Observations of a Puppy newbie

Booting, installing, newbie
Bevan

Observations of a Puppy newbie

#1 Post by Bevan »

Let me see! I received my new puppy on Tues from Barry..thanks for the CD.

What a beaut distro! Mind you, I like Slax. But for a distro that's around 60meg, it's the best of the lot. The apps in DSL is very basic, and I got tired of it very quickly. Since Tue, in the few hours in exploring Puppy, I've learnt a few things: (oh, I have a 200mx pent with 64meg of ram)

1. It's very good with the 200mx. It didn't crash for me, though my six year old daughter did that for me.
2. One click with the mouse button is enough. I get two dialog boxes when I double click. Still a windows user.
3. Sound doesn't work. :idea: (musta be a very old sound card. It works under win 98se. :?: Even with the other distros, the sound doesn't work as well.)
4. Printer doesn't work. (a very quick config. musta messed up somewhere. The printer is on the list)
5. On the more newer pent 4 computers, sound is great. Haven't checked out if the the printers do print due to time restraints. (Will there be a more up to date listing of printers?)
6. On one occasion, I forgot to check the mouse type, and the cursor just hang there on the desktop.

Other than that, this is a great distro. I'll be looking in the forums in case I've come up with a glitch.

I'm not a great fan in using the command line, but hey, if it has to be, then it has to be.

Dougal

Re: Observations of a Puppy newbie

#2 Post by Dougal »

Bevan wrote:3. Sound doesn't work. :idea: (musta be a very old sound card. It works under win 98se. :?: Even with the other distros, the sound doesn't work as well.)
Try typing "modprobe sb" in the terminal.
If that does the trick you can go to the rc.local0 file (in /etc) and add that line at the end.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Could you tell us which version of Puppy you're using please? Thanks. :)

Bevan

#4 Post by Bevan »

I just received 1.0.8r1. Thanks Barry for that. Booted it up. It recognised the sound card, and guess what...I have sound. :lol: It even played those silly looney tunes wav files from a floppy. The next trick is to print successfully. I just purchased a hp all in one printer, scanner and copier. Stay tuned. I'm not too sure if I have to mount the floppy, before I can save any work in abiword! :?: The good thing about Linux is the learning curve.

slvrldy17

HP all in one...

#5 Post by slvrldy17 »

Bevan,
What model of HP all in one did you get? I've got a PSC1610 that I haven't as yet tried to set up or use with Puppy and I would be very interested to hear your experience with yours.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

If we buy hardware and it comes without Linux drivers - take it back

What are we 2cnd class consumers? Penguins make more noise . . .

just a thought :roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Bevan

What kind of printer

#7 Post by Bevan »

HP PSC 1510 All-in-One. According to the specs, ther language is HP PCL Level 3, PCL3 Gui or PCL 10. We bought the 3 in 1 due to desktop restraints. As I'm using a usb hub, the printer connection is located on Dot4. I haven't tried to configure the printer. However, I have tried to configue with a HP 1000 laserjet on another computer without success.

Ted Dog

As I'm using a usb hub,

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

As I'm using a usb hub,
There has been issues with usb hubs, try it direct connect for a test.

Bevan

#9 Post by Bevan »

Tah! :)

kkpixkk

#10 Post by kkpixkk »

I just love Puppy. I am not of the computer generation so learning another OS is a challenge for me. I am using Win98 SE on a P3 600, 256megs, 8meg ATI video, cable modem internet. The Puppy 1.0.7 live cd recognizes all my hardware. I was able to easily configure my printer and with the usr_cram.fs as well as the pup001 files on my "C" drive, Puppy boots up very quickly from the live cd + runs almost as fast as my Win98 SE. I was able to install "The Gimp" from the automatic installer without a problem. Is there some other large repository of Linux free software, compatible with Puppy, from which I can acquire + experiment with some other programs? Thanks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

There's the Additional Software forum. Here's the first try at an index of the dotpups and other software it contains, and here's a newer version.

kkpixkk

#12 Post by kkpixkk »

Thanks Flash. That list is great. Also, is there any reason for me to use Puppy 1.0.8 if 1.0.7 is running perfectly or ought I wait for a major new version of Puppy? If I run the Puppy 1.0.8 live cd, shall I delete the current pup001 + usr_cram.fs files (which means re-configuring my printer etc.) from my "C" drive or will 1.0.8 continue to update the current pup001 file? Thanks.

MU

#13 Post by MU »

Beside the forum:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/dpup
http://dotpups.de/
http://grafpup.com/packages/

We are working on some Repositories that mirror each other using some standards, so that you can get a better overview.

---
If 107 works ok, don't upgrade to 108.
108 mainly had some changes for people who had problems with 107, for example another soundsystem is used (Alsa instead of OSS).

108 is not "better" but "different".
Some things in 108 might even not work on your specific computer, that worked with 107.

On the other hand it is not difficult to try, simply backup your pup001 first,try 108, then restore it for 107, if 107 is better for you.

Mark