Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 03 Sep 2014, 03:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Google-Chrome beta 2
Page 1 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
GrumpyWolfe

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb 2010, 01:47    Post subject:  Google-Chrome beta 2
Subject description: This should have all the libs for 4.3

HI all

Trying again to get beta 2 started off right. I hope that I have put all the right libs in the in the right place to let everyone with 4.3 and newer puppy's run it.

Get it here
http://mywolfe.googlecode.com/files/google-chrome-beta2.pet

Let me know how it goes for you

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

MyWolfe at Sourceforge
MyWolfe Blog
MyWolfe Groups
pierro78

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2010, 19:17    Post subject:  

working on my usb flash drive install after I removed /opt/google/chrome/chrome-sandbox as explained here : http://pupweb.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1263080864/4
GrumpyWolfe

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2010, 23:59    Post subject:  

yes that will work but is not the best answer as I have been reading the form at Google-chrome because it is a security measure. If you just nake a save file it will work as installed.

MyWolfe at Sourceforge
MyWolfe Blog
MyWolfe Groups
swiatmar

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2010, 12:38    Post subject:  

working well:)
starting really fast on my NOP 413. recognized Java and flash is running.
The only problem is, that my cursor is loosing speed(freeze) when pages are loading and running above settings and address panel.
and I Have some problems with facebook...
but it is still beta .......
GrumpyWolfe

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2010, 22:27    Post subject: sandbox  

To all

Here is an articles that explains what sandbox is sup post to do and what it does not do in Linux it is still in development as far as Linux is concerned but I for one do not want to make a diction for everybody. So as you can see you can in Linux run without sandbox just fine but it may one day add more security from net code.

A new approach to browser security: the Google Chrome Sandbox
http://blog.chromium.org/2008/10/new-approach-to-browser-security-google.html

MyWolfe at Sourceforge
MyWolfe Blog
MyWolfe Groups
lugligino

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb 2010, 07:17    Post subject:  

Hi GrumpyWolf
I tried beta2 on my old laptop and it works great. I Smile it's fast when loads pages and Flash is OK. Unfortunately Flash is a little heavy for the PII of my PC. I can see no more than 1 frame per second. Sad Curiously using seamonkey I can have a good TV streaming with gxine while see a film on youtube is a mess with every browser.
I read that Chrome can work using Html5 that is less heavy for CPU. Is it possible to use it instead of Flash?
Beta2 asks me to install a plugin where gxine should work with a link that starts Mediaplayer (it doesn't install). Confused Any hint?
GrumpyWolfe

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb 2010, 10:13    Post subject:  

Hi lugligino

I have not played with the plugins much yet and I use xine which is about the some but the one time it asked it never did pull up xine dont know if I have it configed wrong or what. as for html5 will check the google-chrome forms later today after I get up for I work the 3rd shift almost sleep time for me

MyWolfe at Sourceforge
MyWolfe Blog
MyWolfe Groups
abushcrafter

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb 2010, 16:34    Post subject:  

Can't use goolge Chrome with the sandbox (I renamed "chrome-sandbox" to "chrome-sandbox_DISABLE" so it would run.). Here are the errors:

Code:
sh-3.00# google-chrome
/usr/bin/google-chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/google-chrome)
/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
Cannot chdir to / after chroot: Stale NFS file handle
[581:581:8864498684:ERROR:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(528)] Failed to read from chroot pipe: 0
[581:581:8864498876:FATAL:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(621)] Failed to enter sandbox. Fail safe abort. (errno: 0)
^C I kill it here as it  does not do any thing.
DMcCunney

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb 2010, 16:47    Post subject:  

lugligino wrote:
I read that Chrome can work using Html5 that is less heavy for CPU. Is it possible to use it instead of Flash?

That has to be done by the web developers on the server side. They have to write web pages using HTML5.

What you have to do is install a browser that supports HTML5. but Chrome, Firefox, and Opera are all working on supporting the emerging standard. (I imagine IS and Safairi are, too, but they're irrelevant to Puppy.)
______
Dennis
swiatmar

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb 2010, 17:32    Post subject:  

lugligino,

try this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34008
It is a puppy alternative Smile
Works great with flash (but has some problems with new videos on you tube)

There is no way at this moment to play videos with HTML5 using opera, firefox etc.
It doesn't support free codecs used by them Sad
lugligino

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb 2010, 11:27    Post subject:  

DMcCunney wrote:
lugligino wrote:

That has to be done by the web developers on the server side. They have to write web pages using HTML5.

What you have to do is install a browser that supports HTML5. but Chrome, Firefox, and Opera are all working on supporting the emerging standard. (I imagine IS and Safairi are, too, but they're irrelevant to Puppy.)
______
Dennis

Hi all. I tried to switch to html5 using Chrome_beta2 on puppy but it seems not supported because loading video is unsuccessful (ethernal weel turning Confused ).
Swiatmar I'll try to use the pet you showed. Thanks. Smile
DMcCunney

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb 2010, 11:44    Post subject:  

lugligino wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:
lugligino wrote:

Hi all. I tried to switch to html5 using Chrome_beta2 on puppy but it seems not supported because loading video is unsuccessful (ethernal weel turning Confused ).

Did you read what I wrote above?

It doesn't matter if you use Firefox or Chrome. The web developer has to write the page using HTML 5. If the page is coded to use Flash, you must have Adobe's Flash plugin installed to view it. Just using a browser that supports HTML5 will not magically translate the flash code into HTML5 and let you view it without Flash installed.

HTML5 may replace Flash down the road, but first, web developers have to use it. It is an emerging standard that is not yet adopted.
______
Dennis
lugligino

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb 2010, 18:43    Post subject:  

DMcCunney wrote:
lugligino wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:
lugligino wrote:

Did you read what I wrote above?

It doesn't matter if you use Firefox or Chrome. The web developer has to write the page using HTML 5. If the page is coded to use Flash, you must have Adobe's Flash plugin installed to view it. Just using a browser that supports HTML5 will not magically translate the flash code into HTML5 and let you view it without Flash installed.

HTML5 may replace Flash down the road, but first, web developers have to use it. It is an emerging standard that is not yet adopted.
______
Dennis

Hi Dennis,
I browsed page www.youtube.it/html5. In this page I can switch to html5 from flash and viceversa. I chose html5. After this I went again in youtube to see film, I see html5 logo in the space of the film but I can't load anything.
Now do I have to think youtube site offer the switch option and it doesn't work in the same site?
DMcCunney

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb 2010, 19:52    Post subject:  

lugligino wrote:

I browsed page www.youtube.it/html5. In this page I can switch to html5 from flash and viceversa. I chose html5. After this I went again in youtube to see film, I see html5 logo in the space of the film but I can't load anything.
Now do I have to think youtube site offer the switch option and it doesn't work in the same site?

Okay, I beg your pardon. You are trying to view a site that implements HTML5.

I just tried it here. Chrome on Puppy announces itself as 5.0.307.7 beta. I can successfully join the HTML5 beta program and watch videos.

Performance is not a whole lot better than using Flash - on the machine I use for Puppy, I get a few FPS at best, and video tends to show as a series of still pictures rather than smooth motion.

What are the specs on the machine you run Puppy on, and what version of Chrome is yours? There are a couple of different Chrome pets floating around on the forums. I think I'm using Grumpy Wolfe's PET but can't swear to it.
______
Dennis
lugligino

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar 2010, 11:59    Post subject:  

DMcCunney wrote:
lugligino wrote:

Okay, I beg your pardon. You are trying to view a site that implements HTML5.

I just tried it here. Chrome on Puppy announces itself as 5.0.307.7 beta. I can successfully join the HTML5 beta program and watch videos.

Performance is not a whole lot better than using Flash - on the machine I use for Puppy, I get a few FPS at best, and video tends to show as a series of still pictures rather than smooth motion.

What are the specs on the machine you run Puppy on, and what version of Chrome is yours? There are a couple of different Chrome pets floating around on the forums. I think I'm using Grumpy Wolfe's PET but can't swear to it.
______
Dennis

Hi Dannis,
your excuses are accepted Mr. Green
I have a very old notebook HP Omnibook Xe2 (1999 born, PII 256MB Ram, rivived by Puppy 4.3.1) Rolling Eyes . Everyone may expect that view flash films in youtube in a decent way is too much hard for my PC, but I can see well internet TV streaming using Gxine plugin in Seamokey (out of the box in Puppy). I can see the CPU indicator in the bar that reach himalaian heights, PC temperature increases Twisted Evil , but the vision is good with a sufficient fps and stable.
Flash vision, instead, is very poor because fps are too much low but CPU seems not very busy. So my hope is to abandon flash for html5 hoping that resource management is better.
I downloaded the new version goggle-chrome-beta3.pet by GrumpyWolfe and I'll try it later. I'll keep you informed.
I also tried playflash.pet but gxine crashes. Do you remember how transfer console text to a file, so I can show you the errors?
Page 1 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: