DHCP but NO DNS --- AGAIN

Using applications, configuring, problems
OldYogi

DHCP but NO DNS --- AGAIN

#1 Post by OldYogi »

This has been a recurrent problem it seems. I been running Puppy off of a USB stick for several years - a happy Puppy. Now, however, in Puppy 4.31 my wireless can't find a DNS server. All earlier versions of Puppy worked flawlessly. I am running two laptops: A Lenovo T43 with an Intel 2915 ABG wireless; and a Dell Latitude D630, with a Broadcom card. There is a new version of Puppy 4.31 with a fix for the Broadcom drivers, and it works well, so that the card is recognized and I can connect to my wireless network, just as I can with the Thinkpad. But on neither machine can I get a proper connection out.

On both machines, DHCP goes through IPV4LL, and I get a useless IP address of 169.254.XXX.XXX.

The wireless system is a DLink - DI 624, and a DLink DWL -G710 extender.

Using he Nework Wizard I have tried assigning a static IP to the Lenovo, but I still can't get out. I've plugged in the DNS addresses of my ISP, and just in case, the IP of the router, since I can configure it to relay the DNS. Neither works.

The DI624 has an IP address of 192.168.0.1. When I try to use that as the gateway address, I'm told it isn't on the network. When I use the address of the extender 192.168.0.30; it is accepted, but an attempt to Ping anything draws a blank --- not a time out, not a message of can't connect, just nothing.

I've spent two days reading posts on this, but nothing helps -- for example, I've edited resolv.conf, to plug in the DNS addresses.

Anyone have any ideas? thanks.

jafadmin

#2 Post by jafadmin »

Since you're getting an APIPA (169.254.XXX.XXX) address, it means you're not handshaking with the WAP properly and not getting DHCP from it. Double check your SSID and security settings. If problems persist, and if possible, disable security on the WAP to trouble shoot and see if you can connect then.

One common mistake is not matching whether the encryption key is ASCII (text) or hexidecimal.

OldYogi

#3 Post by OldYogi »

Turning off encryption didn't help.
When I try to narrow this down, I start from the fact that the only thing that changed was that I updated to Puppy 4.31. Nothing else changed -- not the router settings, nor the network login from the DHCP clients (the two laptops). So surely something has changed in Puppy 4.31. in dhcpcd? or in its associated scripts.

Anyone have any ideas of what may have changed?

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Boot using "puppy pfix=ram" and see what happens.

jafadmin

#5 Post by jafadmin »

OldYogi wrote:Turning off encryption didn't help.
When I try to narrow this down, I start from the fact that the only thing that changed was that I updated to Puppy 4.31. Nothing else changed -- not the router settings, nor the network login from the DHCP clients (the two laptops). So surely something has changed in Puppy 4.31. in dhcpcd? or in its associated scripts.

Anyone have any ideas of what may have changed?
Can you see the wireless network in pwireless? If so, will it let you connect from there?

ecomoney

#6 Post by ecomoney »

and post the results of

Code: Select all

dhcpcd -d eth0
or whatever your interface is

also try...

Code: Select all

dhcpcd -k eth0
and then try to reconnect as normal. This closes dhcpcd and kills all of the log files and caches associated with it...I dont know what these are I just know there are a few of them.[/code]
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

OldYogi

#7 Post by OldYogi »

I just loaded the Alpha version of puppy 4.4 (now pup-431-2; and it worked flawlessly. Connected right away. It defaults to using Pwireless to connect.

Just to test, I will go back to 4.31, and try Pwireless there, and try the other suggestions.

I just tested and the result is conclusive -- running 4.31, and using pwireless, I do indeed find the network -- indeed, both the original signal from the router, and the signal from the range extender. But, regardless of which I try to connect to, I get the same APIPA (169.254.XXX.XXX) address.

I believe that the new Puppy 4.31-2 is using a new Pwireless. It is that, or something, which makes the difference. I'll look forward to Pups built on the new base.

Thanks everyone.