How do I get online with DSL? (Not on a network.) (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Byebillbye

How do I get online with DSL? (Not on a network.) (Solved)

#1 Post by Byebillbye »

:D Hi all! New to puppy,and I think its great,but I cant seem to figure out how to get online with my Verizon dsl account.I am hardwired to my laptop(not wireless),and I usually use a pppoe to connect,but the pppoe included with puppy,while I seem to get it to work(Ithink),wont let me connect with mozilla(I dosent recognize I am connected.)I never had this problem before with other distros,and I am sure I am doing something wrong,just cant figure it out.I could realy use a step by step here,if anyone has the time to do it,from begining to end on how to get online with a non-networked dsl connection.My thanks in advance to one so bold as to do this. :D
"In life there are many paths,one is lined with broken glass,one has a friendly penguin to guide you....whats your choice?"

Byebillbye

An add on ......

#2 Post by Byebillbye »

:D Sorry,I forgt to say I am using the latest version,1.0.3,with mozilla,not puppy unleashed.Thanks!! :D
"In life there are many paths,one is lined with broken glass,one has a friendly penguin to guide you....whats your choice?"

Leon

DSL setup how-to

#3 Post by Leon »

I made the following steps to set up my ADSL connection in Puppy 1.0.3:

1. Click Start / Network / Roaring Penguin PPPoE ADSL.
2. Click the 'New Connection' button in the RP-PPPoE window.
3. Enter Basic, NIC and DNS, Options tab settings.

Basic
Connection Name: Siol
User Name: myadsl
Network:
Pasword:******

NIC and DNS
Ethernet Interface: eth0
DNS Setup: Specify
Primary DNS: 193.189.160.11
Secondary DNS: 193.189.160.12

Options
Y (checked) - Allow use by non-root users
N (unchecked) - Use synchronous PPP
Firewalling: Stand-Alone

4. Click Start button in the RP-PPPoE window and wait a few seconds.

You should change at least the following settings with appropriate data for your connection:

-Connection Name:
-Pasword:
-Primary DNS:
-Secondary DNS:

I hope this would help.

Byebillbye

I did all of the above except......

#4 Post by Byebillbye »

I did all of that,except I dont know my DNS setup,or where to get it.Keep in mind that I am recieveing and releasing packets with the set up I have,using RP-PPPoe,I just cant get mozilla to realise I am online.It keeps saying Im not.Its very frustrating,as the only thing stopping me from using puppy full time is this. :(

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#5 Post by nduanetesh »

Not to insult your intelligence, but let's make sure we've covered the basics...

did you run the Ethernet wizard? (Start/setup/ethernet wizard) If puppy automatically recognizes your card, then the wizard should see the card and be able to set up dhcp for you. Click "Test-eth0" first to make sure that puppy sees your cable is plugged in and alive (assuming, of course, that eth0 is the ethernet device through which you want to connect). If that goes well, click "Configure_eth0" and have puppy see if it can pull an IP address. If all goes well, you should be connected. (At least, this is how I have connected every broadband connected computer I've used with puppy. Well, all except one, but that's another story.)

Something else to try, though I'm not sure if it will work if the wizard fails...

at an rxvt prompt, type:

dhcpcd eth0

where "eth0" is the device through which you'd like to connect.

Good luck.

ND

Leon

#6 Post by Leon »

I did all of that,except I dont know my DNS setup,or where to get it.Keep in mind that I am recieveing and releasing packets with the set up I have,using RP-PPPoe,I just cant get mozilla to realise I am online.It keeps saying Im not.
That's very unusual.

1. It is important first to start RP-PPPoe to establish the connection with Start button in RP-PPPoe window. If two green squares or one green and one yellow square appears in RP-PPPoe window than the connection seems to be OK.

2. After that, start Mozilla and click File menu. If Work Offline option is checked, then unchecke it.

If still won't work, then maybe you'd try to install Firefox.

#7 Post by Guest »

If there is no dns entries how are the names going to be converted to IP addresses ?

Try pinging 64.233.187.99

you should get a reply.

add these to your resolv.conf as a temp measure

nameserver 210.80.58.42
nameserver 210.80.58.34

Then try browsing.

If all is ok find out YOUR dns server ip addresses.

Byebillbye

Figured it out.....

#8 Post by Byebillbye »

I went on my old distro,Linspire,clicked on my connection,and bingo,there it was,my DNS server IP address!!Typed it in and walla:all is right with the world,and now Puppy is my main distro! Thanks to all,great forum! :D

danleff

#9 Post by danleff »

Nice!

Verizon gave me DSL for free for 30 days. I'll try this during the weekend. Never did DSL before.

When I asked the Verizon salesperson about Linux support...(silence).

If this is not in the wiki, perhaps it should go in. If not, I will be willing to add it if no one minds.

Update: I have Verizon DSL up and running!
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith