Quirky 008 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#81 Post by 01micko »

Ever so close to working in the tpup I built today... I hacked it to include ndiswrapper in the build and sns-2.. that didn't work so rebooted pfix=ram and tried sns-2.1.. so close! Network wizard (dougal's) connected.

Hold the phone, will be back with Quirky-008 results in a moment (or a few). BTW, I built this tpup without Pwireless2.

Cheers

EDIT: Ok, so less than 10 minutes later I'm online with Q-008 (pfix=ram).. but.. I had exactly the same issue with sns-2.1 as in tpup, falls over at last jump..for some reason dhcpcd is just not working for me in sns. The log is correct, as in correct essid, key, channel etc. I had to resort to the network wizard, but the ndiswrapper driver was correctly loaded with sns and saved.

I'll test sns-2.1 with my save file on this old machine.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#82 Post by 01micko »

Barry

I was just experimenting on the commandline ..um .. because sns-2.1 failed on my Q-008 save file too... but I might have a break through, at least for WEP encryption anyways.

Code: Select all

iwconfig wlan0 key open XXXXXXXXXX
the key (pardon pun) word being "open".. it's in tempestuous' "HOWTO"

Ran dhcpcd and straight online.

Cheers

############################

Here's the bugfix for WEP ONLY in sns-2.1

at line 383 in /usr/local/simple_network_setup/sns

case $BUTSEC in
       WEP)
        echo "STEP5: iwconfig $INTERFACE key open $SEC_KEY" >> /tmp/sns_wireless_log
        iwconfig $INTERFACE key open $SEC_KEY
       ;;
the word "open" (in lines 385 and 386) is not there.. add it and it should be all good for WEP with (and probably without) ndiswrapper.

Connected on first attempt in a matter of seconds with sns.

Cheers :D

yarddog

Gnumeric Missing Libraries

#83 Post by yarddog »

Minor problem in Gnumeric. When attempt to format cells, program closes.
When run from command line receive following errors::
gnumeric

(gnumeric:11291): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(gnumeric:11291): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file '/usr/share/goffice/0.6.6/glade/go-rotation-sel.glade'

(gnumeric:11291): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file '/usr/share/goffice/0.6.6/glade/go-format-sel.glade'

** (gnumeric:11291): CRITICAL **: go_combo_text_set_text: assertion `IS_GO_COMBO_TEXT (ct)' failed

(gnumeric:11291): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_selection: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(gnumeric:11291): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_selection_select_path: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_SELECTION (selection)' failed

(gnumeric:11291): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2310: instance `(nil)' has no handler with id `0'

(gnumeric:11291): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_entry_set_text: assertion `GTK_IS_ENTRY (entry)' failed

(gnumeric:11291): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2352: instance `(nil)' has no handler with id `0'
Segmentation fault
information only for future release
[/quote]

Leon

#84 Post by Leon »

BarryK wrote:I am now releasing Simple Network Setup version 2.1.
I tested Simple Network Setup version 2.1 on Sony Vaio VGN-CS215J laptop with Quirky 008 manual frugal installed and booted with pfix=ram.

Simple Network Setup version 2.1
At first I tried to setup my wireless connection by using Simple Network Setup version 2.1.
All attempts to setup my wireless connection failed.
See the attached log file.

Puppy Network Wizard
After that, I managed to successfully setup my wireless connection by using Puppy Network Wizard without any problem, the same as in previous Quirky versions.
See the attached profile picture.
Attachments
PuppyNetworkWizard.profile-Quirky-008-Vaio.png
(37.9 KiB) Downloaded 2181 times
sns-2.1.log-Quirky-008-Vaio.tar.gz
(473 Bytes) Downloaded 787 times
Last edited by Leon on Mon 15 Mar 2010, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

mmmrr

simple network setup seems foiled by hidden ssid

#85 Post by mmmrr »

simple network setup seems foiled by hidden ssid

otherwise, smooth progress on elderly p-2 laptop,

which runs wireless with 412, 214X,,cheers, mm

BarryK
Puppy Master

#86 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Barry

I was just experimenting on the commandline ..um .. because sns-2.1 failed on my Q-008 save file too... but I might have a break through, at least for WEP encryption anyways.

iwconfig wlan0 key open XXXXXXXXXX
the key (pardon pun) word being "open".. it's in tempestuous' "HOWTO"

Ran dhcpcd and straight online.

