Is Puppy your favorite distro?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Woof Woof Brysche

#1 Post by Woof Woof Brysche »

It's probably mine. I like Gentoo, Slackware, SLAX, the new Dreamlinux, and of course, Puppy!
Last edited by Woof Woof Brysche on Tue 06 Apr 2010, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Lobster"]We are a damn good distro[/quote]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Yes
Yesterday tried Elive 2
got as far as trying to load x
and then would not
Puppy preferred - just removed SuperOS (a better Ubuntu)
and Mint (a better Ubuntu) and Ubuntu (a better situation once removed)

Gonna move from distro to Puplet hopping . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

Yes, I have been using a version of Puppy for SCSI that was removed from the list because of some problems which I am sad to say that I also was involved in.
It was pup-431-scsi-intel_modems.iso.
It had the 2.6.30.5 kernel too.
I have been using it as my main OS for over a year.

I also have about 12 different puppy versions on my PC along with Vista.
The fun part is Vista sets on a 260gig partition and takes up over 180gigs of that partition.
All my puppy versions set on a 40gig partition on a second drive with their respective pupsave files.
I also made a directory on another partition on the second hard drive that holds all my iso files and another that holds all the PET files.

Does that make me a Puppy lover??

KF6SNJ

#4 Post by KF6SNJ »

Yes, Puppy is my primary Linux choice. I have been using Puppy since either 0.7 or 0.8. I do have PCLinuxOS, but that is just as a back up and compiling environment. If I could get either Sim99 or TI4Linux to compile on Puppy, I wouldn't even bother with PCLinuxOS. However, looks like I now need to learn C/C++ if I want to get that TI emulator to work. Hopefully it shall to a new Puplet, unless one of you guys beats me to it, which is fine. I can't compete with you who are true programmers.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

willie

#5 Post by willie »

My primairy distro is Mandriva but Puppy is a good second. :D
Willie

I'm on an endless mission to explore a strange new world

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

willie, you must be a lucky person. I tried out Mandriva One 2010 live/installable version yesterday and thought it was like any other linux. To boot between 7 seconds to at most 3 minutes.

It took more than one whole hour and then 30 minutes and more because that was too late in the night and I had to go to bed so I gave up on it. Okay I used a computer I bought new year 2003 winter so a bit old and not much memory in it either but puppy works great on it so I am a puppy lover and not a Mandriva lover at all. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

bugman

#7 Post by bugman »

yes, yes, yes

occasionally i think i might give slackware another shot, and then i sit and watch it boot . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

I want to test Sidux Linux and simply Mepis but I still have not found a way to do the menu.lst for them.

I tried this on sidux in a subdir but it did not boot.
It goes a long way and then fail.

title sidux Live

kernel (hd0,0)/sidux/boot/vmlinuz0.686 boot=fll noeject vga=791 fromiso=/sidux/sidux-2009-04-moros-kde-full-i386-amd64-200912310312
initrd (hd0,0)/sidux/boot/initrd0.686
could it be this part boot=fll that needs to be changed to boot=sda1 or something or to boot=satahd or whatever

this part is odd looking too.

fromiso=/sidux/sidux-2009-04-moros-kde-full-i386-amd64-200912310312

maybe it should be fromiso=/sidux/sidux-2009-04-moros-kde-full-i386-amd64-200912310312.iso instead.

willie

#9 Post by willie »

nooby wrote:willie, you must be a lucky person. I tried out Mandriva One 2010 live/installable version yesterday and thought it was like any other linux. To boot between 7 seconds to at most 3 minutes.
I use Mandriva for almost 8 years now, even on a IBM R31 which is almost 10 years old and it works great :D
I came to puppy because the SSD of my daughters Aspireone110 gone to heaven and acer won't repair it because he's out of warranty a new SSD was 150 euro, so i downloaded Puppy got me a 4gb micro usb-stick (13 euro) installed Puppy and run it from ram. Works great.
The only thing i'm not like about puppy is that you run it as root, i'm not used to that :wink:
Willie

ajlec2000

#10 Post by ajlec2000 »

Yes. Over the last few months Puppy 4 thirty one and uPup have become my favorite dual boot. I have another laptop with Ubuntu 8.10 that I like alot. The Ubuntu just worked right out of the box. Both Puppys did as well but the Pups also challenge me to learn more and I like that.

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Thanks Willie,

Do you have any clue on what Mandriva was doing for 90minutes when al lI asked it was to boot the DVD and not install anything. Did it do a defrag of teh hdd or something. what else can take that long time?

zebediah

#12 Post by zebediah »

Yes, Puppy is my primary Linux choice

racepres

#13 Post by racepres »

Yes!
Had ubuntu, too bloated [slow]
Have Mandriva, just for fun.. [see above].
Have slackware, see above, except not bloated.
Use Debian on Mac... till PowerPup "fixes" me up!
I really like the "runs as root" thing... far easier, and if some malicious type can't figure out to type "sudo" then he won't be "hacking" any linux, anytime soon!!
I have put Puppy on lots, and lots of machines... only took it off of one....
My story!
RP

willie

#14 Post by willie »

nooby wrote:Thanks Willie,

Do you have any clue on what Mandriva was doing for 90minutes when al lI asked it was to boot the DVD and not install anything. Did it do a defrag of teh hdd or something. what else can take that long time?
No i don't have a clue, normaly it takes 30 minutes to install Mandriva, except for my daughters aspireone (8 hours to install).
Defrag isn't a linux thing, try 2008.1 for a older machine with less memory, you can try MCNLive. It's a live cd which you can install build by MCNL
Willie

tubeguy

#15 Post by tubeguy »

Oh yeah. I recently got rid of Windows all together and have only dpup on the lappie. Still have Windows on the desktop but I spend more time with Puppy Photo Artists Workstation than Windows.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

battleshooter

#16 Post by battleshooter »

Yup.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

rokytnji

#17 Post by rokytnji »

All My Puppy Partitions have AntiX installed side by side. I like both equally.
I have no favorites.

sullysat

#18 Post by sullysat »

I have tried a variety of different distros since I started exploring Linux a few years ago, but I keep coming back to Puppy.

As a hobby, I restore old hardware and every machine I build has some sort of Puppy so far. The only exception to this rule is my main business machine, which is running Fedora. As much as I love my Puppies, I just can't get the experience I need out of it yet from a business perspective (I'm still working on it though!)

I'm going write some blog posts at some point, but in October of last year, I completely moved my business from M$ to Linux. I still have XP running in a virtual box for ONE application, but as soon as I can get that to run in Wine, I will wash my hands of it forever.

So, yes, Puppy is my favorite distro and the only one I continue to use no matter what.

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

stu90

#19 Post by stu90 »

Yes puppy is my favorite distro, i use it (well choice of now 8 frugal puppy installs) as my main and only OS. I started with XP then got a new laptop with vista pre installed used that for a while them moved on to duel booting ubuntu, eventually wiped vista altogether as it was so bloated an resources heavy and distro hopped around the big distros, settled on xubuntu for a while then moved onto crunchbang linux and now here i am using puppy - i like light weight bloat free OS and puppy linux fits that category and me perfectly.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#20 Post by Billwho? »

willie wrote:The only thing i'm not like about puppy is that you run it as root, i'm not used to that :wink:
While Puppy is still not multi-user by default, Pizzasgood created a version of 4.2.1 that had the option to become multi-user.
I am not sure about 4.3.1 but I am fairly sure that 4.4 will be using Pizzasgood's multi-user option when it gets released.

Yes Puppy is my favourite Distro. I do use Ubuntu on the local LUG's machine but am not very impressed with it.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.