Windows shared network directory in Puppy

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
zantar22

Windows shared network directory in Puppy

#1 Post by zantar22 »

Newbie question. Any help welcome.
I am using Puppy on a laptop as a Media Centre and can access the files
(using "pnethood samba shares"). on my windows PC in another part of the house. I there a way I can create a desktop icon in Puppy to go directly
to the my videos folder on the windows machine ?
I have tried the following script but gives errors on the second line

mkdir -p /mnt/smb/computername/sharename
smbmount //computername/sharename
/mnt/smb/computername/sharename -o
username=myname,password=mypassword
ln -s /mnt/smb/computername/sharename sharename

the multi errors are like
conversion from cp850 to UTF8 not supported
conversion from UTF16BE to cp850 not supported etc
Any assistance is appreciated TX

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

I use /root/File-Sharing. When it finds the shared folder, drag the icon from the folder to the desktop. It helps if your windows box had a static ip.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

I have tried static ip and Every Time I try to set it up on my main PC, and also set it up with the router, it is often ignored and I do not get the ip address I wanted or my internet connection fails.
So is it possible to use the MAC address of my PC for reserving an ip address or am I stuck with computer name that is causing part of the problem with ip address changing depending on if I boot Vista or Puppy on the same PC?

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

I could never get the static ip working with puppy and my old linksys router.

I've recently updated to a Netgear WNDR3700 router which lets me reserve IP addresses for specific MAC addresses.
Very handy for my music server and dynamic DNS.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

Here's a static IP post,

any use?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17396

here's a much older thread, though you'd need to convert .pup to .pet, I think - is pup2pet still in /usr/bin??

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=21929

Aitch :)

DMcCunney

#6 Post by DMcCunney »

trapster wrote:I could never get the static ip working with puppy and my old linksys router.
Which Linksys router?

On my old Linksys WRT54G v2, I could associate a MAC address with a desired static IP and assign that IP to the device each time. (I was using custom firmware called Tomato, since that model of the WRT54G was Linux based, but the capability was there in the stock firmware, too.)

The Linksys died, alas, but the old Belkin I had as a spare works well enough till I get around to replacing the Linksys. As of v5, the WRT54G halved the default RAM and shifted to a VXWorks kernel, so I'll need to get a WRT54GL model at a higher price.
______
Dennis

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

trapster,
I also have a Netgear router and have reserved ip addresses for my main PC and one other.
With windows, the correct ip address is found and assigned and the MAC address shows characters in it as Upper Case when I access the router and select "Connected Devices".
When I run Puppy on the same PC, the router page shows the MAC address with lower case characters and assigns a different ip address.
Thoughts?
Problem solved!
I had one too many ip addresses reserved on the router setup!