Problem with USB mouse

Please post any bugs you have found
slvrldy17

Problem with USB mouse

#1 Post by slvrldy17 »

The following is a cut and paste sumary of a bug that I've run into - was originally in the Beginners probs forum - in summary my USB mouse will not work under Puppy 1.0.7 and it would seem that this has been a known problem for awhile - details as follows - Microsoft Intellimouse USB mouse, using Puppy 1.0.7, get all the way to the desktop but the only movement that the mouse will do is up/down - buttons not active and no control - only way out was to do a hard reboot and go to Windows - Mouse works fine with both Windows and Knoppix. Device driver/kernal problem?

The PS/2 port itself is NOT functional - when the hard drive died and was replaced about a month ago it was found after replacing the HD and when loading the Windows XP home OS that NEITHER the USB mouse/adapter combination or the OEM mechanical PS/2 mouse was functional. Since the MS mouse works OK as a USB device and is almost a year old itself, the cost of sending the tower to a repair shop or replacing the mouse is/was NOT justified. There was a thread started by kirk_22 on June 9 of 05 Titled "USB Intellimouse up/down movement only" that continued over a several month span - apparently this is /was an ongoing problem in versions 1.0.3 to 1.0.6 that looks as if it is still not solved in version 1.0.7 since that is the precise problem that I am having.. Perhaps if one of the Moderators agrees we should move this discussion to the Bugs forum? Any chance that the 2.0 Alpha version has different drivers and may not have this problem?

Would like to hear from anyone with a fix for this.

Thanks,
Always give without remembering - always receive without forgetting.
Alice

slvrldy17

Puppy 1.0.8 Beta and 2.0Alpha both have fleas!

#2 Post by slvrldy17 »

Tried both the 1.0.8 Beta and the 2.0 Alpha - same result with both. I get thru boot up OK and everything seems to work until I've entered the choice of XORG or XVESA (?) - when the desktop screen comes up I have no control with the mouse - cursor movement is up/down only and quite eratic. With 1.0.8 the only way out was to go with a hard reboot. With 2.0A the keyboard works and I was able to use the power off option to shut down - a small improvement. Specs on my system as follows - Manufacturer E machines - AMD Athlon XP2400, 1.99GHz processor - 736MB RAM - Microsoft Intellimouse optical mouse - E machines PS2 keyboard - PS2 mouse connection is dead - must use mouse as USB which works fine with both Windows and Knoppix/Linux. I suspect a problem with how puppy handles mouse programing/drivers. Any ideas/suggestions?

radioman2029

USB mouse

#3 Post by radioman2029 »

I am having the same problem too if you find out can you let me know thanks

slvrldy17

Mouse troubles...

#4 Post by slvrldy17 »

Radioman,

Borrowed a variety of mice from some friends - result was that I found out that a very basic 2 buttons/scroll wheel mouse seems to work - the ones with extra buttons, trackballs, etc., seem to give trouble for some reason. Spent $9.99 at CompUSA today on a simple/cheap USB mouse that seems to work OK - at least Puppy boots up now and everything seems to work. Barry K. sent me some tweaks to try on the mouse programing and now that I can actually get in and work I'll try them and see what they do. More latter...