TEENpup 2009 Legacy available for Download

News, happenings
skinnie

#121 Post by skinnie »

Hi,first of all thanks for this great puppy :)
It works almost out of the box on my pc!
Although I have some "problems"

1st- I have an a4tech wineasy 4d serial ps2 mouse connected to a com port via a com to ps2 adapter,I changed xorg.conf and it works,but in the next boot it changes to ps2 again..

2nd -the suggestions on the boot appear always,even if I thick the box to don't do it.

3rd - my soundcard is not working,I think it is due to the version of alsa..I already ran alsa wizard,it detected but no sound..it is an audiotrack prodigy 7.1 pci (via envy24ht chip) - it works good in puppy 4.3 if it helps...any chance of getting a pup or pet with latest alsa or something?

Thanks for making an legacy machine working fast again :)
PS:Noobie questions:
How do I "update" pupteen?
How do I put the desktop icons organized?

Thanks again :)
AMD K6-3 450MHz-FIC VA503+ (Via MVP3 Chipset,JE4333 Bios)-2x128Mb PC133-3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16Mb AGP-Seagate 40Gb HDD-TDK880N DVD Burner-Ali 6 USB 2.0 PCI Card-ISA 3C509b Nic - ISA Reveal RA300 Fm Card - Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 PCI (Envy24-HT)

ttuuxxx

#122 Post by ttuuxxx »

skinnie wrote:Hi,first of all thanks for this great puppy :)

1st- I have an a4tech wineasy 4d serial ps2 mouse connected to a com port via a com to ps2 adapter,I changed xorg.conf and it works,but in the next boot it changes to ps2 again..

2nd -the suggestions on the boot appear always,even if I thick the box to don't do it.

3rd - my soundcard is not working,I think it is due to the version of alsa..I already ran alsa wizard,it detected but no sound..it is an audiotrack prodigy 7.1 pci (via envy24ht chip) - it works good in puppy 4.3 if it helps...any chance of getting a pup or pet with latest alsa or something?

you can try http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/2.14series/alsa/

basically install all the packages and restart your Xserver or reboot your pc and then setup alsa
username:puppy
password:linux

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

skinnie

#123 Post by skinnie »

ttuuxxx wrote:
skinnie wrote:Hi,first of all thanks for this great puppy :)

you can try http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/2.14series/alsa/

basically install all the packages and restart your Xserver or reboot your pc and then setup alsa
username:puppy
password:linux

ttuuxxx
thanks a lot ttuuxxx,I'll give it a try this weekend..
Any tips on the other questions?
AMD K6-3 450MHz-FIC VA503+ (Via MVP3 Chipset,JE4333 Bios)-2x128Mb PC133-3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16Mb AGP-Seagate 40Gb HDD-TDK880N DVD Burner-Ali 6 USB 2.0 PCI Card-ISA 3C509b Nic - ISA Reveal RA300 Fm Card - Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 PCI (Envy24-HT)

Laie

#124 Post by Laie »

On my notebook I have XP :cry: installed on sda1 (NTFS) and teenpup 2009 frugal on sda3 (ext2). Trying to mount sda1 I get a message "NTFS WARNING":

Code: Select all

The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS
partition and returned this error message:
fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
Retrying mount ...
fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
Failed to mount NTFSUnmounting /dev/sda1 (BOOT)

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used
to mount the partition read-only.
This is inconvenient.
I tried chkdsk, I defragmented c:, no success.
Other puppies are able to mount sda1 read-write.
What can I do?

john biles

#125 Post by john biles »

I've never had a problem mounting and transferring data between XP and TEENpup? Don't have an answer?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

ttuuxxx

#126 Post by ttuuxxx »

removed
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Fri 22 Jan 2010, 00:15, edited 2 times in total.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Laie

#127 Post by Laie »

ttuuxxx wrote:...install this and restart X-server and see how you go...
I came, installed an saw...
...Pmounts message: "ERROR: unable to mount sda1"...

...very inconvenient... :cool:

gabe

#128 Post by gabe »

I tried searching, but I couldn't find the minimum system requirements. Are they same as Windows 98/2000?