Cheers

############################

Here's the bugfix for WEP ONLY in sns-2.1

at line 383 in /usr/local/simple_network_setup/sns

case $BUTSEC in
       WEP)
        iwconfig $INTERFACE key open $SEC_KEY
       ;;
the word "open" (in lines 385 and 386) is not there.. add it and it should be all good for WEP with (and probably without) ndiswrapper.

Connected on first attempt in a matter of seconds with sns.

Cheers :D
01micko,
Would you mind testing this:

case $BUTSEC in
       WEP)
        iwconfig $INTERFACE key open
        iwconfig $INTERFACE key $SEC_KEY
       ;;
I'm trying to understand just what that "key open" does. The docs sure are muddy.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#87 Post by BarryK »

01micko,
I've been reading. It seems that that "key open", although it works for you, might not for others. So, I might do this in the script:

iwconfig wlan0 key <key>
then run just 'iwconfig' and see if there is a valid entry for "Access point:"
If not, then run this:
iwconfig wlan0 key open <key>

Um, let's see, to put this into the script, temporary technique just for testing:

sleep 10
[ "`iwconfig $INTERFACE | grep 'Not-Associated'`" != "" ] && iwconfig $INTERFACE key open $SEC_KEY
...I presume that you would get "Not-Associated", but you could check, just stick another 'iwconfig $INTERFACE' and see output in terminal:

sleep 10
iwconfig $INTERFACE
[ "`iwconfig $INTERFACE | grep 'Not-Associated'`" != "" ] && iwconfig $INTERFACE key open $SEC_KEY

BarryK
Puppy Master

#88 Post by BarryK »

Another thing to be aware of with WEP. I have only been working with hexadecimal WEP keys. They can be entered in ascii, but that requires a "s:" prefix, for example "s:abcdefghijklm" -- if I recall rightly, 13 characters required for a 128bit WEP key.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#89 Post by Béèm »

BarryK wrote:Another thing to be aware of with WEP. I have only been working with hexadecimal WEP keys. They can be entered in ascii, but that requires a "s:" prefix, for example "s:abcdefghijklm" -- if I recall rightly, 13 characters required for a 128bit WEP key.
For the moment I am in a holiday resort and got a 5 letter ascii key for WEP.
I give s:abcde and it works.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#90 Post by 01micko »

Hi Barry

I did try the new adjustment to sns, but it did not work, However I was not running pfix=ram. Will try that this afternoon.

Cheers

tom4jean

SMS works after reboot, no sound

#91 Post by tom4jean »

Running Quirky 008 frugal install with the new SMS 2.1 on;
Compaq cq10 netbook.
Atom n270 processor.
1gb ram

When I first ran SMS it saw my network but using WAP I got the error that it could not connect saying something about my wireless adapter not supporting WAP2. (I know my adapter does support WAP2)
HOWEVER: :lol:
After creating pupsave and rebooting it worked and it connected with WAP2 when I ran the sms wizard again.
I don't know why I didn't do anything different, except of course to reboot and create a pupsave.

The regular Dougal Puppy network wizard tool worked the first time with WAP2 prior to making the pupsave and rebooting.

Separate issue;
Sound does not work at all.
No woof-woof on initial boot, turned up volume in tray to max.
No sound in any applications.
Ran Alsa sound wizard; no sound, and after I ran the wizard the volume control in the tray disappeared? strange.
Per the "hardware information" under system tools I have an "HDA intel" audio adapter. (high definition audio intel, per the alsa wizard.)
Edit;
Ubuntu has this info about the sound card, and incidentally I do have sound on Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7;
Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller.

black

feedback

#92 Post by black »

Hey B.K.,

-Here's a show-stopper! Booted up "Quirky-008" from HDD, very "dark" screen when got to desktop. Everything is visible on-screen except for brightness being so dim that everything's washed out. Can't see well enough to attempt a remedy (old eyes), tho, if I crank up the monitor backlite, its a bit better, but not much. Able to access drives/apps from the desktop icons but further investigation is prohibitive due to bad display visibility.

Hardware: ATI X800XT gpu, Sony KLV-S32A10 (tv as monitor via VGA), 1360x768 native res.

