Is Puppy your favorite distro?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
davesurrey

#61 Post by davesurrey »

RetroTechGuy wrote
I really want to modify it so that by default it performs "fsck" on the pupsave, on boot...
If you add

Code: Select all

pfix=fsck
to your grub stanza (menu.lst) then this should do a fsck at each reboot.

If you have several distros (sorry I've not read all this thread) then it'll slow down booting considerably as it will do fsck for all the partitions.

To avoid this I think if you add

pdev1=sda3
for example if the puppy you want to check is on sda3 then it'll only check that.

But make sure the pdev1=sda3 is before pfix=fsck on the line.

Tell us if it works for you.
HTH
Dave

RetroTechGuy

#62 Post by RetroTechGuy »

davesurrey wrote:RetroTechGuy wrote
I really want to modify it so that by default it performs "fsck" on the pupsave, on boot...
If you add

pfix=fsck
to your grub stanza (menu.lst) then this should do a fsck at each reboot.
I already have that in my frugal install. However, I have tried to re-master a Puppy CD, changing fsck to be a default, and it seems to ignore me (I think that fsck should be default, on the live boot disk).

So in the isolinux.cfg on my remastered CD, I added:

kernel vmlinuz pfix=fsck
Is this the correct location for this mod, or must I dig into the initrd to change this?
If you have several distros (sorry I've not read all this thread) then it'll slow down booting considerably as it will do fsck for all the partitions.

To avoid this I think if you add

pdev1=sda3
for example if the puppy you want to check is on sda3 then it'll only check that.

But make sure the pdev1=sda3 is before pfix=fsck on the line.

Tell us if it works for you.
HTH
Dave
Hmmm... Have to think about this latter. I want a bootable CD that by default checks the selected and loaded pupsave (to take the filesystem corruption issue away, if a newbie doesn't periodically run the commandline "puppy pfix=fsck")

Pizzasgood

#63 Post by Pizzasgood »

Unlike grub, for isolinux you add it to the append line, not the kernel line.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

RetroTechGuy

#64 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Pizzasgood wrote:Unlike grub, for isolinux you add it to the append line, not the kernel line.
Ahhhh.... Let me try that. I'll do a fresh re-master and see if I can get it to go.

Update: Tested, and it does work! Thanks a bunch, Pizza!

toowoombalinux

#65 Post by toowoombalinux »

G'day,
yes it is my favourite distro!
I do have Ubuntu on another partition to test any new and interesting software - but I rarely use Ubuntu.
Cheers
Martin
Toowoomba Linux Community
[url]http://groups.google.com/group/toowoombalinux[/url]
Puppy Linux 301 - KDE 3.5.8

obxjerry

#66 Post by obxjerry »

First let me cast my vote for Puppy as my favorite distro.

I am new to Linux so I am shopping. I have tried several distros and Puppy has one huge plus I haven't found in other OSs. Puppy is fun. It's not always easy but, it's always fun.

If I have a problem with Puppy and I work on it 3 hours, trying things, researching online, asking for help on the forum, it's all positive. I might solve it, I might learn to live with it, it's always OK.

If I have a problem with any other OS after 3 hours I feel like somebody or something is messing over me. I'm not having any fun. There are 2 explanations for why it doesn't work, bad design or I'm stupid. I'm not happy with either.

Hands down Puppy is the number one operating system, number one forum.

ttuuxxx

#67 Post by ttuuxxx »

obxjerry Puppy is fun, Its the operating system that I learned desktop linux on. A few years back I was a newbee and didn't know much either, and yes 3hr-5hrs sometimes days before you figure it out, but its fun and there's usually a lot of help, when I started there was hardly any help, things have changed a lot since then. The best help you can get is on this forum. I wouldn't go to the chat site its has a few undesirables.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

gerry

#68 Post by gerry »

Yes, Puppy is far and away favourite. Occasionally I think "A 'proper distro' might be better..." but they are not for me. I have a 10-year old desktop, with a Debian minimal install, which I try when Puppy gets a bit too chaotic, and an Acer Aspire One. This has the original windows squashed up at one end of the hd, and Dpup and Puppy 431 installed. On the Acer some funny things happen- I used Unetdootin to put Debian installer on a usb stick, but as soon as it started it said (more or less) "Oi! where's the dvd with the files on it?" EDIT: by which I don't mean that there is anything wrong with Debian, just that Puppy is easier, less complicated.

gerry
Last edited by gerry on Sun 04 Apr 2010, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#69 Post by musher0 »

In answer to the title question of this thread:

Yes, Puppy is my favourite distro. For pretty much the same reasons ttuuxx mentioned.

As for me, I'd say it from this angle:

it's more "democratic" than most other distros, even with the "Benevolent Dictator" developement model, because

1) you can store it on or boot it from any medium or computer, even if it's targeting older computers. To my knowledge, no other distro offers such a wide diversity of possibilities, in particular the "autonomous" DVD characteristic.

2) excluding the trimmed down puppies for aficionados and experimenters, the default offering of Puppies runs out of the box, and the choice of programs is more than sufficient to handle all daily tasks the ordinary computer user needs to do.

3) you can easily change it or add to it to suit specialized needs (music, or graphics, or editing, for example)

4) it respects your ownership of your machine by not asking undue or unnecessary passwords to implement those changes

5) to restate what ttuuxx said another way, there's lots and lots of help available on the forum; also many useful programs (pets) are available here and on support sites, plus access to Debian and other "logitheques" with the recent Puppy Program Manager

6) if a bug or problem is spotted, it's addressed and solved often within 24-48 hours through the forum or by the author. You don't always find such responsiveness with distros that don't have a large community base.

7) to expand on the responsiveness theme, lots of user requests have been implemented, that have made Puppy better or more useful.

I'll stop here before this becomes a full-fledged "Defense and Illustration of the Puppy Distro" ! :wink: Of course, if I'm commissioned to write this book, I'll be more than happy to oblige! :D

Maybe I shouldn't have written that last sentence... ! In any case, feel free to use the above arguments or any other reasonable ones you can come up with to publicize Puppy and let the world know! We need it just about now! :)

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

omskates

#70 Post by omskates »

I will eventually persuade my wife to spend more time on her desktop machine with Puppy rather than Ubuntu. If I can get Puppy to play nice with the wacom on my serial tablet better than Mint does, I'll gladly switch it over. My daughter uses puppy exclusively and her experience with it is excellent. I play with PuppyLinux puplets all the time learning more & more hoping to make a full switch over on all the family machines. This community is the best.

BTW IMO, I think some members are too hard on ttuuxxx for being somewhat opinionated and outspoken; of which I've never seen anything inappropriate or unsubstantiated. You just keep on goin the way you do dude! :)

linuxsansdisquedur

#71 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

Sure puppy is my home distro ! small hard disk i've recycled not big enough for others !
gotta make a choice... 8)
le max avec le min

runtt21

#72 Post by runtt21 »

I started off with Fedora 7 , I had beryl installed in it, I loved it, Then I had a tri-boot with Fedora/ubuntu and sabayon . LOVED them all. I used dreamlinux and even antiX . AntiX was the only one I didn't like. But I have ditch them all. The only linux I use now is puppy (macpup) .