Index of resources for Beginners Help forum

Booting, installing, newbie
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Index of resources for Beginners Help forum

#1 Post by Flash »

This is an experiment. It is intended to make using the forum -- and Puppy -- more practical. Other moderators are invited to jump in where they see I've missed something. If anyone else sees something they think belongs here, please PM me (with a link to the item. :) )

First: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Puppy Intro: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Booting (running) from CD: Installing on and booting from HD: Installing on and booting from USB: Multisession Puppy Unusual ways to run Puppy Upgrading (transferring bookmarks, address books, settings etc.): --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building your own custom Puppy (Puppy a la carte): Configuring your Puppy Installing Additional Software and Applications: Specialized Puppies --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backup and Restore Email Hardware issues: Mounting and unmounting: Multimedia Networking Programming Remote Computing Screensavers Server Puppy Sound Tips and tricks Video Wireless
Last edited by Flash on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 23:04, edited 224 times in total.

mr_shafer

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Beginners Hel

#2 Post by mr_shafer »

Clicking the title "Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index" at the top of this page is the HOME button !

Clicking sub-titles (after each ->) is the GOTO button.

( No thats not a dumb question, sometimes the obvious, is not obvious.) :wink:

raffy

John can do

#3 Post by raffy »

It's something John M can do, changing that phrase to [Home], so it will be seen as "[Home] Forum Index".

GeoffS

Thanks - but why so hard to find?

#4 Post by GeoffS »

Just a small query - why did it take me so long to find this thread?
Maybe a moderator(s) could add some BIG pointers to it. I've been playing with puppy for about 2 weeks (and love it), spent hours searching this forum and have not found this resource until now.
While I'm thinking of 'searching' maybe somebody could make representations to the makers of this system - the search facility is terrible - would have to be the worst I've ever encountered. I might post this comment somewhere more obvious.
Cheers

raffy

Hello

#5 Post by raffy »

Hi, and welcome aboard! This forum software is free but is kept uptodate. Perhaps it's just your first time to use it :) Would love to see your suggestions in the "Suggestions" section.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

What else can I do? The forum software limits me to making the index into a sticky post, and I can't change human nature, which seems not to want to begin at the beginning. :?

Raffy, I'm afraid I haven't kept the index up to date, but now that John has put a stop to spam things might settle back down and I can get back to it. I've invited other moderators to contribute to it but as far as I know none have.

GeoffS

#7 Post by GeoffS »

Thanks for the replies Raffy & Flash. Maybe that was part of the problem, I never really found the 'beginning'. I'm not complaining, the site is an enormous resource and obviously has cost some people (and probably not enough people) a lot of time but I have floundered around in it more than I should have. Maybe I'm getting old and it is certainly not helped by my lack of Linux (or Unix) knowledge.
My aim is to eventually move entirely to Linux - I also have Knoppix and Debian but Puppy seems a great and gentle starting point. I have many packages (including some I've written) that I hope will run under Wine and/or can be ported to Linux - if I live long enough!
Thanks again for the replies.

oui

use the Wiki please

#8 Post by oui »

erased 20110303 as with really to old content. please be comprehensive

I propose you my more actual page for newbies but mainly on French:

oui

Last edited by oui on Thu 03 Mar 2011, 23:36, edited 2 times in total.

kozaki

#9 Post by kozaki »

Hi all Puppians :)

I found that "HardDiskInstall (PuppyLinux Wiki page.) Good partitioning instructions." links to a dead page.
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/ says :
> URL changed!
>
> Please relink to:
>
> http://www.puppyos.com/

Otherwise I appreciated 5 other (worink) links from "Installing on and booting from HD"

Flash, I really think of your sticky post as a masterpiece about Puppy :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Well thanks kozaki. I'm afraid I haven't maintained the index very well. It's nice to know that someone still finds it useful.

When you give a good URL for one that is dead, to eliminate confusion, give the full URL to the page and not just the URL to the homepage of the website. :)

Getnikar

Is info up to date, or at least names the relevant release?

#11 Post by Getnikar »

Flash wrote:Well thanks kozaki. I'm afraid I haven't maintained the index very well. It's nice to know that someone still finds it useful...
Hi Flash.
I have just spent many solid days around all the Puppy websites and forums, hunting all sorts of info. Unfortunately a huge amount of time has been wasted reading all sorts of outdated info. Its really annoying, and in these travels I have seen a couple of other complaints that echo this sentiment too.

So this is just a general observation, and appeal to everyone who puts info up anywhere: PLEASE write a clear concise subject title or short intro at the start to make is clear what release you are talking about.

The problem is right through the open source world. Its a major pain to a lot of people who might contemplate leaving the Windows world, but find the rubbish in wiki, and forum sticky etc material frustrates them and sends them right back to Windows.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

The problem is not limited to Linux, or Puppy. Hardly a webpage on the internet has a date anywhere in it. At least the forum posts are dated.

Getnikar

#13 Post by Getnikar »

Flash wrote:The problem is not limited to Linux, or Puppy.
Agreed, but it is more a 'feature' of open source projects than commercial ones unfortunately.
Flash wrote:Hardly a webpage on the internet has a date anywhere in it. At least the forum posts are dated.
Generally the websites for commercial/proprietry software are better organised with old stuff more clearly separated from current stuff. Dates are of little use in many cases for a noob. She might read up on a concept dated say 6 months ago. She might realise that was before the current version came out. But does that mean the concept is out of date? .. a bit, a lot, completely? I have found myself in this situation many times lately, so I know how wasteful in time it is sorting it all out. Right now Puppy is in this situation, because there is a lot of Puppy 1 stuff around that is irrelevant to Puppy 2, but its not immediately apparent in the articles.

The Puppy websites need a BIG cleanout, and tidy up. IMO.

veronicathecow

The useful page I have been looking for.

#14 Post by veronicathecow »

I only wish I had come across this post ages ago, it is so useful.
Many thanks
Tony

jamesjeffries1

#15 Post by jamesjeffries1 »

for more beginners linux help goto http://linuxmigration.tk

keilor

#16 Post by keilor »

I've noticed that a lot of the links in the first post are broken - pointing to the old www.murga.org site.

Any chance of getting them updated?

Pizzasgood

#17 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, I just did a find-replace on the domain names, so they should work now.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

edoc

#18 Post by edoc »

Pizzasgood wrote:Okay, I just did a find-replace on the domain names, so they should work now.
It is a great idea that had to take a ton of time! Sure appreciate the effort.

Just a heads-up ...
The frugal install link goes to a hopelessly out-dated Wiki page.

We are preparing to move and I cannot find my notes and wanted to be certain
that I followed the latest and greatest steps for backup and a frugal install of 2.16.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

willhunt

#19 Post by willhunt »

I found these links to be very helpful and here are some I thought worthy of
consideration
bash tutorial from Daniel Robbins), President and CEO, Gentoo Technologies, Inc
and
this Fine DOS cheat sheet for us older dogs :P
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/unix_f ... users.html
[url=http://hostfile.org/icepak.pet]176 Icewm Themes :!:[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/39fl3x]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/2q7cbp]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]

AMF

Thanks for the list!

#20 Post by AMF »

This should be the first post people read after the welcome message. A very nice collection of useful links.