How to make Forte Media FM801 Sound card work?

Booting, installing, newbie
Trev

How to make Forte Media FM801 Sound card work?

#1 Post by Trev »

Hi
In response to the message in Hardwareprobe to forward a screen dump, I have attached it to this email.
I am trying to recognise a a Forte Media fm-801 sound card. I am using puppy 1.0.7
I followed your instructions in help and went to "ibiblio' to download
"modules-ALL-xxx.tar.gz " It now seems the file is called " modules-2.4.9-complete.tar.gz "
I hope? Anyway the only file I could see that I thought it might be was forte.o which I then loaded to /root and ran insmod /root/forte.o But nothing worked.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Many thanks in advance
Trev

[/img]
Attachments
Hardwareprobe3.png
(8.22 KiB) Downloaded 499 times

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

There's no need to add a forte.o module separately ... it's already in Puppy. Just do "modprobe forte"

The reason your previous attempt failed is that by insmod'ing the forte module the other modules necessary are not loaded, namely soundcore and ac97_codec.

Puppy2 will have ALSA. Then your module will be snd-fm801.

tedward

Re: How to make Forte Media FM801 Sound card work?

#3 Post by tedward »

Trev wrote:Hi
In response to the message in Hardwareprobe to forward a screen dump, I have attached it to this email.
I am trying to recognise a a Forte Media fm-801 sound card. I am using puppy 1.0.7
I followed your instructions in help and went to "ibiblio' to download
"modules-ALL-xxx.tar.gz " It now seems the file is called " modules-2.4.9-complete.tar.gz "
I hope? Anyway the only file I could see that I thought it might be was forte.o which I then loaded to /root and ran insmod /root/forte.o But nothing worked.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Many thanks in advance
Trev

[/img]
FWIW ALSA sound in puppy 108 recognises the FM 801 card so that's another eventual solution. (forte.o is an OSS driver as in Puppy 1.0.7)

PS Still no luck with the joystick (ns558 module) in 1.0.8 tho' but I'm ever optimistic.

Cheers tedward

Trev

#4 Post by Trev »

Hi tempestuous and tedward
Many thanks for your info.
That worked fine and found the sound card.
But I need a bit more info on how to make it work automatically on bootup.
At present after re-boot I have to do modprobe again ( Im pretty new to Linux but I now have puppylove with music)
Many thanks again
Trev

tedward

#5 Post by tedward »

Trev wrote:Hi tempestuous and tedward
Many thanks for your info.
That worked fine and found the sound card.
But I need a bit more info on how to make it work automatically on bootup.
At present after re-boot I have to do modprobe again ( Im pretty new to Linux but I now have puppylove with music)
Many thanks again
Trev
Hi Trevor,
For a permanent solution to your difficulty with Puppy 1.0.7 use a text editor (Beaver will do) and navigate to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and type:
modprobe forte

Save this edit to make the change permanent.

You will not need to do this again. It will be actioned automatically on each bootup.