Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 14:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
TEENpup2010minibeta (Final) Ready for download
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 7 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
timremy

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb 2010, 22:44    Post_subject: 2010
Sub_title: sound

hello john biles

i do not follow the ffmeg changing and then change

again. could you please explain alittle more.

yes, i am an idiot. my wife confirms this every day.

thank you

timremy
trio

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb 2010, 23:13    Post_subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Good luck with TEENpup2010minibeta John Cool

Dingos chart added here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SFSCompatibility

sfs compatibility check

john biles

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2010, 00:23    Post_subject:  

Hello timremy,
When a Application like Mplayer tries to play a video it calls on ffmpeg to do the job of decoding it so looks in a folder called "bin" which is located at /usr/bin
If you navigate to that folder you will find as you look through that folder there are 2 files with the name ffmpeg and ffmpeg-original-421
All you have to do is rename ffmpeg to ffmpeg-teen and then name ffmpeg-original-421 to just ffmpeg.
What this causes Mplayer to do is use the original version of ffmpeg instead of the version included in TEENpup 2010 mini beta.
Remember Mplayer is dumb as it only looks for a file named ffmpeg and can't see any other file even if it includes ffmpeg as part of its name.
I hope this helps.

john biles

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2010, 00:26    Post_subject:  

To those having trouble with sound is it just when you try and play an MP4 or all the time?

If it's just with trying to play an MP4 replace ffmpeg as in last post and even try using a version of ffmpeg you know works with your MP4's

Please supply feedback.

nooby

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2010, 05:21    Post_subject:  

John I did the changes of the name but that did not help me get sound on the mp4 fine that 8 other puppies I ahve installed just play out of the box with sound. Too much hazzle and not result so I get back to your mini when this is solved.

I ahve to learn Dpup and Upup and Tpup now and how to get a proper Firefox on the standard version 431

timremy

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2010, 06:17    Post_subject: 2010
Sub_title: volume

hello john biles

it works now. thank you.

one more item, when i try to play a m4v file, get a picture but

no sound. these files are found on cnn podcast. i save a video

file and no sound. any ideas.

timremy
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb 2010, 21:26    Post_subject:  

HI, John!

Magnificent work! Bravo!

musher0

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb 2010, 21:29    Post_subject:  

How easy would it be to localize TeenPup? Not asking you to do it, incidentally! I might try my hand at it myself, if it's not toooo complicated.

I downloaded the localization package from the Desktop/Localize menu item, but the programs remain in English -- even Abiword and Gnumeric.

Is there any way in TeenPup 2010 to use esmourguit's or MU's localization tools for menus, etc. ?

Many thanks in advance.

Ray MK

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb 2010, 17:56    Post_subject:  

Hi John

Absolutely brilliant - running on my 10+ yr old IBM thinkpad A21m laptop.

Computer
Processor Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory 190MB (125MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.42
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sat 27 Feb 2010 09:22:43 PM GMT-8
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter CS46xx - Sound Fusion CS46xx
Input Devices
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint
PC Speaker
Printers
No printers found
SCSI Disks
ATA IBM-DJSA-220
MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8175

Running extremely well as a frugal install. Superb Job.
The ram used is high 'cos I've got Opera running with 5 tabs open, plus a few other items running.
Normally idles at about 66mb ram used.

Just wanted too say how pleased I am with TP2010 and offer my sincere gratitude for all your hard work.
Am about to install on my 701SD - will report findings.

As always, many, many thanks and very best regards - Ray
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar 2010, 18:59    Post_subject: Re: TEENpup2010minibeta (Final) Ready for download  

john biles wrote:
Originally I started developing this release of TEENpup for use on my EeePC as I wasn't happy with the choices available at time. I also still wanted TEENpup2010minibeta to be usable for all PC's not just Netbooks. I've decided to release TEENpup2010minibeta even though I'm not 100% happy with it. (More a case of my wanting for TEENpup to be perfect when no Operating System is.) Don't get me wrong it's still a very usable Operating System. I should know as I've used it for a few months now on my 900A EeePC and Desktop. Anyone looking for a fast version of Linux with a good selection of Applications that only takes up about 1.1 Gb of space installed on their EeePC's Hard Drive should give TEENpup2010minibeta a try and judge for themselves.

One small problem some users might find is that TEENpup may not boot itself up Live on a PC with less than 512 Mb of Ram. I've tried to include a good mix of apps and keep the iso under 350Mb's in size, so apps like Open office have been left out due to their size. Lastly while I'm calling this release of TEENpup a beta I have no plans to provide a final or provide bug fixes and solutions to other problems a user might face. I'm basically providing this release of TEENpup to those who want to use it and if anyone finds fixes to bugs feel free to upload them to the forum.
On future releases of TEENpup I plan only to release a new version yearly or longer. My growing family needs have to come first and as TEENpup is a hobby like all hobbies they sometimes have to be put on hold.

Download from here: http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/TEENpup-Mini-54760.shtml

Softpedia has requested that any problems with the iso not matching the md5sum please report them here.
Correct md5sum is: 6a91f4c5743f01dd73185fb6fdd9975e TEENpup2010minibeta.iso

Lastly Softpedia will still be hosting TEENpup 2009 Legacy as well.

I've just downloaded this today, and can confirm that it will boot in 384 MB of RAM; the machine I tried it in at my local community centre had this much, and it worked well and looked good. I was unable to get it to boot in 256 MB of RAM (i.e. on my home machine) though, so as you say it's a distro for newer machines.

Thanks for a good job of work anyway.

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
Ray MK

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar 2010, 00:02    Post_subject:  

Hi

TP2010 running frugal in 190mb ram, 800mhz PIII proc. and a 400mb ish swap partition. 10yr old IBM A21m laptop.

So good for older kit too.

Very best regards - Ray
TP2010.png
 Description   
 Filesize   223.15 KB
 Viewed   1776 Time(s)

TP2010.png

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar 2010, 14:04    Post_subject:  

Point taken Ray. I've since gone back and tried it a couple more times with different boot options (acpi=force and pfix=noram) and each time I did get it to load and run X Windows, but only as a standard 4.21 Puppy - I couldn't access any of the special Teenpup features or applications, either from the menu or the command line.

I don't like being negative but it may be that others have the same problems (it's happened before in other distros I've tried), so it's worth pointing out any problems I may be having IMO.

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar 2010, 15:58    Post_subject:  

I cannot get it to load on 256MB of RAM.

The warning window says [something to the effect] that when attempting to load the sfs file into RAM, "kernel panic", and it has run out out of available RAM and is unable to find any un-necessary modules to close. Sad
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar 2010, 16:45    Post_subject:  

Yep, that's the message I got to start with as well. Have you tried it with either of the boot options I mentioned above though? You won't get Teenpup but you should get a vanilla and fully working Puppy desktop.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar 2010, 18:28    Post_subject:  

1. The actual message as copied:
"Performing a "switch_root" to the layered filesystem..."
"Kernel panic - not syncing: Out of memory and no killable processes..."

2. I'd entered 1st:
puppy acpi=force
And then...
puppy pfix=noram
And got exactly the above warning yet again each time.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 7 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum