Lose wired LAN DHCP again and again repeatedly.

nooby

Lose wired LAN DHCP again and again repeatedly.

#1 Post by nooby »

I tried to search but failed to came up with the needed search word to find a thread that could help me.

This happen on Ubuntu and mint too so it is a typical linux thing because windows has some kind of script or code that answer the dhcp in a way that let it retain the connection when it ask for acknowledgement that one need it to be open.

Has any some link to a pet or something that have that needed script.

I remember vaguely that someone did such a script or pet+

But it was way above my grasp to get at the time me read about it but I want to solve this issue.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Are you connected through a router that you can configure? My modem/router started dropping my IP lease after an hour or so when I changed to Puppy 4.3.1. I had to go into the modem DHCP configuration and change the IP lease time to 12 hours. I don't know why it didn't require this with earlier versions of Puppy.

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

wish I knew what kind of "modem" I have.

Originally it is a fairly normal kind of modem or looks like it.

but it set by the ISP to their needs and they don't tell us customer the secret settings. they don't allow us to change them either.

If we log into them and change things then we lose the right to be a well behaving customer.

As you know I am not good at computing. I have tried to ask how they works but they see that as an attempt to know how to work around their policy of good behavior as a customer.

Now, we pay for IP Telephone and Internet and TV via the montly payment for living in these rooms. Very cheap living.

125 persons own the houses together. Bostadsrättsförening the official name of the construct.

You pay a high sum of money and then the montly payment is relatively low compared to if somebody else own the houses. So you have a local Board of Direction sort of and a service paid for. A kind of Janitor taking care of the garden and snow on the roads and fixing things that malfunction and doing the cleaning of stairs and such.

So they decided that we all pay a small sum regardless of if we make use of internet or not. And the ISP just send us a the individual modem that are set up as they wish to allow us to talk over their SIP protocal and we are not allowed to log in and change to use other SIP providers.

I tried to read what the "Modem" says about itself from the Company that make them .

C Force Voip Gateway XG6545P2

homepage for the model

http://www.xavi.com.tw/Product.aspx?PLT ... M=XG6545p2

but the problem is that the ISP has payed them to send a version of it that is set up to not allow us to log in to it.

so it is blocked from access by us and only they can open or close things.

It sounds very good when one read the features but as a customer one have no access to it.

The situation is like when you buy a Mobile "Cell" Phone that is locked to the at provider. You have to unlock it to use it as you wish with other providers of service.

here is what the xavi company says
XG6545p2 is a state-of-the-art new router with the latest advanced broadband connectivity technology. With a built-in 4 port 10/100 Base-TX switch, it is effortless to build a LAN and share Internet access.

XG6545p2 features the integrated NAT technologies, including enhanced much higher level of security and firewall protection to shield your internal network and stop intruder and hackers from accessing your network.

XG6545p2 flexible design lets it work with a variety of platforms, PC/Mac, and with different operation systems.

It can also be connected with FTTH devices, cable modems or any one of the XAVi xDSL series modems/routers to obtain broadband Internet service.

Web-based user interface facilitates the management and easy way to share files, resources and access with other LAN users.

XG6545p2 supports two POTS ports for user to make VOIP call. SIP protocol will be supported at first to save user more money via Internet.

anyway the ISP send out periodically a kind of "acknowledgement request" and if the software doesn't respond as the protocol says then they close the connection as one that are not in usage anymore to free the IP to somebody else.

so what I need is a script that says yes I want to use this connection automatically when asked or that request a lease or something. I know too little about the details.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Can you try an older version of Puppy to see if the problem goes away? Or maybe a different browser would do it. I don't know enough about how these things work to make a good guess.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

I have some 15 to 18 different puppies on my HDD that I have tested since Dec 2009 or so. I think it has to do with how linux handle such stuff.

What do you think of the router modem with switch that I have.

How can I write in CLI to know if the NAT thing is implemented or not?