Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 22:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Loving Puppy Linux
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
phogi

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar 2010, 19:47    Post_subject:  Loving Puppy Linux  

You know what I love about this operating system? The KILL command. I tell a program to go to hell and it is instantly gone. Try THAT in windows XP!
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar 2010, 20:13    Post_subject:  

Not difficult to do in Windows through the task manager, but you're right on puppy.
Use peppyy's puppysearch
phogi

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar 2010, 20:20    Post_subject:  

Well, I have lots of experience trying to 'end now' with programs in xp, through the task manager too. Sometimes it still meant a 4 minute wait.

With puppy, it says 'kill' when I right click. I don't have to ctrl-alt-del, wait several minutes, 'end now' wait several minutes. repeat if that didn't work, etc..
DMcCunney

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar 2010, 21:18    Post_subject:  

phogi wrote:
Well, I have lots of experience trying to 'end now' with programs in xp, through the task manager too. Sometimes it still meant a 4 minute wait.

With puppy, it says 'kill' when I right click. I don't have to ctrl-alt-del, wait several minutes, 'end now' wait several minutes. repeat if that didn't work, etc..

In XP, I use Sysinternal's Process Explorer, which is Task Manager on steroids. How long it takes to terminate a process depends upon what the process is doing. Some things involving hardware access may not be able to terminate immediately, and in some cases a harw3are reset is the only recourse.

In Linux, you might want to look at the htop program. It's a console mode process manager similar to top, but will let you do things like select a program in the list with the cursor and terminate it.
______
Dennis
pa_mcclamrock

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar 2010, 22:29    Post_subject: Re: Loving Puppy Linux  

phogi wrote:
You know what I love about this operating system? The KILL command. I tell a program to go to hell and it is instantly gone. Try THAT in windows XP!

Xkill (attached) is a little program that will do the same with a single mouse click on the window of the offending program. You can run it from a menu item, create a desktop icon for it, or just enter xkill (no ampersand) at a console prompt, like in rxvt. The cursor will change to a skull and crossbones, the program will die and (if possible) go to hell when you click on the window, and then the cursor will change back to normal. This works even when a program freezes up and you can't kill it just by clicking the close button, right-clicking the taskbar, or whatnot. There's little use for it since that seldom happens on Puppy, but every now and then it does come in handy.

David McClamrock
xkill-1.0.1.pet
Description  Xkill graphical process killer
pet

Download 
Filename  xkill-1.0.1.pet 
Filesize  7.34 KB 
Downloaded  336 Time(s) 

Visit Pa Penguin's Icebox: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html
drongo

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2010, 19:01    Post_subject: Early Puppies had a bomb  

Early puppies had a small bomb symbol you could click on to kill misbehaving apps. It was a proper 19th century anarchist's bomb as well - a black sphere with a sparking fuse on top. Ahh, the good old days! Wait, what am I saying?
battleshooter

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010, 04:09    Post_subject: Re: Loving Puppy Linux  

phogi wrote:

Man, awesome, love the phrase. I know what ya mean about XP, I hate that wait, and sometimes, if you're impatient like me, you get 10 task managers and that freezes even worse... noooo

TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar 2010, 09:07    Post_subject:  

phogi wrote:

Really?

Now, I don't like the average Windows by any measure, but there are two ways to kill a process from the task manager (at least in XP), and one is actually pretty effective in my experience.

The first is what the average user might try, wherein programs- and not all of them- are listed by their descriptive name and an icon. Killing from that section seems to be like shooing flies: laborious, ineffective and full of comical flailing.
The second, though, just lists the actual processes- again, not all of them, but a lot more. There are no icons, and you can tell it's the right screen because the processes tend to end in an *.exe extension. This screen usually works for me, but you have to figure out what each process is. Sometimes that's easy, sometimes it isn't.

And is it just me, or is Ctrl-Alt-Del the long way to the task manager? I've always used Ctrl-Shift-Esc in WinXP.

phogi wrote:

Yeah, it is nice having it accessible from the window manager, isn't it?
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum