Introducing PULP - 125 MB Puplet for older hardware

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Colonel Panic

#101 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for replying Dennis and sully. All seems to be sorted now anyway (I've spoken to someone at the community centre who supports using Puppy there and who confirms this).

The funny thing is that my last message on this thread was submitted from home, after I'd tried to post it from the local public library which runs Windows XP and Internet Explorer - and found I couldn't do it! It kept giving me a "postal mode not specified" message, and in the end I gave up.

And this is a computer system and Microsoft installation which costs tens of thousands to install and support countywide, and has every conceivable security measure built in - you can't even right-click with the mouse when using it.

Just goes to show.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#102 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; I've just tested PULP 0.1 on my own machine and it works fine and hasn't trashed my MBR at all, so I think we can say Puppy's in the clear. :)

Just one thing though; I changed the window manager, jwm, for blackbox as I think it looks better with a plain (i.e. no wallpaper) desktop. Fluxbox (which I've just downloaded from this thread) would be good too;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1589558908
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

taca0

#103 Post by taca0 »

• I like PULP 0.03 but I want to make it more small or like a lite version .

I mean less programs. Remove games, cd or dvd programs, printer, firefox .

I dont how to do that. I have a small CF card 256mb and 28mb ram so I need less programs and only the light programs that it has.

I use the frugal method.

Any recommendations!

Thanks Zenfunk for good idea.

tommy

#104 Post by tommy »

I'm posting here just to report success with Pulp003 running in a crappy Pcchips (aristo) mainboard featuring Intel Vx chipset, Amd K6-166Mhz, a 256Kb Realtek Rtg3105 isa video card and 24MB edo Ram. I'm posting this with this dinosaur at the moment. No Cdrom , no Hard disk, just a floppy with wakepup, a usb pendrive and a wireless Zydas dongle. Posting this with Elinks. Great job! I really like this small distro with text web browser AND wireless support. No other distro was capable of this, I tried many but they were always lacking something necessary. Now it is time to find a way to add a Vnc .pet via console...
Bye!

greengeek

Which pulp is newest

#105 Post by greengeek »

Hi Zenfunk,

thanks for Pulp. I'm having a lot of fun with it on a Toshiba 2180cdt (which isn't keen to run too many linux distros).

I am confused about which Pulp is newest: is 0.03 the newest, or 0.1 please?

(I find 0.02 works very well for me, and 0.03 looks slightly easier on the eye, but never starts the browser for some reason, so I cant surf the internet. I have tried to download 0.1 but without success yet)

many thanks for your fine work.

Liam Murphy

#106 Post by Liam Murphy »

DMcCunney wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
DMcCunney wrote: This sounds like an incomplete installation of some sort. I can't see how running Puppy from a live CD should do this.

Did this persist after a power cycle?
Thanks for answering, Dennis;

Yes it did. There was no installation; I took the CD out of the drive and tried to boot from the hard drive as usual, with this result.

I can't see why it might have happened either, but it did. According to our expert, a couple of pointers went missing from the Windows XP boot loader (NTLDR) and one of them linked to the hard drive. It's worrying me somewhat because I've always used Puppy on public computers on the understanding that it's completely "safe" to run it from a CD-ROM and a savefile on the hard drive, as I did in this case.
Weird. If something trashed the Master Boot Record, I can see something like this occurring. That's not hard to fix, but is a bit tedious.

I'd be very startled if a standard Puppy CD did that. I can't say for sure about a custom Puplet. It might have been coincidence, or it might have been an improperly housebroken Puppy, making a mess where it wasn't supposed to. Give a copy of the CD to the tech at the community center, and ask him to look at it. You want a second opinion to rule out Puppy being at fault.
_______
Dennis
Hi I am new to the forum and to Puppy.

I bought this computer recently because I am a wannabe writer (never published) who needs a machine exclusively for word processing, so I didn't care that the laptop was old. I was appalled, however, at how slow XP Professional was running on it, I formated the HD and I installed Puppy 5.1 on it to speed it up. It worked great and I am very happy with how fast it is :D .

