hd install partition changed; is it recoverable??

Using applications, configuring, problems
timcriger

hd install partition changed; is it recoverable??

#1 Post by timcriger »

So i've been happily using Puppy 1.0.7 hd installed for weeks now. I've done a whole bunch of customizing, and just love it.

Now, here's the problem... i decided to use the Puppy LiveCD to install Grub as my bootloader... and in the middle of setup (adding my two Linux partitions to the grub.conf file), Grub just quit. ...But, it didn't get to the point of installing Grub to the MBR. So, i fugured, no harm done...

So I shut down the computer, restarted with the Puppy LiveCD, now /dev/hda3 (my Puppy install) only appears to contain /boot/grub/ ... and nothing else!!!

So, i really don't think the /dev/hda3 contents were erased. Is there some way of recovering what is on the drive? What has been damaged?...the partition table, some log?

Please help me recover my partition.

Thanks,
Tim

timcriger

#2 Post by timcriger »

help

babbs

#3 Post by babbs »

Tim,

I'm not sure what happened to your data partition. Were you doing anything you haven't already mentioned? What is your other Linux partition? What is on hda1 and hda2? are there any other partitions?

I am looking forward to seeing your response and the response of those who can actually help you with some advice.

Babbs

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

When you say you installed Puppy 1.0.7 a few weeks ago, do you mean to your hard drive? If so, how were you booting without GRUB?

timcriger

#5 Post by timcriger »

babbs and Flash,
Thanks for your response; sorry i've taken a while to answer.

I have one hardrive (/dev/hda), partitioned thus:
hda1 ntfs winxp
hda2 swap sw
hda3 ext2 puppy107 full hd install
hda4 ext3 blag30002

Lilo was already installed on mbr by vector previously, and I had been enjoying my triple boot environment, with Puppy as my main os.

But i decided to try blag linux. When it installed Grub, it no longer booted to Puppy (i checked the grub.conf file, and did not understand what was wrong.)

So i figured i would just use the puppy livecd to just reinstall grub with a new grub.conf (since i didn't understand how to edit manually). Well, that's where we pick up with the problem. The Grub install halted (as described previously), and now hda3 appears to only contain "/boot/grub."

A small detail: as the puppy livecd grub install was adding my two linux partitions to the grub.conf file, its dialog box told me it was adding "/dev/hda3 /dev/hda4" as a linux partition to boot and it needed a label. So is it possible that it tried to add hda3 and hda4 as a single linux system? and this messed something up?

In any case, i don't think the actual data on hda3 has been lost, just that it is indexed wrong or something... how might i discover this?

thanks,
Tim