Not allowed to read or write on booted media? LinuxMint KDE

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
nooby

Not allowed to read or write on booted media? LinuxMint KDE

#1 Post by nooby »

What could it be that made them take that route to not allow one to read the media it boots from?

Could there exist some cheat code that overdride their preference?

Would this work?

sudo mount -t iso9660 rw /dev/hda1

rw is that for read write and if he had been ro then it means read only?
why is it dev there. Could it not be mnt or media or cdrom or isodevice or whatever?

background

I made a frugal install of SuperOS (ubuntu) and all works but linux mint kde ce is better

So I did hide the superos thing and instead install in frugal the mint disto. booted up almost as good as the superos but the very big difference is that I totally fail to see where they have the primary partition of the HDD the one it boots up from which is formatted in NTFS.

Why I don't ask in their forum? I did and get no readable answer. They either say that I can't boot in frugal from a ntfs HDD which I done each day for a week so that is not so.

It boots just fine but the mint fail to mount the same partition it is on while superos does both reading and writing as if it is meant to be that way and mint kde doesn't even know that that partition exists. doesn't show up at all.

Is this something very easy me as a newbie miss out on or is this set up to be very difficult for a purpose of protection something whatever?

Dearly hope somebody knowing how to proceed to solve this could help me out.

I did spend twelve hours on this problem last day and today 5 hours. Very frustrating.
I badly need good advice on how to tackle this thing. What have I not tested.

Yes I wrote
fdisk lspci lshw and did not understand a bit of it.

puppy says that I ahve a sda1 how do I mount that one in linux mint?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

technosaurus

#2 Post by technosaurus »

Have you tried unetbootin - I think it is supposed to work with Mint.

Don't feel too bad - I couldn't get Milax to frugal install either and abandoned my attempt after 1 try when it found the kernel but couldn't find the main file

Sorry I can't help much, but I think ntfs partitions use a different tool for mounting (see the pmount scripts)... usually to mount a partition you make a directory (usually /mnt/sdaX that is similarly named to the device you wish to mount ... /dev/sdaX) and then mount them to that directory. If the "device" you are trying to mount is read only and not rw (such as an iso9660 or a squashfs a.k.a. sfs) you have to fake rw by using unionfs or aufs on top. This is how almost all live CDs work now... Without knowing the underlying system it is hard to say, but it sounds like the Mint folks are "chromies" ... you know the guys that trick out their car but don't know where the spark plugs are.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

wow, you made me laugh with that one.
it sounds like the Mint folks are "chromies"
If they read here they will chase you with a back burner. :)

No I think they are opposite of being "chromies"
they want to have total control over the user so he doesn't do frugal install and one way to avoid this is to not even let me see the NTFS HDD. I am beginning to sound like a "Truther". The Mint people are so proud then would die if I managed to do a frugal install using it. The SuperOS guy though seems to be cool about it.

It works very well so I made the mint thing hidden and only have SuperOS and some 5 puppies and a failed attempt to get Slitaz and TinyCore and Mepis going. I have wrong code. Ok TC do boot but it fail to save Firefox and not Swedish chars. Puppy is the Champ big time here. Shine all the way. Thanks indeed to all who care about Puppy. what would I be without it. :)

oops I am so selfish.

Milax. new name for a distro to me. Is it important then I can try to help. Not that I know somethign at all but I can spend some time searching?

Have you given up totally or just for now. what with Milax is it you like about it. I ahve to look at DW to see what it is.

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Ahh now I get it
Milax is based on OpenSolaris
I take a look but don't promise anything.

Heheh, nope too difficult for a noob like me.

why don't they make it easier to use their most likely good product?

I would want to have a solaris os too. :)