Needed Main Topic Organization Structure To This Section

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
bigpup

Needed Main Topic Organization Structure To This Section

#1 Post by bigpup »

INTERNET Post:

I made a list of links to programs dealing with the internet.
I posted this less than 24 hours ago and it has had over 400 views.
That tells me that the Additional Software (Pets, N' stuff) needs some
main topic organization structure. Yes you can find stuff, but it is all under one heading ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE.

Are you seeing this moderators?
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 29 Mar 2010, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Are you volunteering to update and maintain this? :lol:

bigpup

How to maintain?

#3 Post by bigpup »

If you look at the post INTERNET. the first statement says how it can be done. The person authoring a new program can add a link to his post under this main heading. If this gets established as the norm, it should maintain itself.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I'm sorry if I seem negative, bigpup. I do appreciate the fact that you're trying. I just think the idea of a self-maintaining index is an impossible dream, and I can tell you from experience that the phpBB forum software does not lend itself to making or maintaining any kind of index, at least not one as big as would be required to organize this forum.
That could probably be overcome by maintaining the index offline using a word processor, and simply pasting the result into a forum message compose window. But the forum software is only part of the problem. Somehow the information has to find its way into the index, which means the maintainer has to be told about new .pets and where they are. Also, links should be periodically checked to see that they are still good. Depending on people to let you know when a link is dead won't work. Even if they want to take the trouble, they won't know who to tell.

bigpup

Moderators input needed

#5 Post by bigpup »

Moderators of the section Additional Software (Pets,n' stuff) give us some input on this idea.

If you look at the post (INTERNET) you can see what is possible in a short period of time. The first page shows what can be done. I made it in less than 30 minutes.
They got to the moon by saying it can be done.
Lets stop saying no way and start making it happen. You people, that make new programs for Puppy, are the best. But putting them all under one heading (Additional Software) makes it very hard to find what you have done.

Look at the post INTERNET and see what is possible!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53931

It can be done! It can be done! it can be done! it can be done!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Tell you what, bigpup: I don't want that many sticky posts at the beginning of a section, so I won't make all those threads into stickys. If you'll make a post with links to the categories you've started (Like so: I'll make it a sticky. I'll probably have to lock it so it doesn't turn into a thread with lots of unrelated posts. I'll unlock it for you when you need to edit it. Call it Index of Additional Software or something like that.

What do you think?

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

Sounds like just what's needed. :D

That's what I like to see = POSITIVE THINKING. 8)

Eyes-Only

#8 Post by Eyes-Only »

AMEN!! ( In response to Sylvander that is! )

And I applaud you BigPup for... well! ...obviously being just that - a "Big Pup", realising that we have a huge need here and doing what you can do to help meet that need.

I likewise applaud Flash because, while he was first quite pessimisstic about the idea ( no offense Flash, okie? ), has done what any great moderator would do - and that is assist BigPup in all his capacity.

I just wished I'd thought of it all first. ;) LOL!

Good luck gentlemen! Start your engines - and may this improve our ability to find great software to feed our puppies! :D

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

DMcCunney

Re: Needed Main Topic Organization Structure To This Section

#9 Post by DMcCunney »

bigpup wrote:INTERNET Post:

I made a list of links to programs dealing with the internet.
I posted this less than 24 hours ago and it has had over 400 views.
That tells me that the Additional Software (Pets, N' stuff) needs some
main topic organization structure. Yes you can find stuff, but it is all under one heading ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE.

Are you seeing this moderators?
Recommendation: instead of making threads for each section, with one post per program, make an individual post for each section, and collect the links into one post. You can use the Edit function to update the pasts as programs are added, changed, or deleted. Add the Subjects of the posts linked to as descriptions for each link.
______
Dennis

DMcCunney

Re: Needed Main Topic Organization Structure To This Section

#10 Post by DMcCunney »

Dupe post.

bigpup

Index listing

#11 Post by bigpup »

Flash Wrote:
Tell you what, bigpup: I don't want that many sticky posts at the beginning of a section, so I won't make all those threads into stickys. If you'll make a post with links to the categories you've started (Like so:

INTERNET
MULTIMEDIA
etc.)

I'll make it a sticky. I'll probably have to lock it so it doesn't turn into a thread with lots of unrelated posts. I'll unlock it for you when you need to edit it. Call it Index of Additional Software or something like that.

What do you think?

One thing that needs to happen is for Authors, of programs, to help with inputting links to their programs in the main topic posts. The first statement in each post tells them what to do. Anyone could add a link if they want to help.
I made the topic posts like this so I would not be the only one who could edit them.

See if this will work!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54034

Sylvander

#12 Post by Sylvander »

Just found the "INDEX ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE", and have added a post with link to this in my thread at the PC-Guide.

