package with the 'feature' turned off?

aragon

disciple

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb 2010, 05:07    Post subject:  

No thanks, don't wory about that for me. I'll still use the gtk one if I want Dillo.
- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
upnorth

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb 2010, 13:40    Post subject: font rendering in dillo and opera  

Regarding the font rendering issue mentioned above:

This is not unique to dillo-2.2 or this particular build of dillo2.2. The same situation occurs with opera Version 10.50 Build 6219.
In some cases, when a page loads with stylesheet(s), the fonts appear with jagged edges and wrong sizes. This is most noticeable on V and / characters. This occurs even with local pages and is common among 431, quirky006, and dpup afaik.
The font displayed is actually helvetica and not the intended truetype font.

In dpup484b4:
I renamed the 3 files in /etc/fonts, then added all the files from the debian package(lenny 2.6.0-3)fontconfig-config. This resulted in proper font rendering where it was previously degraded . I don't know specifically what fixed the problem but it is related to fontconfig somehow. Also, rename ~.fonts.conf if present.

This hack has no effect in quirky006 or 431.

There must be a simpler fix out there somewhere that would work in all puppies.

UPDATE: In quirky006, I solved the problem by entering the directory:
/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc Then moving only the helv fonts to a safe hiding place in my home directory. There are only 3 in quirky006. Doing any more than this can bork your system.

In Puppy431, the same procedure works, however, there are 24 helv fonts.

This is only a brute force solution that works and so far no side effects have manifested. I assume that the problem is caused by a stylesheet reference to helv or arial or san-serif and helv is deferenced over san-serif: ex: body,td,th { font-family: arial, helvetica, helv, sans-serif; }

Last edited by upnorth on Wed 17 Feb 2010, 19:17; edited 2 times in total
upnorth

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb 2010, 13:42    Post subject:  

looks like even local.conf is now deprecated for fontconfig-config
Last edited by upnorth on Mon 05 Apr 2010, 15:19; edited 1 time in total
goingsolar

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb 2010, 14:53    Post subject:  

deleted
disciple

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb 2010, 04:41    Post subject:  

Quote:

In Dillo's preferences file tell it to use Times New Roman, Arial and Courier? (Or some other fonts that you have and like). Of course your fonts will still look pretty rubbish until you disable all forms of antialiasing and enable BCI hinting Smile

- - -
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb 2010, 08:30    Post subject:  

disciple wrote:
Quote:

In Dillo's preferences file tell it to use Times New Roman, Arial and Courier? (Or some other fonts that you have and like). Of course your fonts will still look pretty rubbish until you disable all forms of antialiasing and enable BCI hinting Smile

yes and this murga-linux forum fonts look like crap, well that is because murga-linux uses "MS fontsTrebuchet MS" Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ttuuxxx

upnorth

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb 2010, 13:27    Post subject:    

Thanks for the suggestion. Adding those ttf fonts might do the trick,
I'm still pretty happy with the font rendering in general. I use either dejavu or bitstream vera. The default antialiasing and hinting are fine at least for a 14" crt. Wink

In dillo now, the forum appears exactly as it does in firefox - pretty doggone close, anyway. The problem was that the old X11 bitmap font (/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/helvB10-ISO8859-1.pcf) was being displayed instead of a scaleable ttf. This occured with a common stylesheet reference like:
"/*
* General rules: Font, Color, Headings, Margins, Links
*/
body,td,th { font-family: arial, helvetica, helv, sans-serif; }"
OR
" /* General font families for common tags */
font,th,td,p { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif }"

In the puppies, the .pcf font had deference over the .ttf font only with css directives like above. Here, the sans-serif specification should cause a ttf font to be displayed, I think. ??

The dillorc default of #font_sans_serif="DejaVu Sans" or "Bitstream Vera Sans" is sufficient. On other systems, even if you don't have dejavu fonts, the closest matching sans-serif ttf is displayed. On most systems, the important thing to change is the default #font_monospace.

In dpup now, I only have the default fonts.conf fonts.dtd conf.avail conf.d from the deb fontconfig-config package in place and everything is working great. I've since done the same thing in quirky but added the 70-no-bitmaps.conf symlink to conf.d and moved the helv*.pcf fonts back to their proper location and everything is good there.
In puppy431, I still have the helv.pcf fonts stashed away, It works, but it's a dirty hack. I borked quirky once when I was experimenting, then fixed it Shocked

The fonts.dtd shows there is a syntax to deference, prefer, reject fonts for different font families but thats all new for me for now.

Anyway, Thanks to Aragon for making this available Very Happy
don922

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb 2010, 00:26    Post subject:  geometry problem -- (kind of solved?)  

