Google-Chrome beta 2

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
GrumpyWolfe

Google-Chrome beta 2

#1 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

HI all

Trying again to get beta 2 started off right. I hope that I have put all the right libs in the in the right place to let everyone with 4.3 and newer puppy's run it.

Get it here
http://mywolfe.googlecode.com/files/goo ... -beta2.pet

Let me know how it goes for you
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]

pierro78

#2 Post by pierro78 »

working on my usb flash drive install after I removed /opt/google/chrome/chrome-sandbox as explained here : http://pupweb.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl ... 63080864/4

GrumpyWolfe

#3 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

yes that will work but is not the best answer as I have been reading the form at Google-chrome because it is a security measure. If you just nake a save file it will work as installed.
Live and Let Live

swiatmar

#4 Post by swiatmar »

working well:)
starting really fast on my NOP 413. recognized Java and flash is running.
The only problem is, that my cursor is loosing speed(freeze) when pages are loading and running above settings and address panel.
and I Have some problems with facebook...
but it is still beta .......

GrumpyWolfe

sandbox

#5 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

To all

Here is an articles that explains what sandbox is sup post to do and what it does not do in Linux it is still in development as far as Linux is concerned but I for one do not want to make a diction for everybody. So as you can see you can in Linux run without sandbox just fine but it may one day add more security from net code.

A new approach to browser security: the Google Chrome Sandbox
http://blog.chromium.org/2008/10/new-ap ... oogle.html
Live and Let Live

lugligino

#6 Post by lugligino »

Hi GrumpyWolf
I tried beta2 on my old laptop and it works great. I :) it's fast when loads pages and Flash is OK. Unfortunately Flash is a little heavy for the PII of my PC. I can see no more than 1 frame per second. :( Curiously using seamonkey I can have a good TV streaming with gxine while see a film on youtube is a mess with every browser.
I read that Chrome can work using Html5 that is less heavy for CPU. Is it possible to use it instead of Flash?
Beta2 asks me to install a plugin where gxine should work with a link that starts Mediaplayer (it doesn't install). :? Any hint?

GrumpyWolfe

#7 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

Hi lugligino

I have not played with the plugins much yet and I use xine which is about the some but the one time it asked it never did pull up xine dont know if I have it configed wrong or what. as for html5 will check the google-chrome forms later today after I get up for I work the 3rd shift almost sleep time for me
Live and Let Live

abushcrafter

#8 Post by abushcrafter »

Can't use goolge Chrome with the sandbox (I renamed "chrome-sandbox" to "chrome-sandbox_DISABLE" so it would run.). Here are the errors:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# google-chrome 
/usr/bin/google-chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/google-chrome)
/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
Cannot chdir to / after chroot: Stale NFS file handle
[581:581:8864498684:ERROR:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(528)] Failed to read from chroot pipe: 0
[581:581:8864498876:FATAL:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(621)] Failed to enter sandbox. Fail safe abort. (errno: 0)
^C I kill it here as it  does not do any thing.

DMcCunney

#9 Post by DMcCunney »

lugligino wrote:I read that Chrome can work using Html5 that is less heavy for CPU. Is it possible to use it instead of Flash?
That has to be done by the web developers on the server side. They have to write web pages using HTML5.

What you have to do is install a browser that supports HTML5. but Chrome, Firefox, and Opera are all working on supporting the emerging standard. (I imagine IS and Safairi are, too, but they're irrelevant to Puppy.)
______
Dennis

swiatmar

#10 Post by swiatmar »

lugligino,

try this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34008
It is a puppy alternative :)
Works great with flash (but has some problems with new videos on you tube)

There is no way at this moment to play videos with HTML5 using opera, firefox etc.
It doesn't support free codecs used by them :(

lugligino

#11 Post by lugligino »

DMcCunney wrote:
lugligino wrote:I read that Chrome can work using Html5 that is less heavy for CPU. Is it possible to use it instead of Flash?
That has to be done by the web developers on the server side. They have to write web pages using HTML5.

What you have to do is install a browser that supports HTML5. but Chrome, Firefox, and Opera are all working on supporting the emerging standard. (I imagine IS and Safairi are, too, but they're irrelevant to Puppy.)
______
Dennis
Hi all. I tried to switch to html5 using Chrome_beta2 on puppy but it seems not supported because loading video is unsuccessful (ethernal weel turning :? ).
Swiatmar I'll try to use the pet you showed. Thanks. :)

DMcCunney

#12 Post by DMcCunney »

lugligino wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:
Hi all. I tried to switch to html5 using Chrome_beta2 on puppy but it seems not supported because loading video is unsuccessful (ethernal weel turning :? ).
Did you read what I wrote above?