Oops, hadn't seen your post when I first submitted mine.

bigpup

remove comments from main topic posts

#13 Post by bigpup »

Flash,

Could you remove the comment posts that are in the INTERNET and FILE-SYSTEM main topic posts and move them to this location?

mikeslr

Thank you bigpup and Flash

#14 Post by mikeslr »

Well minded searches are great. They've served as an index when you're searching for something. But text books have, as well as an index, a Table of Contents, showing how the information is organized, providing a 'shap-shot' of that organization with a 'link' --the page notation-- of where subject matter can be found in relation to similar subject matters.

Thank you bigpup for realizing that Puppy Linux 'Pets 'n Stuff' needed a Table of Contents, but one which (the Puppy Forum being a community effort) should be interactive.

Thank you Flash for seeing the sense behind bigpup's initial efforts and placing the 'Table of Contents' where it belongs: a sticky near the beginning of the 'Pets 'n Stuff' sub-forum.

As a 'Table of Contents' each sub-listing on the thread can do more than just provide a naked link to a pet. It can provide a 'shap-shot' of the pet or SFS linked. I expect that most posting will not have to be as extensive as the one's I posted regarding InfoCentral. That application is both rather complex and not well known.

mikesLr

bigpup

posting a link

#15 Post by bigpup »

mikeslr,

Yes! Your post to the FILE-SYSTEM main topic thread shows exactly what this can do. You post a link to a program thread and give a brief info statement on what it is. You got the idea.
You inputted new info and I did not have to do anything.
Thank you!
Now there is a new link to a program under FILE-SYSTEM main topic.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53933

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: remove comments from main topic posts

#16 Post by Flash »

bigpup wrote:Flash,

Could you remove the comment posts that are in the INTERNET and FILE-SYSTEM main topic posts and move them to this location?
I can remove posts from a thread but I cannot add them to another thread. I can only start a new thread with them. If you are the author of the posts you want moved, you can make a post in this thread, paste into it the contents of the posts you want moved from the other places to here, then send me a PM with the URLs of the redundant posts so I can delete them.

bigpup

This is starting to work

#17 Post by bigpup »

People are starting to catch on to what I am trying to do, provide a listing of programs under main topic headings.
If you go to:

INDEX ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE

select a topic heading

you will go to a list of links to programs for that topic.

The big thing is, these Main Topic lists can be added to by ANYONE. If you find a program post, that is not listed, you can add a link to it in the appropriate main topic list. Some people have done this and also realized that when they post a link, it can give a brief info statement about the program.

One big thing about this, WE CAN ALL HELP to improve these lists and make it much easier to find all the great programs that are in the section ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE (Pets, N' Stuff)
Last edited by bigpup on Sun 04 Apr 2010, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

I think your idea is fine bigpup, but 1 thing, Dingo's (forum member) site is called Dokupuppy I think, maybe change that name to avoid confusion. Dingo's work around here is excellent and the dokupuppy site is a great puppy resource.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bigpup

Re: This is starting to work

#19 Post by bigpup »

bigpup wrote:People are starting to catch on to what I am trying to do, provide a listing of programs under main topic headings.
If you go to:

INDEX ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE

select a topic heading

you will go to a list of links to programs for that topic.

The big thing is, these Main Topic lists can be added to by ANYONE. If you find a program post, that is not listed, you can add a link to it in the appropriate main topic list. Some people have done this and also realized that when they post a link, it can give a brief info statement about the program.

One big thing about this, WE CAN ALL HELP to improve these lists and make it much easier to find all the great programs that are in the section ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE (Pets, N' Stuff)
I started this less then a week ago and it looks like some people can see the benefit of making it easier to find programs in ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE (Pets, N' Stuff). I have no problem adding to these lists and helping people find programs. I am not a programmer or very good at this stuff, but I did not want to come to this forum and just be a user.

What I do not understand are the people, that add programs to ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE (Pets, N' Stuff), do not seem interested in trying to make this work. You would think that going to all the trouble of making a program, you would want to make it easy to find. It would take them 2 minutes to post a link to their new program post in the appropriate MAIN TOPIC List.

Anyone can add to these MAIN TOPIC lists. If you are one of the people that have.

THANKS!!!

lstandish

#20 Post by lstandish »

[Moved here from the UTILITIES thread]

bigpup, thanks for your effort at organization.

At the top of each program category thread you said,
"Program authors list your utility programs:"

However, you have made the postings on various programs yourself, rather than waiting for program authors to do it. So we (I'm the author of the snap2 backup program) cannot edit or add anything. For example, snap2 has a forum project page, but I can't add that to the snap2 listing here. Did you want us to send you material to edit/update our program entries?
--
Lloyd
snap2 rotating snapshot backups for Puppy/Debian Lenny/Ubuntu
The convenience of full backups with the speed and disk economy of incremental backups
[url]http://standish.home3.org/snap2[/url]