Here is the code setting the browser size in /root/.dillo/dillorc

Code:
# Set the desired initial browser size
# geometry=650x545+0+20
geometry=630x550

This has been working and setting the size for several days, however, today when I started the browser the geometry was 558X385. This "new geometry" has continued through several restarts. Nothing changed in the dillorc entry.

What is causing the startup geometry to be different than what is specified in the dillorc?

EDIT: I can't figure out why it worked for a few days then stopped............

How do I fix it?

EDIT: I fixed it by setting the geometry to 700x715. This gives the screen geometry that I want, ie, 630x550.

Last edited by don922 on Sat 20 Feb 2010, 02:57; edited 1 time in total
disciple

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb 2010, 02:44    Post subject:  

Quote:
well that is because murga-linux uses "MS fontsTrebuchet MS"

Interesting... but does that mean you actually have that font installed? Otherwise it would use your default font.

- - -
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb 2010, 03:06    Post subject:  

disciple wrote:
Quote:
well that is because murga-linux uses "MS fontsTrebuchet MS"

Interesting... but does that mean you actually have that font installed? Otherwise it would use your default font.

Not sure on that disciple, well with dillo anyways, I set the fonts with the pet I provided above, all the sites fonts looked great, but when I went to www.murga-linux.com the fonts were terrible, that's what gave me the notion to see what is up with the fonts on this forum.
ttuuxxx

mrj

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb 2010, 19:53    Post subject:  

Using Dillo 2.2 in Pizzasgood's multiuser puppy linux 4.2.1 munga-linux.com's
forum looks good. But to make murga-linux.com forum look acceptable to me
in puppy linux 4.3.1 with Dillo 2.2 I go to "Tools" and uncheck "Use embedded CSS"

One odd thing I've found with Dillo 2.2 is that it no longer shows
the following webpage properly;

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/trends_table/pages/yyz_metric_e.html

Now it wants to save it as a file instead of displaying it.
don922

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2010, 09:34    Post subject: Missing the Options menu under View  

I really miss the Options menu under View, that is included in dillo 0.8.6-i18n-misc.

This is a much easier way to make "on the fly" adjustments to the browser rather than opening up dillorc and trying to figure out not only what to adjust but, also, how to make the adjustment.

For example I wanted to get rid of the white background in dillo 0.8.6-i18n-misc it took less than one minute to adjust the background to an eye-pleasing light gold color.

Not including this menu is a real step backwards for dillo 2.2.

upnorth

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2010, 19:55    Post subject: fontconfig-config (x11 bitmap fonts vs freetype)
Subject description: fontconfig-config-431+.pet (x11 bitmap fonts vs freetype)

This is for testing only

This pet will fix the issue with the incorrect font being displayed on some html pages. This issue can occur with dillo2+ and opera10+ web browsers, but usually not Moz. It is possible that it occurs with other applications. This is characterized by squares appearing in place of some characters, a general jagged appearance, and improper sizing.

What is occuring is that the old nonscaleable X11 bitmap fonts are being displayed instead of the expected ttf font: [helv*.pcf instead of the intended sans-serif ttf, and tim*.pcf instead of the intended serif ttf or the alternate type 1 pfb font.] This happens when a sylesheet or embedded html specifies something like: body,td,th { font-family: arial, helvetica, helv, sans-serif; } or
<FONT FACE="Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times, Serif".

The pet will only install files to the /etc/fonts folder. It will overwrite the default fonts.conf and add two subdirectories: conf.avail & conf.d. The conf.d folder only contains symlinks to the xml files in conf.avail.

Although this pet can be installed or uninstalled cleanly, you should definately place a copy of your current /etc/fonts folder into your home directory prior to installing. This way you will have a copy of your original configuration should you ever need it. This is especially true with full hard installs of Puppy,

This has only been tested in Puppy431, Dpup484b4, the Quirkys, Spup, newer Slaxer_pups and shouldn't be installed in anything older.

Notes:
The net effect of this pet is to block the availability of Bitmap Fonts to most applications. This effect can be nullified by removing the symlink "70-no-bitmaps.conf" from /etc/fonts/conf.d, then run fc-cache -f if necessary. If you want to reenable it, ctrl-shift-drag the 70-no-bitmaps.conf in /etc/fonts/conf.avail to /etc/fonts/conf.d.

These url's provide a good overview of the font system:
http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html
http://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/fonts/fonts.html

This is for testing only
fontconfig-config-431.pet
Description  standard config system for fontconfig
pet

Download 
Filename  fontconfig-config-431.pet 
Filesize  12.26 KB 
Downloaded  619 Time(s) 

Last edited by upnorth on Wed 14 Jul 2010, 21:45; edited 7 times in total
Page 2 of 9 [125 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: