Make a multisession live-DVD in overwrite mode? [solved]

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
noryb009

Make a multisession live-DVD in overwrite mode? [solved]

#1 Post by noryb009 »

I am currently running Puppy Linux 4.3.1 on a live-DVD (DVD+RW), and I want to use overwrite mode, but it is saving in tracks. Is there any way to change this? I want to keep the old save files, but I will start again if I need to. Thanks!
Last edited by noryb009 on Sun 28 Mar 2010, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Not sure what you mean by overwrite mode. Puppy will save sessions when you shut down if you choose that option the first time you shut down after booting from the DVD, but only if the DVD was burned as a multisession DVD in the first place.

The best way I've found to burn a multisession Puppy DVD is to use Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd to burn the Puppy DVD. You can do that after booting Puppy from your present DVD+RW in a DVD burner. Just leave the DVD+RW in the burner and use Burniso2cd to burn the Puppy iso to it. (Of course, if the iso is not saved somewhere such as a hard disk drive in your computer or a flash memory, you'll have to download it.) This will create a multisession DVD. You will have to reboot to use it though, and whatever settings you have made to Puppy will be lost. After that though, you can update to newer versions of Puppy by burning the new version the same way, and saving to the newly burned DVD when you shut down.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

noryb009

#3 Post by noryb009 »

On http://www.puppylinux.com/multi-puppy.htm, it says "Each session is saved as a "track" (well, except for a DVD+/-RW in overwrite mode)". Is that function still available?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I think "track" is a technical term from the CD specification, but I'm not sure exactly what it means. I am sure that, according to the CD specification, a CD can contain no more than 100 tracks.

I think all the data on a multisession Puppy is recorded on a single "track" according to that specification, even though it is recorded at different times and in separate sessions. I don't know if the DVD specification includes the "track" idea, or, if so, whether there is a limit on how many tracks a DVD can have. I can tell you that a DVD can contain many more than 100 sessions, at least the kind of sessions multisession Puppy saves. When I first started using multisession Puppy I experimented to see how many sessions could be saved on a DVD. I can't remember how many sessions were saved on the DVD before I gave up, but it was way over a hundred. Something like 150.

I don't know what overwrite mode is. Burniso2cd will not burn an iso to a DVD-RW that has something already on it, without blanking the disk first, but will burn an iso to a DVD+RW without having to blank it first. Perhaps that is overwrite mode? You can use any kind of CD or DVD to make a multisession Puppy, except a DVD-RAM.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

As I understand your text you mean that one should be able to write to a rw dvd and tell it to delete some tracks to make room for new one to be added overwriting the space the deleted tracks made use of.

I trust they are not specified to allow this. One can obviously blank the whole rw and start all over but I don't trust one can do as on an usb that one delete and then write on same space again.

most likely it is not thought of when they set up the structure to allow for this to happen. One must start with a blanked condition to be able to reuse it. One can delete so it is not loaded but that doesn't add any space to be used for overwriting until one blank all of it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

noryb009

#6 Post by noryb009 »

Ok, thanks for your help! I guess I'll be stuck with tracks.

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Nory, don't get me wrong now. I am not criticizing nor do I want to act like a keeper of the rules guardwatchman either.

But when a thread has reached a kind a conclusion then the Original Poster is supposed to change the title using the advanced editing feature from

Make a multisession live-DVD in overwrite mode?
to
Make a multisession live-DVD in overwrite mode? [Solved]

I miss that very often and then the regulars here tell me

As you might guess the purpose is to makes it easier for those that want to help out to not have to read a whole thread to only find out Aah it is solved already.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Nooby, in this case I'm note sure anything was solved. :lol:

noryb009

#9 Post by noryb009 »

Oh, sorry.

bones01

#10 Post by bones01 »

Hi Flash,

earlier in this thread you made these comments:
Flash wrote:Not sure what you mean by overwrite mode. Puppy will save sessions when you shut down if you choose that option the first time you shut down after booting from the DVD, but only if the DVD was burned as a multisession DVD in the first place.

The best way I've found to burn a multisession Puppy DVD is to use Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd to burn the Puppy DVD. You can do that after booting Puppy from your present DVD+RW in a DVD burner. Just leave the DVD+RW in the burner and use Burniso2cd to burn the Puppy iso to it. (Of course, if the iso is not saved somewhere such as a hard disk drive in your computer or a flash memory, you'll have to download it.) This will create a multisession DVD. You will have to reboot to use it though, and whatever settings you have made to Puppy will be lost. After that though, you can update to newer versions of Puppy by burning the new version the same way, and saving to the newly burned DVD when you shut down.
I'm unclear on what you intend. I'm using WindowsXP and download the iso there and burn to a disc using burnCDCC and all goes well. As I read your post, are you suggesting that I should use Burniso2cd from the disc that is already running puppy; or that I should load puppy, then insert a new blank disc and burn it then?

Thanks for your help
bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Either one will work. :)

If the Puppy you burned with Windows (ideally, on a DVD+RW) won't do multisession properly, you can at least use Burniso2cd while running from it to burn the Puppy ISO on the same disk (remember, it's rewritable.) After Burniso2cd has successfully burned the disk, shut down without saving, boot from the newly burned DVD, configure as desired, then shut down, saving to the CD (or in this case, DVD).

If the disk you burned with Windows is not rewritable, then obviously Burniso2cd can't burn to it and will have to burn another disk than the one you're running from. Other than that the procedure is the same as above.

After you've got it to work you'll see it's very simple. It's just difficult to explain, at least for me. If I still didn't make it clear, let me know and I'll try again. :(