Start file in: /etc/init.d runs app. but no arg. [ Solved ]

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
sunburnt

Start file in: /etc/init.d runs app. but no arg. [ Solved ]

#1 Post by sunburnt »

As said, the app. starts and works except for the command line argument to pop up ROX.

Typing "ps -C auto-drive" gets: " 4612 ..... /bin/sh /root/my-applications/auto-drive/auto-drive -rox"
It shows that auto-drive was run with the argument "-rox", running "auto-drive -rox" in rxvt works fine.

I assume that the variable that holds the argument gets lost in the rest of the boot process?

Update: I tried exporting the variable to see if it would carry through the boot process... Nope.
Last edited by sunburnt on Thu 25 Mar 2010, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Success.!!! It works properly when I put the command line in the file: /root/.xinitrc

SO... This is a very good argument for my suggestion in my other post: "Q and Suggestion".
Why not have a dir.: /etc/init.x for startup files to run any apps. late in the boot process?
It appears that using the standard startup dir.: /etc/init.d has some serious drawbacks...

Shel

#3 Post by Shel »

There's always /root/Startup for your own start-up stuff.

-Shel

sunburnt

#4 Post by sunburnt »

It looks like that dir. is what I was looking for, I searched /root/.xinitrc for a dir. like this.
I wonder what script it is run from?

seaside

#5 Post by seaside »

sunburnt,

Another possibility is placing the startup program in JWM like this

Code: Select all

<StartupCommand>program-name</StartupCommand>
Programs placed in /root/Startup are run at the end of the /usr/sbin/delayedrun script.

Cheers,
s