Can't boot from USB install

Please post any bugs you have found
SgtMuffles

Can't boot from USB install

#1 Post by SgtMuffles »

I just installed 1.0.3 and when it tries to boot from my USB stick all I get is a semicolon in the upper-left hand corner. Any thoughts? The install seemed to go rather well from the live cd...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It might help if you would tell us a little more about your hardware (how much RAM for instance) and the steps you followed to install Puppy on your USB stick.

SgtMuffles

#3 Post by SgtMuffles »

It's a compaq presario 3410 with 512MB RAM, I installed it by downloading the live CD and using the "install on USB disc" option on the setup menu

papaschtroumpf

#4 Post by papaschtroumpf »

using a newer syslinux worked for me, you might want to give it a try.
Do a search on the forum ofr how to do it
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

papaschtroumpf wrote:using a newer syslinux worked for me, you might want to give it a try.
Do a search on the forum ofr how to do it
I found it, (in the sticky index post in the Beginners forum):
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1243#1243

papaschtroumpf

#6 Post by papaschtroumpf »

yeah, you've been doing an awesome job with that sticky by the way!
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Thanks. I wondered if anyone found it useful. :)

If you notice a thread, or a post, that you think ought to be in it, please let me know. (With a link :wink: )

SgtMuffles

#8 Post by SgtMuffles »

Still no luck guys, I'm going to continue trying though...

Fox7777

Re: Can't boot from USB install

#9 Post by Fox7777 »

We have an HP ZE2113US laptop computer on which Puppy 1.0.4 Office (Chubby) is installed on the hard drive. However, we also tried to install Puppy on a 1 GB Kingston Data flash drive for demo purposes & while the install went well, we get the following repeating message when we try to boot the flash drive:

For Realtek PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.

We don't have an ethernet connection at home. Do we need an ethernet cable connection for this to work? Is this a known bug? Should we reinstall? What is the solution?

Fox7777

Re: Can't boot from USB install

#10 Post by Fox7777 »

We tried installing Puppy 1.0.5 Alpha to the USB flash drive but still could not get it to boot. Then we tried installing DSL 1.5 to the USB flash drive and it would boot. The difference in DSL 1.5 is that there is a choice between installing as USB Zip or USB HDD. That may be the difference because although we have state-of-the-art computers, none of them have a USB Zip option in the BIOS. We would suggest looking at DSL 1.5 & doing something similar in Puppy 1.0.5 before the final release so it can boot a USB HDD flash drive.

Also on this HP ZE2113US laptop we can only dialup thru the internal modem or a USB modem. Puppy needs to be able to at least run the USB modem if not the HP internal modem. Currently there is not a USB option in modem setup.