Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 08:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 10 [144 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb 2010, 21:34    Post subject: Re: All installed, BUT
Subject description: No workee!

rhymer wrote:
... I have done a complete hard drive install which said it was OK, but I seem to have a MAYBE installation that works sometimes, but usually gives me a # prompt halfway through booting and stops there!

...The entire machine belongs to Puppy, (no windoze involved)

...If I leave the boot disk in the drive, it boots fine but this sort of defeats the purpose of installing it.

The # prompt will give me a mess of confusing commands if I type HELP and return... But can I get it to load from that point? Duh Rolling Eyes

When you get to the # prompt type reboot;
or startx.

Provide information on the computer you are using.

Did your install method look like this?:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=201565&search_id=1358540782#201565

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

harrisandreson

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb 2010, 05:42    Post subject: how to install  

After polling my small scientific community, I can confidently report that Puppy is the hands-down best small Linux distribution bar none, and perhaps the best Linux distribution for general use currently resident on the planet. And yet, the best (Puppy) just keeps getting better, about every two weeks or so.
amsk98

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2010, 16:29    Post subject:  for 1st time Install Guide
Subject description: New Joiner Help

Hi all I am Interested To Install Linux Puppy Os Distro My sys config Intel 810 P 3 700 MHz 64 MB SD Ram/ 100 MHz Segate 8 GB Hard Drive PS2 Keyboard Mouse & 52x CD Rom

My FAQ

It Can Able to Install from USB Boot [My cd rom sometimes not read]

Or

Install From Windows Xp OS On another HDD Partition Drive

or

By Using qemu apps

Also I have 3 G USB ZTE EVDO AC8700 800M Wireless Card work on this os
Bosola

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2010, 17:58    Post subject:  

Quote:
Hi all I am Interested To Install Linux Puppy Os Distro My sys config Intel 810 P3 700 MHz 64 MB SD Ram/ 100 MHz Segate 8 GB Hard Drive PS2 Keyboard Mouse & 52x CD Rom

Okay. The first thing to note is that you only have 64MB of RAM. This is workable if you do a full install and set up a swap file, but if the machine needs to constantly use it, then this reduces the life of the hard disk drive.

Puppy can run from USB, yes, but in this case you'll need a swap file, and old BIOSes don't boot from USB anyway, so either way, you'll be creating some new partitions on your hard drive.

May I suggest using Slitaz? It's not as large as Puppy, but still supports Firefox, most ethernet cards, and you should be able to do a fair bit of work on it using AbiWord and Gnumeric (I think OpenOffice would be a bit too large, unless you ran it as a portable app from a USB drive).

Quote:

You can get EVDOs to run with Linux, yes. How it will fare, 'out of the box' - I don't know.
strategic_thinker

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2010, 11:41    Post subject: Re: All installed, BUT

rjbrewer wrote:
rhymer wrote:
... I have done a complete hard drive install which said it was OK, but I seem to have a MAYBE installation that works sometimes, but usually gives me a # prompt halfway through booting and stops there!

...If I leave the boot disk in the drive, it boots fine but this sort of defeats the purpose of installing it.

The # prompt will give me a mess of confusing commands if I type HELP and return... But can I get it to load from that point? Duh Rolling Eyes

or startx.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=201565&search_id=1358540782#201565

I have the same problem...

Hi

This has happened to me during booting up. I have successfully installed Puppy 4.3.1 and the GRUB. Everything works fine for a while.

Then all of a sudden when I boot up to use the computer, It goes to a command prompt and not the window manager. On two previous occasion, I had to re-install from scratch.
Is there any command i can execute to fire up the window manager ?

BTW, most Linux commands seem to work at the command prompt.

Thanks and regards,

Sanjay
strategic_thinker

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2010, 11:55    Post subject: Re: All installed, BUT

strategic_thinker wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:
rhymer wrote:

or startx.

I have the same problem...

Hi

This has happened to me during booting up. I have successfully installed Puppy 4.3.1 and the GRUB. Everything works fine for a while.

Then all of a sudden when I boot up to use the computer, It goes to a command prompt and not the window manager. On two previous occasion, I had to re-install from scratch.
Is there any command i can execute to fire up the window manager ?

BTW, most Linux commands seem to work at the command prompt.

Thanks and regards,

Sanjay

I executed..

# startx

followed the prompts and the window manager came up. I then rebooted and all is well.
amsk98

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2010, 15:59    Post subject: ZTE
Subject description: Who Knw it

Bosola wrote:
Quote:
Hi all I am Interested To Install Linux Puppy Os Distro My sys config Intel 810 P3 700 MHz 64 MB SD Ram/ 100 MHz Segate 8 GB Hard Drive PS2 Keyboard Mouse & 52x CD Rom

Okay. The first thing to note is that you only have 64MB of RAM. This is workable if you do a full install and set up a swap file, but if the machine needs to constantly use it, then this reduces the life of the hard disk drive.

Puppy can run from USB, yes, but in this case you'll need a swap file, and old BIOSes don't boot from USB anyway, so either way, you'll be creating some new partitions on your hard drive.

May I suggest using Slitaz? It's not as large as Puppy, but still supports Firefox, most ethernet cards, and you should be able to do a fair bit of work on it using AbiWord and Gnumeric (I think OpenOffice would be a bit too large, unless you ran it as a portable app from a USB drive).

Quote:

You can get EVDOs to run with Linux, yes. How it will fare, 'out of the box' - I don't know.

Who Know It About ZTE Installing driver
Bosola

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2010, 04:10    Post subject:  

Quote:

I don't mean to presume but... is English your first language? I'm finding it very hard to understand your question.
amsk98

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2010, 16:20    Post subject: ZTE Install Guide  

Bosola wrote:
Quote:

I don't mean to presume but... is English your first language? I'm finding it very hard to understand your question.

How to Install ZTE 3 G AC700 800M USB Modem wireless data Card.
darrelljon

PostPosted: Sun 28 Feb 2010, 18:43    Post subject:  

I just added screenshots to WikiHow to Install Puppy Linux, feel free to generally improve it.
amsk98

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar 2010, 17:24    Post subject: But how to Install ZTE  

darrelljon wrote:
I just added screenshots to WikiHow to Install Puppy Linux, feel free to generally improve it.

But how to Install ZTE
darrelljon

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar 2010, 19:07    Post subject: Re: But how to Install ZTE  

amsk98 wrote:
darrelljon wrote:

But how to Install ZTE
What?
thestarlion

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar 2010, 11:03    Post subject:  A netboot install  

Greetings to the Puppy community,
I've got a bit of a problem in my Linux home, and it isn't windows.
My brother's old laptop is running Ubuntu Jaunty, and he doesn't want to move up to Karmic or above. It's getting increasingly difficult to maintain it on this older version, so we've started looking into alternatives.

Puppy caught his attention (and mine, too) but there's a problem - his laptop doesn't have a CD drive. Not even a USB one, because the USB port is.... at best, unreliable.
So having put Ubuntu on there via a netboot install, I'm wondering if it's possible to serve a Puppy boot image the same way, and install from that.
I had a look, and found a page on the Puppy site saying it was possible, but not documented and pointed to a link - which 404'd on me.

So, I come and ask... can anyone solve this little problem and bring Puppy to this old laptop of his?
(If it's of any use, by the way, the laptop is an old Dell Latitude C400)

Thanks to any help, it's appreciated.
Eye-iN-TiPi

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar 2010, 11:23    Post subject:  

Hi everyone. I like Puppy a lot. I've been using it for about a year now, on and off. I have a question that probably doesn't come up very often any more: can I start an install from a floppy? I was messing around with an old Nobilis laptop last night and ended up wiping out the setup info in the BIOS. Now the bios won't recognize the DVD ROM drive. It must have had some strange configuration that I should have looked at before removing the CMOS battery. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess. Anyway, I'd like to make this laptop all Puppy, but I can't boot from the install CD because the BIOS won't can't see the drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: nevermind. I figured it out. I used wakepup2 to make a boot floppy.
looseSCREWorTWO

Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar 2010, 08:10    Post subject:  

G'day Eye-iN-TiPi,
I also use WakePup2 to boot from a floppy. This laptop doesn't even have a Hard Drive, so WakePup2 boots up then it hands over to a Flash Drive which "pretends" to be the HDD.

Isn't Puppy great ?
Page 5 of 10 [144 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: