Multi-session renders CD non-bootable

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
ChrisK

Multi-session renders CD non-bootable

#1 Post by ChrisK »

Hi
Well this looks like a really great system with so much potential. I am happy to trial it.
I am intrigued with the multi-sessional capability as I had never managed to get this going myself.
I burnt the iso to a CD yesterday and successfully started the system.
I used the text editor, had a problem using Mozilla so I looked into the network gui and changed a setting to DHCP (we have an internal docking system for laptops)(this is tested on a laptop) and after connecting through Mozilla downloaded some text and exited and saved.
However, today I cannot start. It is sporadic and seemed to search for a DHCP feedback displaying the name of my network card but then stopped. I pulled out the network cable and tried again.
I have tried several times but the computer will not see the CD as a bootable CD now. It slips straight into GRUB and loads my Fedora.
I believe the network problem is a separate issue. I am not sure if I did anything incorrectly yesterday.
The system is a Toshiba Satellite running with Fedora Core 3 and a DVD/CD rewriter.
Will you be kind enough to advise me what to try. I will burn a new disk but you may have some tips first. Yes, I pressed '5' at the boot prompt in the first sequence.
I am happy to help with coding or scripting. I might prefer to see a 'standard version' and a BIG version for daily use, that is to say I do feel a need for perl and python, for netcat and gcc but you showed your colours when you chose Tcl . That's the mark of a professional. Congratulations.
Best regards from the UK
Chris

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Hi, I can't suggest anything from the description that you have given.
You will have to keep experimenting, if you want to persist with the multisession.

ChrisK

Thank you

#3 Post by ChrisK »

Dear Barry
Thank you for considering the problem.
Is it possible to use the system as a start up (say to record data to the hard drive) then later to start with a session '5' to instruct it to use a multi-session? If so it might be possible to track the error. That is it might have been a 'hang' caused by my DHCP change as clearly there is no report from other users of a problem such as this.
I really do like the system with multi-session (as with the use of ndiswrapper) it is a unique feature which I would be happy to assist with resolving.
Many thanks
Chris

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#4 Post by nduanetesh »

As you mentioned in your first post, I suspect that your network issue is a separate issue from the CD not booting. I'm confused as to what you're saying, though...did you ever get it to boot after the first time? My laptop has a problem that it will boot the multisession CD just fine the first time, but as soon as I attempt to reboot (that is, as soon as a second track has been written to the CD), the laptop cannot boot the cd. My main computer (a bit more up to date) will boot the same CD just fine.

So, maybe it's a hardware issue. Can you test the CD on a different (preferably much newer) computer?

ND

ChrisK

multi-session rebooting issues

#5 Post by ChrisK »

Dear ND
Thank you for your reply and information. I am intrigued and I will spend a little time on it today.
We will leave the network issue as this is problematic even with a standard CD ie non multi-sessional. Maybe just be getting used to the software flags.

Regarding the multi-session it seems that the writing to the CD renders it non-bootable. A flag is reset or deleted. I have a fairly new laptop. I will try it on my server here at home today though. If I can I will look at the scripts assuming these are not compiled. I have no source for this distribution. If you know where it is on the download site I would appreciate a nod. It will help to track the sequence.
We will get there. It will be worth it as this option is a good feature.
Many thanks
Chris

ChrisK

Multisession CD progress report

#6 Post by ChrisK »

Hi

I spent the morning looking at this multisession problem.

The scripts, from what I can see, are as expected excellent and comprehensive. The sysinit is clearly the result of a lot of work.

I couldn't find the closing script which activates a cdrecord to store the data back to the CD (prior to logging off) but I guess it is well tested also.

I turned to the suggestion by ND that it might be hardware related. Indeed, I was surprised that the 'faulty' CD worked quite well in my main machine. Of course the mouse did not function (usb for my laptop but ps/2 on the bigger machine) but killing the X Window revealed a little instruction to delete a file and the matter was soon resolved. Yes, I was impressed! [On a laptop what is a touchpad in Linux anyway, is it a ps/2?].

However, what was interesting on startup was that many hdc (I/O) errors were reported. This suggested that indeed the laptop CD writer (a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2212) had not written the data correctly after the first session, or perhaps even had not created the multisessional disk correctly in the first place. However, on the large machine a new test text file was correctly stored and after rebooting, successfully accessed again.

The multisession system CD containing PuppyLinux, (PL) was originally made using a program called X-CD-Roast. This permitted writing as a multisession but did not have the 'data' option available in the Gcombust program (bundled with PL). I will complete a follow through of the test now by using Gcombust (with the data option ticked) to create a multisession disk on my laptop again. If this is successful it might provide a positive outcome for others in the future. I do not know what this 'data' option does yet.

I cannot complete this further work until Monday. I am on a dial-up and drawing down a 60MB image will take too long.

Many thanks for your suggestions ND and Barry perhaps I can contribute a checklist for new users if we can resolve this.

I am encouraged to continue with it now.

Best regards
Chris

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#7 Post by nduanetesh »

Good! Glad to known I could be of some help.

I'm excited to see if you make any progress on this, as I would love to run a multisession CD on my laptop. I have limited programming ability, but can test and explore any suggestions you might have, for troubleshooting's sake. Good luck!

ND

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: multi-session rebooting issues

#8 Post by Flash »

ChrisK wrote: <>
....I have no source for this distribution. If you know where it is on the download site I would appreciate a nod....
<>
I think what you are looking for is on this page, near the bottom.