Quirky 013 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
alec78

i810

#41 Post by alec78 »

Hi BarryK,
Followed your destructions re Intel i810 driver, and it worked. Posting this via xorg i810 graphics.
Cheers

ICPUG

#42 Post by ICPUG »

Ok. I've test Quirky013 on both my machines (for graphics only).

On my desktop with ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X it worked fine although the desktop background was black. The colour may be a fault of my monitor.

On my Medion Laptop with i810 graphics chip set it just got black screen when trying xorg. Interestingly when you click the off button of the PC it barked! Anyway restarted and followed Barry's instructions about using VESA.

Point for Beem. If nothing else this VESA option must exist to enable us to change the xorg driver!

The bit about copying 'i810_drv.so' was fine. However, the instructions from here were a bit wrong. There is no intel_drv.so to delete - probably cos it never started in xorg before.

Then it says there is another file in here:
/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-alternate/i810

No there isn't. All that is in there is a directory (usr). I followed the path down to:
/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-alternate/i810/usr/X11R7/lib/

There were TWO files here (one a symbolic link) and I copied both of them as requested.

Went to the prompt and ran xwizard no problem. Restarted by typing xwin and everything worked.

It amazes me that alec78 reported the instructions worked when clearly there were some errors in the instructions! Accuracy in reports is helpful.

JustGreg

#43 Post by JustGreg »

I tried Quirky 013 on my Acer Aspire Revo using the live CDROM. It booted and started without a problem. It did not detect the Nvidia Graphics device, but did properly detect the Nvidia HDA audio device. The Nvidia Graphics device needs the Nvidia driver pet.

I also connected to my wireless WPA2 network. It did connect, but I did noticed it took longer (5.5 seconds versus 2.0 seconds) for the WPA supplicant to connect.

I tried out PupRadio and Mplayer with some online radio stations. I found station CFGP in the PupRadio would not play. In trying Mplayer with some stations that I like, I found Mplayer does not have the Codecs for MMS protocol and M3U (Mpeg3 stream). Hopefully, the extra Codecs pet for Mplayer will work with Quiry.

In general, Quirky seem to work well. It needs the usual tweaks for user preferences. It does have all the basics for me.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: i810

#44 Post by BarryK »

alec78 wrote:Hi BarryK,
Followed your destructions re Intel i810 driver, and it worked. Posting this via xorg i810 graphics.
Cheers
That's good news, I'll modify the Xorg Wizard so i810 can be chosen immediately instead of the probing.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

James C

#45 Post by James C »

Running Quirky 013 live on a box with S3 graphics-prosavage. Xorg is using the "savage" driver and working correctly.
installed the pet and took care of the black backgrounds.... :)

aarf

#46 Post by aarf »

rollback has returned past bugs.
quirky013 unpacked to SDcard gives kernal panic not syncing.(previously fixed)
quirky013 unpack to external HD boots

pgprs-connect in 010 is fine. pgprs-connect in 013 is a repeat of past failure. requires pgrps-connect in terminal to connect.

black backgrounds in menu at x24.
probably just the tip of the iceberg.
thumbs down, jump off the distrowatch treadmill and go to 010

BarryK
Puppy Master

#47 Post by BarryK »

I have fixed the 'report-video' script. Gunzip it, make sure it is set as executable and place at /usr/sbin.

Note that I only want this report for video that does not work, or not properly, and it would be good if you could comment what is wrong as well. This will help me to build up a database of what video hardware is causing trouble.
Attachments
report-video.gz
(531 Bytes) Downloaded 817 times

rjbrewer

#48 Post by rjbrewer »

Has the Quirky 013 with i810 choose button been uploaded?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

playdayz

#49 Post by playdayz »

This seems strange, but maybe it is a good clue. In the latest Lucid, radeon_drv and radeonhd_drv are both available. Xorgwizard chooses radeon--this works but it is not the best choice. Now, here's the weird part, even though radeonhd_drv is already there in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers, I have a pet with nothing in it but the radeonhd_drv and if I install that pet and then exit to prompt and run xorgwizard again, then this time it chooses radeonhd!

Why would just installing the radeonhd pet cause xorgwizard to change its choice from radeon to radeonhd? That's the question.

The reason I say that radeonhd is a better choice is that radeon doesn't work properly at 16 bits, where radeonhd does. Radeon displays a screen with no color but very deep green.

This is with the new report-video script as well as before.

Please excuse me while I go test Quirky 013.

OK, in Quirky 013, if I do the same thing, and make the pet out of the radeonhd_drv that Quirky contains, then what I get when I rerun xorgwizard is a black screen.

All in all, leaving both radeonhd and nouveau out, as in 4.3.1 might be the best approach for Lucid--adn then make them available as pets. Anyway, that clue is so strange to me that I figured it might mean something to you.

I think I could use a new Woof whenever you get a chance. The one I am using is from March 24.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#50 Post by BarryK »

rjbrewer wrote:Has the Quirky 013 with i810 choose button been uploaded?
No, that will be the next Quirky, number 014 or 015. My experimental in-house build is at 014, so probably the next release will be 015. Coming soon.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#51 Post by BarryK »

Playdayz,
Quirky 013 is an "aberration", built with Xorg 7.3. The next Quirky release will be 015 and will be back on Xorg 7.5, so test radeon and radeonhd on that -- they are later versions of the drivers.

I'll upload Woof soon. I was separating out the Tpup build with Xorg 7.5 and 7.3. You will be able to choose either. The build with Xorg 7.3 will have the codename "Wary".

ttuuxxx

#52 Post by ttuuxxx »

BarryK wrote:Playdayz,
Quirky 013 is an "aberration", built with Xorg 7.3. The next Quirky release will be 015 and will be back on Xorg 7.5, so test radeon and radeonhd on that -- they are later versions of the drivers.

