can Puppy run on USB Flash drive

Booting, installing, newbie
satimis

can Puppy run on USB Flash drive

#1 Post by satimis »

Hi folks,

Can puppy-1.0.8-mozilla be installed/run on USB Flash Drive? If YES where can I find the manual.

TIA

B.R.
satimis

bongmaster

#2 Post by bongmaster »

all isntructions are on the main site..

i got mine running off of a pen drive.. but use the cd to boot it..

#3 Post by Guest »

Hi bongmaster,

Tks for your advice.

I looked at that website before. It seemed to me for Compact Flash Drive not USB Flash Drive, pen drive. Unfortunately http://www.goosee.com/puppy/ is now down. Maybe for the time being. I'll look at it again later. Besides I expect to boot at pen drive instead of carrying 2 hardware in pocket, cd and pen. Would it be possible?

TIA

B.R.
satimis

moosepup

#4 Post by moosepup »

Have you tried looking at http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/index.html?

He's using 1.0.7, and I haven't used it yet, but as soon as my new USB drive comes in, I'm going to try loading it. Should be perfect for those days I'm at the public library or the school computer lab and I need a "Puppy fix." :)

--Dan

satimis

#5 Post by satimis »

Hi moosepup,

Tks for your advice.
I came across this document before ... something like virtual machine? I already have following packages download;
kqemu-0.7.2.tar.gz
linux-test-0.5.1.tar.gz
qemu-0.8.0.tar.gz
small.ffs.bz2

I'm going to test it later.

But I'm also interested to learn how get puppy-1.0.8rl-mozilla running USB pen drive.

Tks

B.R.
satimis

mikeymouse

#6 Post by mikeymouse »

I have puppy 1.07 running on a lexar 128 meg jumpdrive.. then i installed it on a memorex 1 gig travel drive..
it installed using the software thats in puppy. I havent tried version 1.08 yet.
You shouldnt have any problems... good luck

mikeymouse

#7 Post by mikeymouse »

Sorry I was in windows when i sent the last message and couldnt remember the name of the program in puppy.
Just go to setup and down to install puppy on usb drive.
The instructions walk you thru it with no problem ..
good luck mikeymouse

babbs

#8 Post by babbs »

I have several USB thumb drives:
- A SanDisk Cruzer mini, 1GB - I have done both a fresh install to USB, and an upgrade to my bootable Puppy Linux installs. I have had no problems (others have, but I have not) with Puppy versions 1.0.5, 1.0.6, and 1.0.7. I will attempt to do both with 1.0.8r1 in the next day or two.
- A SanDisk Cruzer micro, 1GB - This belongs to my employer. Although I've been tempted to install Puppy to it, I have resisted... :(
- A PNY Attache, 1GB - Like the Cruzer mini, I have done both types of installs for Puppy versions 1.0.6 and 1.0.7. This is another brand that some have had problems with, but I have not been able to experience them for myself. I will also be converting this drive to 1.0.8r1 in the next day or two.

I downloaded 1.0.8r1 to my local system yesterday, and I burned the CD this morning. Before I could try it, however, my boss found out that I had a new Puppy and wanted it... :( I need to burn another copy for myself... This boss has gone from "Why do they call it Puppy; cause it can't run with the big dogs?" to jumping me for my copy of the latest version... :D

craigbla

#9 Post by craigbla »

I use a Sandisk cruzer mini 256 and this worked for me:
Format USB FAT32
Run syslinux z: (Win32 version for me under XP) z: = USB drive letter.
Copy these files from the Puppy CD to the key:
image.gz
usr_cram.fs
vmlinuz
Create syslinux.cfg (use an editor that respects UNIX conventions) EditPad or VIM - My syslinux.cfg =
default vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz
append PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1 PFILE=pup100-none-131072

Done!
Craig

satimis

#10 Post by satimis »

Hi craigbla and folks,

Tks for your advice.

craigbla's advice works for me here.
craigbla wrote:append PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1 PFILE=pup100-none-131072
Please explain what they are;
PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1
PFILE=pup100-none-131072

TIA

Furthermore I think my motherboard 2thMax 8KHA only has USB port=1.1, taking prolonged time loading from the pendrive. Is there any trick?

TIA

B.R.
satimis