spup-451

plaguedogs

#21 Post by plaguedogs »

ive been messing with the icons for a while now and am extra confused now.

has any one noticed if you change the icon theme to flat orange, most of them show up? there is a readme in /usr/local/lib/pixmaps/x11/themes that talks about changing the color to suit different themes. maybe this could be a suitable workaround. im not sure.

deleting the empty files doesnt work either, i tried it a long time ago during ./3builddistro.
this evening i tried to remove them from a full hd install, no luck. the emptys came back when x restarted......or sometime inbetween their removal and my going back to see if they were really gone.

back to the drawing board indeed

pd

James C

#22 Post by James C »

I'll confirm that switching to the flat orange icons places most , if not all, in the menus.What that means, I'm not sure but it's a start to a solution.
Attachments
spup-menu.png
(164.9 KiB) Downloaded 1355 times

plaguedogs

#23 Post by plaguedogs »

i like your screenshot james, the yellow looks good on that dark background.
i have got my old job back ($$$$) and will be travelling for the next couple days. im going a lot closer to the north pole than most people care to get at this time of year. i will be working 12 hour days, 7 days a week, but....because its about -30 outside, and im leaving my family behind in victoria....i will have lots of time to play linux.

i seem to be the only one who has problems with the 2.6.30.5 kernel and have been working on a retro with smp. maybe when 31.5 shows up in a woofable package i can use that instead. 31.5 is in the newest woof script but i cant find the package for it. oh well, i just want my icons fixed for now.

tty in a couple days.
pd

-edit
flat orange works because those icons are generated from .svg files. it looks to me like the pngs are created when you change the icon theme.
if you look at the dir for flat orange, there is about a dozen pngs and the rest are svgs.

a guy pm'd me today about slack 13 puppy, he asked me some questions i couldn't answer. but here's his thread, i think hes on to the next big thing.....
see post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49703

Iguleder

#24 Post by Iguleder »

Don't get too excited about this, I'm currently trying to build the spup-460 I wanted to build from Slackware 13.0 packages, with slackerson's scripts.

I'll try to catch bugs n' stuff if Woof succeeds ... it should. Debian uses old, frozen packages, and Slackware just has a slow package release cycle, and I like it. I'll see what I can do with the 13.0 thing ... from all your posts here I understand that getting spup to work is easier than dpup.

plaguedogs

#25 Post by plaguedogs »

i am also going to start working with slackersons scripts. i am very excited. i think i went as far as i could with 12.2 and am ready to move on.

glad to see you back on board iguleder.

i haven't had a computer for the last week because air canada lost my bag and sent it to jamaica for the holidays. i wish i went to jamaica.....oh well my laptop came back with a good tan and an ear for reggae music.

ill post back in a couple days when i get slackersons scripts running.

dalderton

#26 Post by dalderton »

I just downloaded 451 this morning and all is well other than the Cups printing setup does not work. The initial popup comes to ask if install new printer and normally afer a small wait the default browser arrives with the goods and away we go. With this I get a page with some driver info etc then a blank page with 404 NOT FOUND This has not happened to me before with the many puppy variations I have used. Any thoughts?
Also I cannot change the number of virtual desktops,strangely Dpup is the same.I have always been able to change to my preferred number of 4 but a popup says "new config corrupt ,keeping original"
Other than these 2 items all is good.
Regards Dennis
OOPS!! I played around a bit and got my desktops etc so that was me.still no joy with Cups. D
Just tried http://localhost:631/ Result Not Found.
Patriot solved the problem with a download of a pet on the Printing with Unix thread so anyone with the same problem have a look there.
Regards Dennis

plaguedogs

#27 Post by plaguedogs »

i am doing ./2createpackages.slackerson as i type this.....451 works quite well. libpoppler can be cheated with a link or you can go ahead and install the correct poppler from slack 12.2....other than that i have been using it all the time. a few bugs here and there with the devx and src.

from here on out ill be on to 13. spup130 and beyond.

oui

#28 Post by oui »

Hi

The brightness and special key for laptop don't work correctly (Acer laptop emachine)

salut

James C

#29 Post by James C »

Just thought I'd report that I installed Fluxbox from the Slackware repository and it installed and is working fine. :)

elraven

spup451

#30 Post by elraven »

just wanted to share incase nobody has seen it. Jrb's sfs linker pet runs good in spup 451 :D
so check it out in additional software here on the forum ...
elraven

gerry

#31 Post by gerry »

Just tried spup451 on my Acer Aspire One again, using live usb. TOP shows that spup is using 27% of 1GB of ram- ie 269MB. Wow! Normal Puppies use a great deal less than that. What's it doing with it?

gerry

James C

#32 Post by James C »

Htop is showing Spup 451 using 58 mb of ram on my frugal install.
I'd be using swap if I had your results..... :lol:
Actually, the percentage is about the same, in the neighborhood of 25%.
Attachments
spup-htop.png
(40.3 KiB) Downloaded 2810 times

gerry

#33 Post by gerry »

I tried installing Patriot's pet, as dalderton suggested- still can't connect to localhost:631. Anyone actually tried this??

gerry

nooby

#34 Post by nooby »

I fail to find the download. The upload site says to contact the owner and ask him to upload it again. Gopsil mirror fails too.

does Asia or Canada have it?

Are there any other mirror for it?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#35 Post by 01micko »

Nooby

Gposil's site is down for the moment, he has had some issues I won't get into...

As far as Filefactory goes.. eek. I don't like it much though I have used it... I think if no one downloads the file within a month of the latest download they delete it.. :(

So, out of luck for spup at the moment.

Ok, nooby, I found sup-451.iso and am uploading to dpup.org.. will be there soon, I will edit this post when it's up.

Later....

Here it is..

http://www.dpup.org/01Micko/spup-451.iso
Hopefully md5sum matches plaguedogs' one in main post or mine a few posts down on first page. There was some issue with this. But iso worked fine.

REMEMBER... use wget to download from dpup.org.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

nooby

#36 Post by nooby »

I found this Slackware derivate too.

Slaxer_Pup 4.12 solid and stable

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=435 not same I guess. The first use Slackware 12? and the Slax is well Slax but maybe related somewhat? So I guess me test both.

thanks for the link.

Spup was not so well working on my desktop computer. I had to use vesa and it did not do streaming radio.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

plaguedogs

#37 Post by plaguedogs »

sorry guys i have been out in the bush for most of the winter, ill try to get a new iso up as soon as i can. my work season ends in exactly one week. then i go to edmonton to get a new truck, come back up north for a day to load up some of my things, then a 14 hour drive home, and ill be back in the civilized world. give me 2 weeks and ill have something updated

pd

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#38 Post by Flash »

Shouldn't this thread be in the Puppy Derivatives section? I'll move it there if it should.

gerry

#39 Post by gerry »

@Flash- this section is for upup, dpup, tpup, spup and so on, surely? I think that some subsections might be useful, though.

EDIT: Of course, in best Puppy tradition, there will be several of each.....

gerry

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#40 Post by Béèm »

I can agree with gerry.
Subsections would give a more structured overview of the development going on for the different types. (dpup, upup......)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]