However, when I went to reboot for the first time "NTLDR is missing" error came up so everytime I boot I have to insert the Puppy CD twice, once to get the error, second to boot the system.

I was very happy to see this post and that there was a fix, but I am sorry that it is tedious :cry: .

Dennis, could you share the fix with me?

Liam

Gateway 9550 Laptop: Pentuim III - 1066MHz with 254MB RAM, 20 GB hard drive

cthisbear

#107 Post by cthisbear »

" I formated the HD "

Should have used DBan.
No way that should show after format.
Or do you have 2 partitions??

Chris.

Liam Murphy

#108 Post by Liam Murphy »

I just have the 1 partition. I don't have a problem with reformatting the drive again, so what is DBan and how do I use it?

Thanks for replying!

Liam

cthisbear

#109 Post by cthisbear »

http://www.dban.org/

5 Minutes would do for your purposes.
Under no circumstances boot this with another drive
which has important data..

Chris.

Liam Murphy

#110 Post by Liam Murphy »

Thanks for your advise Chris, after many adventures I was able to get rid of the error message and got Puppy installed again.

Liam

cthisbear

#111 Post by cthisbear »

Liam:

Good result - thanks 4 posting back.

Chris.

harii4

#112 Post by harii4 »

pulp 0.1 file for rapidshare is no longer there?
good found a link that worked.

i really like the speed of pulp but i would like to go back to rox as the file manager.
Need to edit pmount and is there any other apps. need to mod for that?

daxo

download links dead/broken

#113 Post by daxo »

EDIT found pulp download at http://flusslinie.wordpress.com/category/pulp/

rapidshare dl not working

thanks!

zenfunk

#114 Post by zenfunk »

i really like the speed of pulp but i would like to go back to rox as the file manager.
Need to edit pmount and is there any other apps. need to mod for that?
Hm, don't think anything else, apart from pmount, calls the file manager. You can open pmount in a text editor and do a search for emelfm and replace it by rox- this schould work. If all fails just copy pmount from another puppy iso.

I'm glad that so me of you like my little project. I found that puppylinux.asia is no more- so sad...

harii4

#115 Post by harii4 »

any plans for an new pulp?
seamonkey and rox gtk1.2 ?

if you do:
have rox there for the non-emelfm users.
some of the gtk1.2 themes look better than most gtk2.0 ones.
great work!!!!

Dave_B

Pulp works great on my 1999 laptop

#116 Post by Dave_B »

PIII 512M 750MHz
10G HD
I'm using it right now. Minimalist and FAST.

Thank you

Dave

zenfunk

#117 Post by zenfunk »

harii4 wrote:any plans for an new pulp?
seamonkey and rox gtk1.2 ?
Nope, so far pulp does what I want it to do.
It's all free software- so feel free to roll your own. Personally I'd love to see what people can do with GTK 1.2 apps. So far all filemanagers for GTK 1.2 are not ideal (IMHO).
Emelfm is a bit awkward to use for someone who is used to GNOMEs Nautilus, and to be frank I never liked rox very much.
Something more standard - like pcmanfm or nautilus would be great, but they are all gtk 2.0 or gnomish or heavyweight.
if you do:
have rox there for the non-emelfm users.
Rox is still there. Just start it via terminal.
some of the gtk1.2 themes look better than most gtk2.0 ones.
great work!!!!
Unfortunately the better looking themes are slow as well- it seem as if you can't have yur cake and eat it.

greengeek

Browser wont start

#118 Post by greengeek »

Hi Zenfunk, on my old laptop (Tosh 2180cdt) pulp 002 works well, but I have a problem with pulp003. The browser will not start.

Have you heard anything similar from others?

I've tried lots of live distros but am very much a beginner and don't really know where to start troubleshooting for this problem.

Pulp003 looks nicer so I'm keen to get it going if I can. cheers.

zenfunk

#119 Post by zenfunk »

Strange problem.
Could you tell me what happens when you type firefox in the shell?

Christian

zenfunk

#120 Post by zenfunk »

Strange problem.
Could you tell me what happens when you type firefox in the shell?

Christian