Quirky 010 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
smokey01

#61 Post by smokey01 »

01micko wrote:
Hi Smokey

You prompted me to test dvd playback :) . Guessing the 'vesa' driver is loaded for you..( :( ) .. DVD is working fine for me on my old box with an old nvidia Vanta card using 'nv' driver, except that there is a problem when clicking the full screen (the four arrows) button, it moves the screen to 0,0 but that's all, must maximise to see it close to full screen. Last I tested DVD on this box was in Q-006, it is recorded in that thread, I think it was fine.

Cheers
01Micko,

Nope! Xorg at 1280x1024. I also tried Xorg at 1024x768.
Occasionally you will see a bit of the picture, very jerky and sound is very low too. You have to kill the app too as x doesn't work.

I haven't tried Xvesa yet as I haven't worked out how to change it in this version of Quirky.

tronkel

#62 Post by tronkel »

01micko wrote:
Ah... I used an Icewm-1.3.5.. so maybe it's not so strange, see earlier screeny
Sorry, misunderstanding there. I meant I got no joy with starting Openoffice in Quirky 010 simply by installing ICEWM - but OK, otherwise I get the same result as you do with ICEWM 1.3.5me2.

Some missing menu items, but no more black backgrounds. So the black menu icon backgrounds seem therefore to be a JWM problem. This is the case for 24 bit only though.

On my hardware the dark screen problem appears even in ICEWM but at 1400x900 16 bit - so this is a separate problem.

I'm wondering if the ATI driver module that's included in this latest kernel is the culprit here. An interesting experiment would be to unload this module and try something else such as MU's proprietary fglrx dotpet. Problem could be here that I don't think there exists a version of MU's dotpet for fglrx that's compiled for this latest kernel.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

01micko

#63 Post by 01micko »

Hi Smokey

AFAIK Xvesa is not in Quirky. ("Xvesa" and "vesa" are different animals :wink: )

"vesa" is the generic Xorg driver and since you have a later model nvidia card I almost bet that that driver is loaded in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I have trouble playing any video on this old box if "vesa" driver is loaded. I can manually load "nv" driver in xorg.conf and it all works well for me. There are 2 nvidia drivers, "nv" and "noveau". Maybe you could try either of those in your xorg.conf, but I would recommend to use the xorgwizard and going to "test", just click enter at the test window and another dialog screen will appear and you should choose the "tweak" option. I'm guessing you'll get three options in the list.. "vesa", "noveau" and "nv", try them out. Using xorgwizard, the worst that can happen is that X wont start in which case you can run xorgwizard again.

Good luck!

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

smokey01

#64 Post by smokey01 »

01micko wrote:Hi Smokey

AFAIK Xvesa is not in Quirky. ("Xvesa" and "vesa" are different animals :wink: )

"vesa" is the generic Xorg driver and since you have a later model nvidia card I almost bet that that driver is loaded in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I have trouble playing any video on this old box if "vesa" driver is loaded. I can manually load "nv" driver in xorg.conf and it all works well for me. There are 2 nvidia drivers, "nv" and "noveau". Maybe you could try either of those in your xorg.conf, but I would recommend to use the xorgwizard and going to "test", just click enter at the test window and another dialog screen will appear and you should choose the "tweak" option. I'm guessing you'll get three options in the list.. "vesa", "noveau" and "nv", try them out. Using xorgwizard, the worst that can happen is that X wont start in which case you can run xorgwizard again.

Good luck!

Cheers
Hi 01micko you are quite correct. It is the vesa driver that is loaded. And I also note that Xvesa is not in Quirky 0.10.

I installed the patched version of Gxine via the package manager and guess what? It works perfectly without changing any of the drivers.
It looks like the problem may be in Mplayer.

I'm actually typing this and watching a DVD on Gxine at the same time in Quirky 010.

Regards Smokey

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

sns selection list for routers

#65 Post by Béèm »

Back home now I tried sns.
There are so many routers seen by sns here in the building and around that the fields to enter the WEP key are way off the screen.
Last edited by Béèm on Sun 21 Mar 2010, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

Re: sns selection list for routers

#66 Post by 01micko »

Béèm wrote:Back home now I tries sns.
There are so many routers seen by sns here in the building and around that the fields to enter the WEP key are way off the screen.
Hello Béèm

Myself and tasmod have been developing "Startmount" (see sig). This is relevant because in the next version we are going to use a checkbox gui but to cater for many many drives (over 12) we convert the gui to a tree which is scrollable. Maybe Barry could implement something like that if say, there are over 10 networks detected. You would have a similar issue with the Network Wizard too perhaps?

Cheers

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#67 Post by Béèm »

01micko,
With Dougal's netw wizard when doing the scan, I have a scrollable list, which is fine. The field to enter the codes are still in place.
Time savers:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#68 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:
As I understand, we've looped through and found we need "open", that works, wlan0 is up, then I guess iwconfig should run again but it's not. I don't think the timeout should make a difference because when I run dhcpcd manually it is connected in roughly 8.5 seconds.
Sorry about that. A loop-count variable was reaching zero one-loop too soon. Try this...

This 'sns' and 'rc.network' also has support for sending an empty Client ID, that I posted about:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01445
Attachments
rc.network.gz
Place at /usr/local/simple_network_setup
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
sns.gz
Place at /usr/local/simple_network_setup
(8.7 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Last edited by BarryK on Sun 21 Mar 2010, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

01micko

#69 Post by 01micko »

Barry

One more thing I should remind you about SNS.. my main box connects first go.. the only difference is that ndiswrapper is used on the old box. I might try my usb adapter on my old box, see if there is a difference.

Er post crossover! :lol: Yes I will try that too.

Cheers

`f00

#70 Post by `f00 »

dunno, just . . . dunno

Maybe it's me or a bad run of bad choices. Somehow I thought perhaps this quirky could put it together (fix the pieces/parts I had-have in q008 - nice even if dredging the lower layers for hard-to-reach functions is a bit inconvenient), but q010 gives me a hard time with saving on demand or by choice at shutdown/reboot so far. I came to regard any save as a fluke since the end result was almost always to boot to the base and start from square one - loose notes follow, fwiw.

Starting in q008 (to mangle a bugman idea, the poor remastered baby might be considered 'unreasonably sane' since the last few boots have been RAMFULL after the multisession savedirs have loaded .. some early stuff on the remaster like wine and most all of mycons theme is there but not up - she retains a high level of functionality in spite of the condition :lol: ). Actually this is real basic bh stuff of procreation (BK bloodlines breed well!), a few moments in the crib for mystery of xdelta and such.. (mm, so hard to give up all the personal amenities here like openbox usw...)

___firstlook___
Nope, Xorg is same as previous for me at boot (needs edit to get it proper so test displays, almost-right is only for wasting time playing horseshoes..). For me the proper driver is "ati", not the suggested 'radeon' ("ATI Technologies Inc" replaces 'Unknown Vendor', "RV280 [Radeon 9200]" or "RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE]" replaces the 'Unknown Board' entries and the buses get switched for the two cards so the agp is primary as spec'd in BIOS). Or so all previous successful xorg.confs have worked on this rig. Setting up for extended or multi monitors was a minor pitb even in win32, so haven't bothered in pups (yet).

Keep forgetting notecase is in personal rather than document category :| Some sort of menu-edit (like from stardust) would be helpful in trimming. Oh well, nico's quite doable. Fonts are nice and crisp (xftdpi is fine at default? 78). Jwm is same-old alpha-issue-in-quirky warts but otherwise seems fine. Retrovol r-click File->Configure still kills it (or at least poofs it out of tray and whacks the window) - manual edit for the rc (looks like a whole lot of fun there, 200? sliders/ctrl on r-click isn't too many if you know what you're doing (the top bunch corresponds to alsamixer, but the rest :? ). Alsamixer not on menu - BUT the trash barks when fed, so it's academic for me atm .. set rox options to personal pref (no wonder gtk officially deprecates spin buttons since they really bog for sizing sometimes).

I can understand Béèm's (and others') point of view on jwm alpha-issue (yep BK, no prob with any other wm or app besides Jwm as far as I can tell - e16 chroma-ghosts a bit for me but that's just stale cache in e's mo) - small but annoying like a pebble in your shoe (menu is not that awful, but say abiword or any non-black alpha'd icon on the header/titlebar just makes for a 3rd-rate look on an otherwise fine wm)

(minor polish dept) Small glitch with pmount in tabview? Usb sticks have an "optical" tab, optical drives/discs have a "floppy" tab - kind of simple fun guessing what's under the tab :) (no such fun in single-page view)

Crud, 'musical disc trays' seems to be back (not for long, %#&@) .. (actually disc trays sometimes properly prompted a la JP and other times would play silly in/out games). Lost almost every session of testing 'til I finally gave it up as a bad job when it went to kybd/locale/tz intro for the last time a few hours ago. Most everything seemed fairly doable in session, reboots and even re-Xs were iffy. Likely my bad since I used a liveCD boot and smallish savefile on thumb with what may possibly have been an unwise mod in this particular setting (PG's save/no-save option edited in on the /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown file - usually I really prefer to have a choice as to whether to save or not). Might even be the el-cheapo Kingston thumbdrive

pri

#71 Post by pri »

i run openoffice on quirky and get this :
unable to get gail version number
then i cant move anything

and i try make puppies from woof updated and use the last one. and got hang too.

so this is mybe something wrong with the new update.
Learning by Doing

jpeps

#72 Post by jpeps »

pri wrote:i run openoffice on quirky and get this :
unable to get gail version number
then i cant move anything

and i try make puppies from woof updated and use the last one. and got hang too.

so this is mybe something wrong with the new update.
Definitely not OO friendly.....

01micko

#73 Post by 01micko »

BarryK wrote:01micko wrote:
As I understand, we've looped through and found we need "open", that works, wlan0 is up, then I guess iwconfig should run again but it's not. I don't think the timeout should make a difference because when I run dhcpcd manually it is connected in roughly 8.5 seconds.
Sorry about that. A loop-count variable was reaching zero one-loop too soon. Try this...

This 'sns' and 'rc.network' also has support for sending an empty Client ID, that I posted about:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01445
Same result, log is almost identical. Still running "dhcpcd wlan0" in console to connect.

What I will do, at some point during the week, is extract the wg311v2 from my old box and put it in my main box. It is a lot closer to the router and I waste about 70% less time booting pfix=ram! I won't rest until we resolve this one. I don't give up on these type of issues. :)

IMO, FWIW, is that the breakdown occurs in the "while" loop in the "Big For Loop".. it's not in front of me so no line number but it starts "while [ 1 ] ; do.. "

The rt73 usb based adapter connected first go on my old box, so it's not the box. However wireless performance was so much more sluggish. It's due to the physical location. On the wg311v2 I have an after market 6" antenna connected so performance, once connected, is great, given the location. Funny thing too, with the wg311v2 I get more networks listed when iwlist is run.

Cheers

sinc

#74 Post by sinc »

I posted earlier that this is the first puppy I have been able to keep and continuous wireless connection without reestablishing every 60 seconds or so. Well let me expound... Using internet connection wizard I get "unable to find a live network". using pwireless2 I get "unable to find an active device" using SNS i get connected and everything works right EXCEPT it is not persistent over my next boot. when I boot up again I have to rerun SNS to get connected to the internet again. is there a way to see why SNS has to be rerun to connect again?

nooby

#75 Post by nooby »

Worked on my machine that usually fail with the graphic setup in quirky 08 and q06 and so on. so thanks for the change.

What I don't like is that Q10 doesn't have what puppy431std have.

GXine can do both .flv and .mp4 while Q10 can not.

I write in it now. It doesn streaming video good. Can do ram or rm files from streaming radio so very good.

I have not tested the nv or novea nvida drivers. I just accepted what it suggested and that wrked out of the box.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Terryphi

#76 Post by Terryphi »

Several of us have reported that OpenOffice causes Quirky 010 to completely freeze requiring a reboot.
Has anyone found a solution? Is this just a problem with OpenOffice or is part of a wider problem with added sfs files?

Béèm

#77 Post by Béèm »

I only tried wine 1.1.20 and pidgin 2.6.1 as added sfs's.
No problem with these.
In my case OOo isn't a sfs and I have the problem likewise.
Time savers:

jpeps

#78 Post by jpeps »

009 works fine. I'm guessing 010 involved some kernel changes that break OO (vmlinuz & initrd.gz differ). Pwidgets doesn't work on either (except the clock)..

tronkel

#79 Post by tronkel »

If there exists a choice of kernel versions in Woof, a version could be built as a retro of Quirky 010. If Openoffice.org works in this retro, it would prove the point that the kernel is to blame.

If I get time over the next few days, I'll have a go at this.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Jim1911

#80 Post by Jim1911 »

jpeps wrote:009 works fine. I'm guessing 010 involved some kernel changes that break OO (vmlinuz & initrd.gz differ). Pwidgets doesn't work on either (except the clock)..
See here for 01micko's fix on pwidgets.