Best way to merge multiple usr_cram.fs files into one.

Using applications, configuring, problems
sunburnt

Best way to merge multiple usr_cram.fs files into one.

#1 Post by sunburnt »

The remaster script adds apps. that were installed into the /root/.usr dir. to a new CD iso file.
What's the best way to merge many usr_cram.fs files into one?
Just mount them, copy their contense to a temp. dir. & use mksquashfs to make a new usr_cram.fs file out of them?
It's probably is just that simple, but I thought I'd ask before screwing it all up.

I want to start with ChubbyPuppy's usr_cram.fs file because it's the largest & complex, then add GraphPup & a few others.
Also include the usr_devx.sfs file in the new usr_cram.fs file, & a good selection of programming languages & tools.
Seems easier than installing the apps. & the remaster script makes a new usr_cram.fs file, but this way definately works.

bombayrockers

#2 Post by bombayrockers »

I suggest you build your system upon grafpup, because gimp from grafpup uses a different version of glibc (if I remember correctly). Also there is a usr_more.sfs for openoffice in grafpup. To include usr_devx.sfs in usr_cram.fs you would need to extract it to /root/.usr before you run the remaster script.

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

Thanks bombayrockers; I assume that the usr_devx.sfs instructions would apply to the usr_more.sfs & KDE files also.
The added .sfs files may as well be part of the main usr_cram.fs file, leaving more loop devices free for more .sfs files.

Does the usr_devx.sfs file have any programming languages in it? A good WYSIWYG web coder is needed also.

Installing individual apps., would pupget be better than dotpups for the remaster util., Puppy setup is a poormans.
Obviously the usr_cram.fs file will not load into the memory space that most PCs have, slowing app. load like other OSs.
I figure the new file will be at least 300MB+ with all I want in it, but PCs with 512MB or 1GB are common these days.
The new file is intended for LanPuppy which will Samba mount it, it may or may not be loaded into memory.

Q; Can just 1 usr_cram.fs file be mounted by many PCs, the Samba mount is no problem, but what about the squash file?