The very same "darkness" issue noted with "tpup", which uses the very same (I think) base. Since both tpup and quirky have different kernels, I would guess that "xorg-7.5" or "T2" is problematic. Left word with "ttuuxxx" on this same issue as "tpup" was installed to HDD (preferred SMP-kernel), to see if I could chase the problem...nada as yet!

black

tubby

#93 Post by tubby »

@tom4jean, did you click on the speaker icon, (i cannot remember if it was right click or left click) and set the volume and any other controls you need?.

tom4jean

#94 Post by tom4jean »

@tubby

Eureka!
I did not know about that sound control panel when you right click.
The check mark next to "speaker" volume control was not ticked and once I ticked it it works! I guess with this particular hardware the additional control for "speaker" needs to be unmuted. The master "volume" control was ticked by default but not "speaker" I would guess under other architecture such as a desktop the "speaker" control might be for the little pc speaker on the mother board but on my net book it controls the regular speakers.

@black
I had the same behavior with my screen being dark green and the mouse moving very slowly on the screen when I loaded the live cd of Quirky on my desktop to make a usb stick to install it to my netbook.
I guessed at the time it had to do with xorg too and the fact that I was running on a large desktop with a large wide flat screen display, but I did not report it because I have run other puppy versions on it without a problem and figured that it was just something about Quirky and that it is made for netbooks not a desktop machine.
But it made me nervous running it because I believe you can mess up your monitor with the wrong refresh rates and such set in xorg.
Mine suffered no ill effects and at least I was able to get the usb stick made.

I also wanted to report to Barry the SNS 2.1 is still working perfectly.
This was the second time I booted into Quirky again after making my pupsave and it immediately connected on its own to my wireless network.
I am really enjoying Quirky on the netbook,
Thanks again for an incredible "work of art" in the linux world.
AKA: tom4jesus; Running Quirky 1.0 on Compaq cq10 netbook
Search the Puppy Forums to find that elusive PET;
[url]http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxSearchEngine[/url]

black

feeback

#95 Post by black »

Hey B.K., all,

Resolved! Just needed to tweak "xorg.conf" for default-depth=24. For some reason, my hardware didn't appreciate standard-default-depth of 16, tho previous puppies never complained. Likewise, fixed the very same issue with "tpup".

This may be a stumble-block for noobies...

black

stu90

#96 Post by stu90 »

Don't know what is done differently in quirky but i can't get touch pad tapping to work on dell inspiron 1501 laptop have enabled touchpad tapping in mouse wizard and rebooted :(

frugal install, hard.info lists synps/2 synaptics touchpad

yvonne

#97 Post by yvonne »

- tip for saving sessions with quirky-009?? 'session not saved' -

really settling in with quirky versions.
One thing, and I'm hoping I've just been very very stoopidly AS:

I get no option for saving any session ever. Initially after first boot or otherwise. I'm using grub2 to boot a frugal install which as I've learned can/should be just the 3 files moved off the iso onto what is my usb stick.

So: how dumb or unlucky searching am I?

Can sessions not bee saved with Quirky-009

I like quirky so much I might live with it.... hehehe

hmmm, ok so maybe I have to create a save file with 431 and put that at the root level?

Sorry to ask here. um, gotta know I guess.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#98 Post by BarryK »

yvonne wrote:- tip for saving sessions with quirky-009?? 'session not saved' -

really settling in with quirky versions.
One thing, and I'm hoping I've just been very very stoopidly AS:

I get no option for saving any session ever. Initially after first boot or otherwise. I'm using grub2 to boot a frugal install which as I've learned can/should be just the 3 files moved off the iso onto what is my usb stick.

So: how dumb or unlucky searching am I?

Can sessions not bee saved with Quirky-009

I like quirky so much I might live with it.... hehehe

hmmm, ok so maybe I have to create a save file with 431 and put that at the root level?

Sorry to ask here. um, gotta know I guess.
You should be able to create a pupsave file.

Do you have Grub2 installed on the hard drive, and you made a menu entry to boot Quirky off the usb stick?

After it boots, what is the content of /etc/PUPSTATE? ...that might tell me why the shutdown script /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown is bypassing asking to create a save file.

T_Hobbit

#99 Post by T_Hobbit »

Posting from my Acer Aspire One Quirky009 booted.
SNS detected my WPA wireless network, asked my key and that was it. Connected successfully!
Problems so far:
- ayttm doesn't work with my pt@euro keyboard.
- temperature doesn't show and battery % is not correct
- tapping doesn't work, even after changing xorg.conf tap option.
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Icon background in quirky still not tranparent.

#100 Post by Béèm »

In quirky 009, the background of icons is still solid black and not transparent.
Kinda annoying.

Any reason for this?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]