Test on V1.0.2RC PupGet alien pkg button. Dogzilla challenge

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Waldo2

Test on V1.0.2RC PupGet alien pkg button. Dogzilla challenge

#1 Post by Waldo2 »

Here are the results on 2 packages. In both cases I got an "error expanding" message. Files were DLed and opened from MyDocuments. I then ran TKzip on the XnView file and extracted the contents successfully, and clicked the "Install" program from ROX but got no response. At this point my Linux knowhow ends. On the Adobe package I first got a file corrupted message from TKzip, so I re-downloaded and got the same message again. I then switched to Windows and the file tested as good under a program called ExplorerPlus which I had used succesfully to download and extract the Unleashed package last week. I noticed that the tar itself was 97MB, but I did not do a Windows extraction. Possibly there are some file size issues with TKzip extraction. My Pup100 runs in a Fat32 partition with about 1GB of free space. The machine is an Athlon 800MHz with 256MB RAM.

By way of encouragement for anyone interested, these are both very deserving candidates for Unleashed status, or even just a basic install how-to. See my comments below.

XnView V1.68.1 (static) ~1.5MB
http://www.xnview.com/

"There was an error expanding package XnView-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static. Either the file is corrupted, or has not expanded into its own directory with name of XnView-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static/ (which is how most packages expand)."

Adobe Reader 7.0 ~37.6MB
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

"There was an error expanding package AdbeRdr70_linux_enu.
Either the file is corrupted, or has not expanded into its own directory with..."

XnView is a freeware graphics file viewer/editor/converter/slideshow - a sort of uberfeatured GTKsee. It is recommended by the Scribus author, and is the closest thing I have found to a thin, one stop digital camera picture editor. It is not a bitmap editor, but can handle most other image manipulation including croping, rotation, gamma and color correction, etc. It is crossplatform and very mature. Its most distinctive feature is doing conversions between over 200 graphics formats, including some vector to raster conversions. The newest Windows version can even use Photoshop filters, and the author says that the Unix version will soon catch up (it tends to lag the Windows releases). It makes a good complement to a basic bitmap editor like mtPaint.

As for Adobe Reader, Version 7.0 is the first since 5.x to support Unix/Linux. Of course anyone distributing PDF documents must ultimately test with the Adobe version, and 5.x is now very old. Too bad Adobe doesn't believe in puppies. Version 7 is more like Dogzilla.
Last edited by Waldo2 on Wed 11 May 2005, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#2 Post by JohnMurga »

XnView ... That is pretty good under Windows.

I'll take a look at that at the weekend, it is something I would really like in my Puppy variant (God knows how I am going to fit it in though)...

Cheers
JohnM

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

Xnview screenshot: http://tinypic.com/51wqxg

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#4 Post by JohnMurga »

Cool, you've made a .pup already !?

Cheers
JohnM

Waldo2

#5 Post by Waldo2 »

AhHa. Thanks for looksee. If you can give me some installation pointers, I'd love to give it a spin. I am quite familiar with the Windows version. Hope that the Linux version is useful enough to deserve DotPup treatment.

Regarding digital camera progs, the best package for casual users is Picasa2 which became freeware when Google bought the company. The New York Times reviewed it a few weeks ago and compared it favorably to Adobe Elements, et.al. It does a little more handholding than I prefer, but is very full featured. The prog is just 3.3MB but is Windows only (at least for now). It apparently runs well under Wine, but I imagine that Wine would be a big swallow for Puppy.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#6 Post by JohnMurga »

Hey
It apparently runs well under Wine, but I imagine that Wine would be a big swallow for Puppy.
It has been talked about, and is doable ... But the thing is that running windows software isn't really what Puppy is about.

Either way I use Picassa on Windows, it is pretty good :-)

Cheers
JohnM

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

i didn't make a dotpup
not yet anyway

it's not GPL so you need to respect the copyrights

i downloaded the tgz file and unzipped it

i copied the binaries (in the bin dir) to my-applications/bin

i copied the library files (in lib) to my-applications/lib

i copied XnView.ad (in app-defaults) to /etc/X11/app-defaults, and renamed it to XvView

now xnview should run

all it really needs is a Puppy-install.sh script

i could convert the man files to text ... not sure if that would violate the copyright though

Waldo2

#8 Post by Waldo2 »

Thanks for the instructions. I installed it and ran a few tests. The appearance is a little dated (the Linux version uses a Mosaic library) but it seems completely functional, with one exception. I scanned a CD which had about 1000 small jpgs and the thumbnails came up fine. One of the nice features of XnView is that it will cache the thumbnails (optional setting) so they pop up very fast the next time you browse a folder. I edited a couple of pictures with good results.

XnView screenshot: Browser and edit windows.

The screen capture under Windows is pretty good - it will capture full screen or a selected window, but I could not get it running on Puppy. A thread on the Unix XnView forum suggests that this is related to the xnview.sh settings. I saw this file in the install tarball, but I'm not sure where it goes or what to do with it. http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=466

In any case, this goes on my list of 10 desert island Puppy (Linux) programs, pending some additional testing. Again, it is not a bitmap editor, but does have a few camera related features such as redeye removal. I don't expect any Wine on the island anyway - it usually goes down with the ship, maybe sinks the ship.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

i think all xnview.sh does, is set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH before it runs xnview

it has 2 problems 1) it looks for xnview only in /bin 2) it sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH only to the xnview library files, so the normal library files are no longer in the path

if you copied the library files to /root/my-applications/lib, you don't need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so you shouldn't need xnview.sh