Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Apr 2014, 06:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Retrovol 0.13.1 (Volume mixer)
Page 2 of 12 [180 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jan 2010, 21:35    Post subject:  

@disciple: I assume you got the dimensions from JWM rather than measuring them yourself? It appears that JWM lies when it comes to retrovol (or maybe GTK is lying to JWM for some reason). If you try to resize it (manually) to the smallest possible, it will call that 0x0, even though it isn't really 0x0. The numbers it shows are indexed from there, which explains why you got numbers smaller than you expected.

Try making a screenshot and measuring it that way (take into account that the dimensions you choose set the interior, not including the window decorations).

@Barry: I implemented what you wanted tonight - it will only run one instance now, and any attempts to start a second instance will just pop up the main window and then return. I haven't made a new package yet, because I want to get the i18n stuff wrapped up first. I'll probably do that tomorrow. (Of course, what's done so far is already in the SVN.)

Plus I noticed some GTK error messages today that I want to sort out. But that might just be because the GTK installation in the Puppy I'm running right now is a little iffy.

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan 2010, 01:03    Post subject:  

Version 0.2 is uploaded, see the first post.

Changes:
    Set it to only allow one instance.
    Adjusted configure.in so that src/gettext.h is included in dist tarballs.
    Finished tagging all strings for gettext i18n.
    Updated the pot file to include those strings.

If you look at the program's --help output, you'll see a -show option. Ignore that. I've decided that I did it backwards. The -show behavior should have been the default, and there should be a -hide option instead. I'll correct that with version 0.3 whenever I get around to that. But I'm too tired to do anything else tonight. Worked all day on my side-job. Good pay though. Better than you cheapskates give me Wink.

Hmm, I need to give it a -v option sometime too.

Oh, and those errors I mentioned above only happen in that installation. I don't see them in a normal Puppy. Apparently in the version of GTK I'm using, one of the features I used has been deprecated. Will have to look into that for 0.3 also.

disciple

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010, 20:11    Post subject:  

Quote:
(or maybe GTK is lying to JWM for some reason)

I think maybe it is a JWM issue. xwininfo tells me the same size as in the Retrovol settings.

For some reason I thought you said we could control the balance by right-clicking or shift-clicking on the slider or something. But I think I might have imagined it; I can't find any way to control the balance with Retrovol. Is that right?

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
disciple

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010, 20:25    Post subject:  

Interesting... it survives through `jwm -restart`, but unlike parcellite it doesn't survive if I exit jwm and then restart it (Without exiting X of course).

Code:
(retrovol:7181): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to `GtkWidget'

(retrovol:7181): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_display: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(retrovol:7181): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_xid_table_lookup_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(retrovol:7181): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to `GtkWidget'

(retrovol:7181): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_display: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(retrovol:7181): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010, 20:37    Post subject:  

Nope, no balance yet. That's one of the next things I intend to do (I have my rear speakers hooked up to an amp, so I adjust their balance there, but I have to do my front speakers through software. So I need this too.). I'll see if I can figure out the JWM survival thing sometime too.

For now though I'm taking a break from Retrovol and instead focusing on QwikLinK - a simple program to let me load programs onto the microcontroller boards we use in the "Embedded Microcontrollers" class I'm a TA for. I have two boards from there, but currently I have to use the Windows program QwikBug that a former student wrote to program them (or I could use the PicKit 2 programmer, which I believe there is Linux software for, but it would be simpler to just use the serial port like QwikBug). QwikBug requires the .net framework and I don't feel like loading that beast onto my already cramped laptop and trying to get it running in Wine. So I grabbed the source code and I'm working on reimplementing the basic features (not the debugging stuff) in C++. As of tonight I think I have it mostly done, it just needs some more safeguards. Except I don't have the chip with me to test with so I'll have to wait until Monday (visiting my grandparents this weekend.)

ajlec2000

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb 2010, 11:52    Post subject: Thanks  

I installed Retrovol in my Puppy 4.31 powered Dell Inspiron 1501. I made it the default volume control and thus far it works as advertised.

Thanks, my puppy is that much closer to perfection now.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010, 01:43    Post subject:  

I have uploaded version 0.3. I fixed the bug Barry mentioned on his bug involving the slider showing up on the taskbar. I also added the -v/--version option. Finally, I replaced the -show option with -hide, and made the corresponding change in functionality - now running plain "retrovol" will pop up the main window in addition to creating the tray icon, while running it as "retrovol -hide" will only create the tray icon.

IMPORTANT: If upgrading, you will need to adjust your ~/.xinitrc file to use the -hide flag.

See the first post for download link.

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010, 20:15    Post subject:  

I found an error in the previous version (actually, in the last two or three version, but it didn't do anything until now), so I fixed it and uploaded a new version. The problem is I had an array that was 7 characters long that was supposed to hold a string that was 7 characters long - which sounds okay until you consider that strings need an extra character for the null terminator. So the null was being written over the next variable, causing things to break when you use the -bg and -hide options in conjunction.

So, I fixed that and uploaded version 0.4 today.

01micko

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar 2010, 06:21    Post subject:  

Hi Pizzasgood

I tried to install retrovol-4 in a tpup I made from the latest woof and it failed. It installs to /usr/local/bin and therefore the original that BK has in woof is found first ... it's in /usr/bin.
Also, the .desktop file needs some attention.... [show? Wink ]
Cheers

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar 2010, 23:37    Post subject:  

Not to sound cold and uncaring, but I didn't even include a .desktop file, so that isn't really my problem....

(Though I probably should start including one with the package now that I have the -hide option vs. -show option finalized.)

You generally should not install packages over other packages. Especially when the two packages come from different vendors! You should either uninstall the old version from the alternate vendor before installing a new one, or else wait for that vendor (aka Barry) to update their package to the new version.

Retrovol is open source (in fact, all of the code that I wrote for this has been released into the Public Domain - but not the eggtrayicon stuff I included, which is LGPL), so you can always recompile it to suit your own needs. To have it in /usr/bin you would just download and expand the source package, and run the following inside it:
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

Of course, you should uninstall the existing version(s) first.

01micko

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar 2010, 01:43    Post subject:  

hehe! Pizza's not so good cold!

Ok, understood, thanks for reply. (er, I should have checked the .pet)

Cheers

stu90

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar 2010, 13:38    Post subject:  

Thanks Pizzasgood - works a treat on Dpup. Smile
technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar 2010, 13:51    Post subject:  

I kinda like cold pizza. Will test in 4.4-testing
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar 2010, 14:31    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
hehe! Pizza's not so good cold!

Ok, understood, thanks for reply. (er, I should have checked the .pet)

Cheers

Yes mick in Australia the pizza is terrible, and cold its even worse, North American pizza is far better, more toppings, better cheese and pepperoni, etc. Man I miss pizza from Canada its was really nice, plus there no curds in oz, how are you suppose to make a poutine?
ttuuxxx

magerlab

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar 2010, 10:27    Post subject:  

i use retrovol with xfce4 with tray in upper panel and slider appears in the center of the screen
Page 2 of 12 [180 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: