How is adding/removing menu items handled for dotpup/pupget?

Using applications, configuring, problems
papaschtroumpf

How is adding/removing menu items handled for dotpup/pupget?

#1 Post by papaschtroumpf »

I'm at work and can't give it a try right now but a thought occired to me:
how is the handling of adding/removing menu items done for downloadable packages? does pinstall.sh or dodput.sh handle it or is it the actual puget or dotpup handlr that does?

The reason I ask is that if we add windows managers, do we need to add support for menus?

(menus is another one of those linux things that generally just worked and never bothered to think about until now)
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

How to create a PupGet package page:

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/development ... pupget.htm

explains the "keyword" file.

The PupGet script /usr/sbin/pupget currently only manages the menus for Fvwm95 and JWM.

papaschtroumpf

#3 Post by papaschtroumpf »

yes, it's the link you pointed me to that made me suspect we could have a problem.
GuestToo, for DotPups, the the DotPup program modify the menu accordingly too?

Adding icewm to puppy would require modifying those 2 apps for full menu support, or would require modify the pinstall.sh or dotpup.sh for every package (yeah right)

This project just keeps growing doesn;t it :)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

Some dotpup installer details

#4 Post by GuestToo »

all the basic dotpup handler does is automatically unzip the dotpup, check the files integrity, and run the dotpup.sh script

what the package does is totally up to the creator of the package

this has the advantage of being very flexible ... but whatever functions the package has must be implemented by the person who makes the package

some of my dotpups have no installer ... some ask if you want to uninstall or reinstall if you run the dotpup again ... some just uninstall auttomatically if you run it again ... some install rox appdirs that have an uninstall option in the menu when you right click the roxapp icon

there are many ways to implement a package, and i did not know the best way to do it at first (i still don't know the best way, really)

the dotpup.sh script could modify wm menus (you would probably need to modify the menu for each wm that is installed) ... i have left the fvwm95 and jwm mrenus alone, because other config items are in the same file, and the configuration could be damaged so that the wm will not even run ... icewm is a lot simpler and easier to work with

icewm has a nice feature ... and programs in the menu that are not installed, do not show up in the menu ... i've mostly been taking advantage of that feature (it also works nicely with roxapps)

it might be difficult to add menu items to the correct submenu if it isn't in the menu already ... i think PupGet assumes that menu items are already in the menu and just need to be uncommented

icewm can make use of the PupGet system too ... menu items just need a # at the beginning of the line to comment it

and the dotpup handler could be improved ... i just wrote a quick and dirty script, figuring it could easily be improved later ... so far, i haven't done anything to it

papaschtroumpf

#5 Post by papaschtroumpf »

you're right, for unleashed/pupget there really would be nothing to do for icewm if it automatically hides missing entries .
The assumption is that since it's an unleashed package, it's already been entered in the menu template (albeit commented out) and the same holds true for the indel.htm helpfile.

A really well behaved DotPup would have to register itself with every possible windows manager and in the help file too.

I wonder if the fvwm95 menu file can be translated into an icewm or other WM menu file automatically. then DotPups would only have to update fvwm95 wherever they think the menu entry fits, then call the other WM scripts (such as calling every script in some /importMenu directory) for them to pick up the change.

If we don't implement something like that, we need to make sure people are aware that adding new windows managers may not provide full functionnality as far as instlaling apps.