copy pup-431.sfs to hard drive problem

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
itzme

copy pup-431.sfs to hard drive problem

#1 Post by itzme »

I have a query, when booting from cd then rebooting I select save and select a partition to save to, all go's as normal, but when it comes to the option to save the pup-431.sfs to the same partition and I select no it copies it to the partition anyway on the next boot.

Ive tried injecting the pup-431.sfs into another iso, thinking it may have something to do with the initrd on the iso I was using, but still no joy, the pup-431.sfs is from NOP 431 and I have edited with EDIT SFS instead of remastering, everything works fine otherwise.

So in a nut shell could it be something that I have done and if so where does this copy option reside.

Thanks in advance

itzme

Edit: I extracted the initrd and it appears to me that is where the option is, hmmm, strange, wonder what it could be causing this, one for the experts I think.

ICPUG

#2 Post by ICPUG »

This post should be in the Beginners or Users section. It is not a programming problem.

Nevertheless, I will give an answer.

Barry, the developer of 4.3.1, set it up this way deliberately. He did it with 4.1 as well. It is one of the few things that Barry did that I don't agree with.

Lots of others didn't like it either and Puppy 4.2.1, the devopment of which was led by WhoDo, eradicated this problem. It requires a change to the init file in initrd.gz to sort out, the details of which I cannot remember.

Presumably the developer of NOP431 didn't implement the change to the init file either.

In summary:
No it is not you. Change required in the init file held in initrd.gz.

ICPUG

#3 Post by ICPUG »

I've been searching round the forum to find references on how to solve this problem.

Pizzasgood originally solved it for 4.1 here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 093#273093

This was then taken up for the development of the init file for 4.2.1 the (long) thread of which can be found here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38030

If you're keen, you might like to investigate these posts

itzme

#4 Post by itzme »

ICPUG,

thanks for the info, I thought as much after having a look inside the initrd.gz, I will check out the links you posted.

thanks very much

itzme