I have an AMD K6 at 266mhz with 48MB RAM. Will TEENpup 2009 work as well as 98/2000 on it?

If not, is there any flavor of Puppy or Linux I can use on it with the same requirements as Windows 98 or Windows 2000? Both Windows 98 and Windows 2000 work on it, but Windows XP does not (48MB RAM is not enough).

john biles

#129 Post by john biles »

Hello gabe,
I have TEENpup 2009 Legacy installed on a 500Mhz Celeron PC with 160 Mb's of Ram. I also had a 350Mhz Pentium III I believe it was with 192Mb's of Ram and they both run exceptable.
I think only having 48Mb's of Ram won't be enough and a Processor speed of 266Mhz is a bit low as well.
Maybe if you could find a bit more ram and take it to 128Mb's you might have more luck. Try booting TEENpup 2009 Legacy live from the CD and see what happens.
I'm not to hopefully that TEENpup will run on that PC in it's current state.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Colonel Panic

#130 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi, good to see someone else is trying to keep old machines working. :)

There are Linuxes which will run in 48MB, such as Basic Linux (Steve Darnold's remarkable effort which runs off 2 floppies and is based on an old version of Slackware) and Deli Linux, which I've also used in the past.

As for Puppies, I haven't tried any on a computer that old but the ones I'd try on that machine would be PULP and Turbo Extreme, both of which are based on the 4 series.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

fragaldos

hown to install etho with Teenpup legacy

#131 Post by fragaldos »

i set the new system operating Teenpup legacy is beautifoul and it 's full of programs but ihad problems when i wanted to put in internet i puted my kays but doesn't work network P_PPoE CONECION NAME (EXAMPLE ) netgeer

USER NAME : I wrote my access but, without result , what's network ( i have this name ) i don't know what's is neccessary to write .
and in the end my pasword : i wrote but is impossible to conect for serfing .there is someone that can help to me to conect ???
in enother way i have key usb wireless Tenda but it not has been possible to find the driver to serf
i help that someone can help to me From Italy Filippo
galdos@tiscali.it

TheProphet

#132 Post by TheProphet »

Got it going on two machines simultaneously, one (this) has a processor of about 800 mhz and it's a ten-year old board. and 690 megs of RAM. Of course I also swap living Hell out using a second EIDE and two SCSI HDs.

On this one the install went really smoothly, in point of actual fact I installed the Puppy for the other machine using this one, then put the disk int the other.

It wouldn't boot all the way from the CD on it. gives a bread fail when mounting the CD filesystem (squashfs) as unionfs.

But it boots all the way from the HD install. I used the "normal" install for it, I strong suspect the frugal would give me the same problem.

That machine is an older Celeron with just about 300 mhz of processor, and 190 megs of RAM. Although once I get rich I can upgrade the RAM.

So, mixed success on a PII /celeron with small RAM. Swap comes in really handy.

No luck installing it directly on the machine, but it boots and runs nicely once I got through all the various quirks.

I think also there would be a problem with the processor, it's a Celeron and the board has an AMD chipset. Intel doesn't play nice with others. It still works though, with the occasional hiccup.

Next real test project is to get it to run on a Sun-SPARC Panther board.

I understand SPARC is a lot of fun to work with.

For a serious headsplitter of a "legacy" translation "museum exhibit" machine, there's this ALL SCSI machine that IBM almost went bankrupt manufacturing, a PS2.

Which is a 25 mhz processor, a 25 mhz bus-speed and an architecture called "microchannel". Oh, and a 32 mb upper limit on the RAM.

THAT would be a feat.
He who skydive without parachute, jumps to own conclusion.

svgt

Concurrent use of LegacyOS and Puppy 525

#133 Post by svgt »

Hi,

If I want to use the two Puppys at the same drive, there is a doubt about naming the partitions. LegacyOS wants to have a hdax partition with ext2. And Puppy 525 needs a sday partition with ext3. I should hold the menu.lst in which partition and what are the naming recommendations?

Regards,
Svgt