I'll upload Woof soon. I was separating out the Tpup build with Xorg 7.5 and 7.3. You will be able to choose either. The build with Xorg 7.3 will have the codename "Wary".
excellent Barry I'll build a Tpup in a couple of days with 7.5, once you post the updates :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

rjbrewer

#53 Post by rjbrewer »

BarryK wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:Has the Quirky 013 with i810 choose button been uploaded?
No, that will be the next Quirky, number 014 or 015. My experimental in-house build is at 014, so probably the next release will be 015. Coming soon.
Mostly Just curious;

Tried 013 on a Dimension 3000; intel 82865g, today.
Black screen on 1st try, but it worked with Vesa on second.
"Aberration" or not; this has quickly become my favorite"puppy".

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Roy

#54 Post by Roy »

Dell Inspiron 910 (Mini-9) netbook, Live CD, puppy pfix=ram

Video lasts (intermittent flickers) about 10 minutes before going to black screen.

VIDEO REPORT: Quirky, version 013

Chip description:
Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: 1024x600 Depth: 24

-Roy

nooby

#55 Post by nooby »

nooby writes:
# report-video
cat: /etc/videomode: No such file or directory
VIDEO REPORT

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller
Intel Corporation 82915G Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

When I first tried xorg the Aopen 915 computer did a complete instant shutdown and was impossible to get going without using a rescue DVD or rescue USB to make a proper shut down which allowed it to be booted again so I chose vesa instead and are using Q013 now.

My resolution is the most common one. not sure how to remember 1024x748 or something. I never though of recording it. Depth 16.

Looking forward to test Q015 too. Keep up the good work. Much appreciated. Puppy made a Linux user out of me.

Edit

yes I will try it on the more modern hp/Compaq too. That one have NVidia and get black screen with almost every Q I have tried.

Edit I am now testing q013 on the HP/Compaq SR5622SC

It has a Athlon X2 (B) 4450e 2.3 GHz (45W)
chipset GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Video Graphics
GeForce 9300 GE (256 MB)

* 256 MB GDDR2 memory
* I/O Ports: HDMI and DVI (and VGA using included DVI-to-VGA adapter)
# report-video
cat: /etc/videomode: No such file or directory
VIDEO REPORT

Chip description:

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:

It never managed to do the Xorg test. Black screen nothing did happen. The only way to get out of the test was to do a hard reboot which it survived and I chose Vesa instead. and used same 1024x768 16 depth

and are writing from it now. Works as expected. No choppy or jerky videos which dpup and upup always had.

Looking forward to have the NV video driver in next Q015 already there.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#56 Post by nooby »

Firefox crashed when I wanted to listen to a radio program on sr.se our version of public service radio.

First time this has ever happen to me. I test each puppy on this radio and out of some 25 puppies this was first time it crashed.

It shut down the FF 3.6.3 each I try to listen to it.

I tested lupu-004 on sr.se and that one survived so maybe something are different. Aah the browser is a pet and not an update.

In quirky 013 it is SeaMonkey and I use the 3.6 pet and then update to 3.6.3 but on lupu 004 then there is a Firefox 3.6.3 pet and one don't do an update.

What else are different that could explain why firefox shut off, bail out? closes down when none of the other 25 puppies does that with exact same 3.6 pet?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Bronco Billy

Hi Nooby....

#57 Post by Bronco Billy »

Are You For Real...... Or Are You Part of the "Aberration" of Quirky 013..... In Any Event Have a Great Day..... :)

maddox

#58 Post by maddox »

Testing Quirky 013 : live-cd pfix=ram and xorg
LCD screen resolution/color depths available : 1400x1050x16 1400x1050x24
Both color depths now have the same backplane brightness at boot (ATIx600).

On a side-note, the last set/used lcd backplane brightness level seem to be stored in cmos (internal battery backup).
ie :If I shutdown Quirky-013 with a lower backplane brightness level and no save-file,
the lower brightness level is retained at next boot of laptop (battery and/or power suppy attached).

But if I remove the power-supply and battery for 30 min to 1 hour,
the next boot uses the default BIOS values : about half way backplane brightness value : 50-60%.
I can confirm this, as the date is reset to BIOS default value : year 2004

Tui

#59 Post by Tui »

I have just d/loaded this latest version, and tested on a couple
of machines.

First machine a Dell GX100 and have noticed that this version
won't detect my wifi card. Previous versions of Puppy, such as
up to v4.2, kernel 2.6.25.16 see this card as ACX_PCI Texas Instruments,
111 54mbs Wireless Interface, but none of the QUIRKY series
find this card !!

So what script do I need to change to get it working? From
memory I don't think any of Puppy v4.3.1 series work.

Thank you so what do I need to change here to get it working
with this version ?

Cheers Tui
Last edited by Tui on Mon 05 Apr 2010, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

Tui

#60 Post by Tui »

Here again I have tried Quirky in a Dell Dimension 2400, but
with this one, the wifi card I have fitted has detected ok!

My problem to get to this check, was first to get the graphics
working !!

Using the modified graphics wiz i.e. probe to find it
I guess that it went into the xorg as it use too.

Select the usual res 1024x768 16b hit the enter key, bingo
the screen crashed out to a black screen, no way out I had
to hit the machine restart button and start all over again.

This time I returned to wiz and tried the vesa and tried
for highest res. So problems with the graphics in this machine!

This is how I got to the wifi test!

I have to wait on Mr. K's, next up date!

Cheers Tui