It doesn't matter if you use Firefox or Chrome. The web developer has to write the page using HTML 5. If the page is coded to use Flash, you must have Adobe's Flash plugin installed to view it. Just using a browser that supports HTML5 will not magically translate the flash code into HTML5 and let you view it without Flash installed.

HTML5 may replace Flash down the road, but first, web developers have to use it. It is an emerging standard that is not yet adopted.
______
Dennis

lugligino

#13 Post by lugligino »

DMcCunney wrote:
lugligino wrote:
DMcCunney wrote: That has to be done by the web developers on the server side. They have to write web pages using HTML5.
Did you read what I wrote above?

It doesn't matter if you use Firefox or Chrome. The web developer has to write the page using HTML 5. If the page is coded to use Flash, you must have Adobe's Flash plugin installed to view it. Just using a browser that supports HTML5 will not magically translate the flash code into HTML5 and let you view it without Flash installed.

HTML5 may replace Flash down the road, but first, web developers have to use it. It is an emerging standard that is not yet adopted.
______
Dennis
Hi Dennis,
I browsed page www.youtube.it/html5. In this page I can switch to html5 from flash and viceversa. I chose html5. After this I went again in youtube to see film, I see html5 logo in the space of the film but I can't load anything.
Now do I have to think youtube site offer the switch option and it doesn't work in the same site?

DMcCunney

#14 Post by DMcCunney »

lugligino wrote: I browsed page www.youtube.it/html5. In this page I can switch to html5 from flash and viceversa. I chose html5. After this I went again in youtube to see film, I see html5 logo in the space of the film but I can't load anything.
Now do I have to think youtube site offer the switch option and it doesn't work in the same site?
Okay, I beg your pardon. You are trying to view a site that implements HTML5.

I just tried it here. Chrome on Puppy announces itself as 5.0.307.7 beta. I can successfully join the HTML5 beta program and watch videos.

Performance is not a whole lot better than using Flash - on the machine I use for Puppy, I get a few FPS at best, and video tends to show as a series of still pictures rather than smooth motion.

What are the specs on the machine you run Puppy on, and what version of Chrome is yours? There are a couple of different Chrome pets floating around on the forums. I think I'm using Grumpy Wolfe's PET but can't swear to it.
______
Dennis

lugligino

#15 Post by lugligino »

DMcCunney wrote:
lugligino wrote: I browsed page www.youtube.it/html5. In this page I can switch to html5 from flash and viceversa. I chose html5. After this I went again in youtube to see film, I see html5 logo in the space of the film but I can't load anything.
Okay, I beg your pardon. You are trying to view a site that implements HTML5.

I just tried it here. Chrome on Puppy announces itself as 5.0.307.7 beta. I can successfully join the HTML5 beta program and watch videos.

Performance is not a whole lot better than using Flash - on the machine I use for Puppy, I get a few FPS at best, and video tends to show as a series of still pictures rather than smooth motion.

What are the specs on the machine you run Puppy on, and what version of Chrome is yours? There are a couple of different Chrome pets floating around on the forums. I think I'm using Grumpy Wolfe's PET but can't swear to it.
______
Dennis
Hi Dannis,
your excuses are accepted :mrgreen:
I have a very old notebook HP Omnibook Xe2 (1999 born, PII 256MB Ram, rivived by Puppy 4.3.1) :roll: . Everyone may expect that view flash films in youtube in a decent way is too much hard for my PC, but I can see well internet TV streaming using Gxine plugin in Seamokey (out of the box in Puppy). I can see the CPU indicator in the bar that reach himalaian heights, PC temperature increases :twisted: , but the vision is good with a sufficient fps and stable.
Flash vision, instead, is very poor because fps are too much low but CPU seems not very busy. So my hope is to abandon flash for html5 hoping that resource management is better.
I downloaded the new version goggle-chrome-beta3.pet by GrumpyWolfe and I'll try it later. I'll keep you informed.
I also tried playflash.pet but gxine crashes. Do you remember how transfer console text to a file, so I can show you the errors?

abushcrafter

#16 Post by abushcrafter »

I get these errors with the sandbox enabled:

# ./google-chrome 
./google-chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by ./google-chrome)
/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
[21364:21364:18809708245:ERROR:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(528)] Failed to read from chroot pipe: 0
[21364:21364:18809708435:FATAL:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(621)] Failed to enter sandbox. Fail safe abort. (errno: 0)
<I killed it here as it does not do any thing. Waited around 5mins to see if it did any thing but it did not do any thing.>
#
Stardust 012 with a pupsave.
Last edited by abushcrafter on Mon 01 Mar 2010, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

lugligino

#17 Post by lugligino »

abushcrafter wrote:I get these errors with the sandbox enabled:

# ./google-chrome 
./google-chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by ./google-chrome)
[21364:21364:18809708245:ERROR:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(528)] Failed to read from chroot pipe: 0
[21364:21364:18809708435:FATAL:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(621)] Failed to enter sandbox. Fail safe abort. (errno: 0)
<I killed it here as it does not do any thing. Waited around 5mins to see if it did any thing but it did not.>
#
Stardust 012 with a pupsave.
My opinion is you have to fix first the error "Stale NFS file handle" that probably derives from a corruption of the filesystem. Start puppy with the live-cd and use the option puppy pfix=fsck (you are using puppy 4.3, isn't it?). If fsck doesn't start in automatic unmount the partition (i.e. /dev/sda2) where puppy is stored and start the command e2fsck /dev/sda2 from console. This should fix errors in your filesystem and it's the first step to do.

DMcCunney

#18 Post by DMcCunney »

What happens if you don't have the sandbox enabled?

Personally, I don't try to use it here. It's largely Windows specific, since Windows has masses of vulnerabilities. It's very much a work in progress on the Linux side, and it's not clear how much you really need it.

If I just execute Chrome directly, it works fine.
______
Dennis

DMcCunney

#19 Post by DMcCunney »

lugligino wrote:
DMcCunney wrote: What are the specs on the machine you run Puppy on, and what version of Chrome is yours? There are a couple of different Chrome pets floating around on the forums. I think I'm using Grumpy Wolfe's PET but can't swear to it.
I have a very old notebook HP Omnibook Xe2 (1999 born, PII 256MB Ram, rivived by Puppy 4.3.1) :roll:
Mine is a bit newer: a Fujitsu Lifebook p2110 from 2002, with an 867mhz Crusoe processor, 256MB of RAM, a 40GB UDMA 4 HS, and ATI Rage Pro Mobility graphics with 8MB video RAM.
Everyone may expect that view flash films in youtube in a decent way is too much hard for my PC, but I can see well internet TV streaming using Gxine plugin in Seamokey (out of the box in Puppy). I can see the CPU indicator in the bar that reach himalaian heights, PC temperature increases :twisted: , but the vision is good with a sufficient fps and stable.
Okay. I have the Gxine plugin here, too, but don't try to watch Internet TV.
Flash vision, instead, is very poor because fps are too much low but CPU seems not very busy. So my hope is to abandon flash for html5 hoping that resource management is better.
Whether you can do that depends on how soon the rest of the web moves to HTML5. Right now, Youtube's beta is the only rollout I know of. (There may be others I haven't seen.)
I downloaded the new version goggle-chrome-beta3.pet by GrumpyWolfe and I'll try it later. I'll keep you informed.
Please do.

I just installed it, and haven't had a chance to test yet, but I expect to see similar results to beta 2. HTML5 in Youtube will work, but I'll see poor FPS and still pictures instead of smooth motion video. I suspect my CPU and graphics adapter just aren't up to the load, and there's not a lot Puppy can do about it.
I also tried playflash.pet but gxine crashes.
I haven't tried that one.
Do you remember how transfer console text to a file, so I can show you the errors?
Assuming you're in rxvt, the following from the man page may help:

TEXT SELECTION AND INSERTION

The behaviour of text selection and insertion mechanism is similar to xterm(1).

Selection:
    Left click at the beginning of the region, drag to the end of the region and release; Right click to extend the marked region; Left double-click to select a word; Left triple-click to select the entire line.

Insertion:
    Pressing and releasing the Middle mouse button (or Shift-Insert) in an rxvt window causes the current text selection to be inserted as if it had been typed on the keyboard. 
______
Dennis

abushcrafter

#20 Post by abushcrafter »

DMcCunney wrote:
What happens if you don't have the sandbox enabled?

Personally, I don't try to use it here. It's largely Windows specific, since Windows has masses of vulnerabilities. It's very much a work in progress on the Linux side, and it's not clear how much you really need it.

If I just execute Chrome directly, it works fine.
______
Dennis
It works without the sandbox.

My flash drive and pupsave are ok. With the sandbox enabled here are the errors after trying it again:

# ./google-chrome 
[25045:25045:1368716958:ERROR:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(528)] Failed to read from chroot pipe: 0
[25045:25045:1368717157:FATAL:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(621)] Failed to enter sandbox. Fail safe abort. (errno: 0)
<I killed it here as it does not do any thing. Waited around 10mins to see if it did any thing but it did not do any thing.> 
#