A suggestion for making it eaisier to put on hard drive....

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Byebillbye

A suggestion for making it eaisier to put on hard drive....

#1 Post by Byebillbye »

There are lots of folks,myself included :D who do not use floppy drives anymore.You could make the boot disk a bootable CD instead,or at least make it a file we could burn ourselves.Id love to install it,but cant without a floppy..........unless there are other suggestions? :D
"In life there are many paths,one is lined with broken glass,one has a friendly penguin to guide you....whats your choice?"

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

I don't use a boot diskette ........????

Live CD will boot directly from the CD image. The diskette is to compensate for BIOS deficiencies in older machines ( i.e. machines that can't boot from CD )

Most modern computers have a boot menu built into the bios. On switch on there will be a message saying something like 'Press F11 for boot menu'

Boot diskettes aren't needed as standard, they are a fix for computers that can't boot the live CD.

PeterSieg

Since 1.0.2, we have hdd install++

#3 Post by PeterSieg »

...that doesn't insist on creating a boot floppy, but also gives the
possibility to install grub boot manager...
No need for floppy drive anymore :)

PS
Have fun :)

Auda

#4 Post by Auda »

SBM is a boot manager that will boot from a cd even if the bios wont I use it the web site is here http://btmgr.webframe.org/index.php3?body=download.html I did find a later version some were, I'll attach it later when I find it again
Auda

wscarl

HD install "text" Script need's rewrite

#5 Post by wscarl »

HD install "text" Script need's rewrite :? reads like a GW Bush speech :roll:

#6 Post by Guest »

Have you tried to use the GRUB configuration? The option may be in the Grub is a bootloader that you can use if you have a hard disk install. I personally haven't used this, as I removed the boot floppy section from Barry's install script and installed the LiLo bootloader myself (I don't have a floppy drive, either).

I suggest you try the Grub configuration. If you don't have success, post back here, and I'm sure someone could explain it for you. Otherwise, I'll send you the script I used.

Cheers,

thoughtjourney
-------------------
yes, i forgot to log in again