playdayz

Lucid Puppy 005 - Bug Reports

#1 Post by playdayz »

Here are my test setups.

1. Phenom 9850 with Radeon 3850, wireless zd1211rw
2. Phenom x4 B50 with Radeon 4670, wired ethernet
3. IBM Thinkpad T22, P3, with S3 Savage graphics, wireless Atheros
4. Athlon 64 3200 with Nvidia 5200 graphics. wired ethernet
5. Intel Atom with intel graphics, wired ethernet (I seem to get none of the flashing that is reported on intel graphics)
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 09 Apr 2010, 03:26, edited 3 times in total.

playdayz

#2 Post by playdayz »

Gtkdialog -> Apps that use gtkdialog have wonky formatting. Ubuntu 10.04 does not have gtkdialog included. The gtkdialog from 9.10 (Karmic) does not work with some Puppy gtkdialog programs. The gtkdialog that is installed is from Puppy 400. Someone should know how gtkdialog works well enough to find the problem?

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38608

There you will find Patriot's patched gtkdialog, I don't know if it will fix it but it may. I will try later, off to work now.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Creation of save file.

#4 Post by Béèm »

creation of save file

Up to know I had no problem to do a first boot with pfix=ram and have the panel at the end of the session if I wanted to create a save file.
Not with this lucid 003. I just got the puppy saved message and that's all. Some other puppies do the same thing.

So I applied plan b, being starting with pfix=ram and psubdir=
This time I got the panel to create a save file.

Up to know nobody could explain this phenomena.

So I think there is some bug, but I have a circumvention.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

network configuration not persistent between boots.

#5 Post by Béèm »

network configuration not persistent between boots.

Already in lucid 002 I had this.

I use the SNS to configure the network.
At every boot I have to do the configuration again.
Time savers:

Béèm

Stardust theme for desktop icons

#6 Post by Béèm »

Stardust theme for desktop icons

Not a bug, but mentioned to have focus here.

I like the stardust theme.
So I copy it when installing a puppy not having it.

Could it be possible to include the stardust theme also in lucid?
Time savers:

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

My nvidia video was found with lupu-002 and worked to get me to the desktop.
It does not work in lupu-003.
I am there now after selecting xvesa.
abiword crashes when selecting the Change Modify styles and also crashes when trying to do a spell check.

Geany needs to be included for those that want it for programming.

Black background behind menu icons seems fixed.

I will check out video using xvesa and get back to you.
video using xvesa plays fine in full screen mode. Tested with YouTube and HULU.
Just out of curiosity, if you installed the nvidia driver specific to your PC, that would crash nvidia that is not same as yours.
I only mention this since you asked someone if glxgears worked.

gxine fails on showing video for mp4 files. Audio only.

playdayz

#8 Post by playdayz »

Hey 8-bit, Thanks for your help and feedback. if you read the section int he first message on Video drivers, you will see why it worked for you in 002 but not in 003--because 002 did not have the nouveau driver and 003 does. In that section it also tells how to get around that--by removing the nouveau driver and rerunning xorgwizard. I wanted to ee what happened adn the same thing happened to me with my Nividia 5200--I had to remove nouveau and once I did that then the nv driver worked just as in 002. In 004 I think i will go back to the way it was in 002, unless someone can figure out how and why to use the nouveau driver.

I agree with you about Geany--I am not going to make many additions at all--just the basic Puppy, but Geany will probably be an addition.

perhaps you could run AbiWord from a prompt in a terminal and then look at the messages when it crashes and see if they tell you anything useful. This will get more attention as we get the basic down.

And thanks Beem, there will be more work on these things as the graphics settle down.

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

First, up and running with xorg after removing the file.

Second, Format-Create or modify styles in running abiword from a terminal gave

Code: Select all

bash-3.00# abiword

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_title: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_get_label: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_markup: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_selection: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_selection_set_mode: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_SELECTION (selection)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_get_label: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_markup: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_label: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_label: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_add: assertion `GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_add: assertion `GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(abiword:22743): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(abiword:22743): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(abiword:22743): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_dialog_set_default_response: assertion `GTK_IS_DIALOG (dialog)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_modal: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(abiword:22743): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(abiword:22743): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Aborted
And Selecting "ABC"(spellchecking) also crashed abiword and gave this:

Code: Select all

bash-3.00# abiword

** (abiword:488): WARNING **: Error loading plugin: unknown dl-error

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_title: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_text_with_mnemonic: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_text_with_mnemonic: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_use_underline: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_label: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_use_underline: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_label: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:488): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(abiword:488): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(abiword:488): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_set_model: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_insert_column_with_attributes: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_column: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_column_set_sort_column_id: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW_COLUMN (tree_column)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_selection: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_show_all: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_dialog_set_default_response: assertion `GTK_IS_DIALOG (dialog)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_modal: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(abiword:488): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(abiword:488): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Aborted
Hope it helps you.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

driver=radeonhd--then save and Menu -> Shutdown-> Restart X server. Does it work? What happens? What graphics card do you have?
Radeonhd pet -> http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/radeonhd.pet
Is that pet working OK - I downloaded and got an error
when trying to run
- However the good news is I did not need it
After a probe in Lucid 003 during boot up a radeon driver was installed and the screen is OK
Radeon 4350HD is the card

May try and download and run the pet again later
Now going for a bike ride . . .
:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

James C

#11 Post by James C »

My frugal install of 003 is also not keeping the internet connection upon a reboot.I've tried all of the different wizards with no change.Every reboot or restart the connection(wired DSL) is gone.
Otherwise, no real complaints. :)

Béèm

white background in icons

#12 Post by Béèm »

Now the adventure of black background in icons is over, another one starts.
While for the black background every icon was effected, strangely enough it's not the case for the white background.
Also at first sight the icons in the system tray are ok.

Is that fix for the black one included in lucid 003?
Should it be applied anyway?
Attachments
icon-background-white.png
(158.76 KiB) Downloaded 1650 times
Last edited by Béèm on Thu 01 Apr 2010, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

back from bike ride
fault with radeonhd.pet - not installing
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

01micko

#14 Post by 01micko »

Béèm

aarf reported completely washed out icons! I am experiencing different behaviour alltogether.. my icons seem to have a feint white halo around them, about 1px wide, just enough to notice. So there is definitely something wrong with that libpixman and at least JWM. What are your icons like in that wine program you mentioned in a related thread?

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Béèm

#15 Post by Béèm »

In that wine program, I had the issue when in 16-bit.
Being in 24-bit the icons in that application are as it should be: transparent.
I didn't try being in 16-bit.
I didn't try Winefile neither then, but now in 24-bit no problems.

I still wonder how JWM (if this was the cause) could influence the icons in wine.

If needed I can try the 16-bit mode and see again.
Time savers:

Jim1911

#16 Post by Jim1911 »

Lupu-003 frugal installation on an ext4 partition, upon reboot the lupusave.2fs was properly created. It is fast, stable, and all applications tested appear to work fine. Only problem is the Nvidia driver which was solved by editing the xorg.conf file to show the "nv" driver.

Consider, updating Seamonkey to the latest version, although I do prefer Firefox which is always the first addition that I install followed by pwidgets.

Great news that this pup has been selected as the next puppy 5 and also that ext2/ext3/ext4 save files are to be officially supported.

Cheers,
Jim :D

playdayz

#17 Post by playdayz »

Seamonkey 2.0.x coming soon. Puppy has been Seamonkey for a long time and SM2 is reasonably fast. We will have one-click pets in the Puppy Package Manager for all of the other new browsers.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#18 Post by Lobster »

Nicoedit crashed on me - text editor crashing?
I tried to save a file and it seized up . . .

No Geany? :cry:

these two sfs seem to be working in Lucid
Do we have somewhere we can store all working Lucid sfs?

open office 184MB
http://tmxxine.com/lucid/openoffice-3.1.1-sfs432.sfs

xara
http://tmxxine.com/lucid/Xaralx+Imagema ... 2-sfs4.sfs
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

stu90

#19 Post by stu90 »

frugal install:

black background to icons fixed in 24bit.

poor dell inspiron touchpad mouse range still.

don't know what this means but tmp/.xerrs if flooding;
/sbin/pup_event_frontend_d: line 780: diff: not found

Good to hear seamonkey2 is coming keep up good work.

thanks.

James C

connection not persistent

#20 Post by James C »

I ended up using Dougal's network wizard and the connection is now being saved between boots. :)