Quirky 018 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
broomdodger

Re: gnumeric crash

#221 Post by broomdodger »

jrb wrote:Hi, Has anyone else noted that Gnumeric crashes when you go to Format-Cells?
Yes, quirky018 and quirky013 crash format > cells

puppy431 format > cells is ok

alas

wary-019 on the gecko edubook

#222 Post by alas »

hi all, i am new here and wanted to try wary-019 on my gecko edubook. I have upgraded my bios in order to get rid of the apm bug, and did a standard installation of wary on a 2gb sd card. here are the difficulties i am facing:

1. wary boots and brings me to the xorgwizard utility; if i am choosing another language than us, i get a blank screen and i am unable to get back to a prompt (either with ctrl+alt+F1 or F2, or with ctrl+alt+backspace); i have to reboot the gecko by pressing the on/off button;

2. booting wary and choosing the default (given) settings in xorgwizard, it brings me to the next screen where i have to choose either xorg or xvesa; but whatever i choose, i always get a blank screen (fortunately, i can get back to the xorgwizard utility with ctrl+alt+F1); even if i am choosing a non standard resolution for my edubook (say, 800x600), i get this blank screen an nothing happens.

puppy 431 and 432 works fine on the edubook (although with limitations underlined by Barry in his blog). thanks for support and help.

JustGreg

#223 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks, Hesse James, for the information. I have looked at the web sites. The NVidia driver is a hot topic with other distributions. It is not that easy to install.

Yes, I do reboot after installing the devx and kernel source sfs files. Still get the problem. I will try to do it exactly following the Igulender how to.

Thank you for confirming that NV and Nouveau drivers are for the Nvidia video hardware. I have noticed that my Nvidia Ion LE hardware is not detected properly. Xorgwizard does not associate either with my video hardware.

I have several things to try and will post the results.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

JustGreg

#224 Post by JustGreg »

I have checked Quirky using the system interface tool. The PCI portion does identify the video process as NVIDIA with a device number 0x087E. Quirky also uses the xorg.conf.NVIDIAF19 file to set up xorg.conf. The NVIDIAF19 file forces the use of the VESA driver.

I found by placing nv_driver.so and nouveau_driver.so in the /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-alternate directory, one could use them by the tweak tool of xorgwizard. I found that the nv driver just failed and would not start. The nouveau driver just crashed the system, the video shutdown. I had to turn off the power and use another puppy system to go back to the original xorg.conf.
In looking at the /usr/lib/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers directory did not have a type la file for the nouveau driver. The pet did not install one either. The type la file is a library linking configuration file (I think). I think the lack of it is why the nouveau driver failed so badly.

I download the nVidia old version (190.53) driver that does work with Puppy 4.3.1. When I try to install it, the installer reported that it found the kernel sources, but could not determine what version of the kernel was being used. I tried a option (--kernel-name='kernel name') that I thought might work. It did not. It appears there needs to be file or environmental variable that has the kernel version information missing.

Any ideas on what to try next?
Enjoy life, Just Greg

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#225 Post by Flash »

I burned Quirky to a DVD-RW using Burniso2cd, booted it, configured this and that, shut down saving to the DVD. Everything worked fine when I rebooted and all my settings had been retained.

A few boots later I needed to convert an audio book into mp3 so I could listen to it on my mp3 player. I installed Pcdripper from the Puppy 4 repository of the Puppy package manager. Everything seemed to go well, and there were no missing libraries reported. But, when I clicked on Pcdripper in the Multimedia menu, It started, but only as far as asking if I wanted to rip another disk.

I entered pcdripper in urxvt and got the error message shown, plus the window asking if I want to rip another disk.

Pcdripper has had this problem all along, but in Puppy 4.3.1 it would usually get past that question if I clicked Yes enough times. Another thing wrong with Pcdripper is that it doesn't retain my settings. Could they be related?

I really like Pcdripper. It allows me to number the files it rips in such a way that it is easy to combine many CDs into one directory with the mp3 files numbered so that they play in the correct sequence. No other CD ripper I've tried does that. However, Pcdripper has some flaws. Most are just mistakes in the design of the GUI which I suppose could be easily rectified by someone who knows what he's doing. :lol: I tinkered with it a bit, to no avail. However there is this one serious bug I'm reporting here. It's really a bug in Pcdripper, but it didn't prevent me using the program until Quirky.
Attachments
pcdripper error.png
(12.38 KiB) Downloaded 883 times

Sage

NEW GRUB

#226 Post by Sage »

OK - I don't get it. GRUB4DOS. I am a mere user with lots of calls upon my time. I am NOT an IT person, just a user. I am not stupid; I am well qualified in an entirely different profession. As far as PC s are concerned, I do HW, not SW. The introduction of NEW GRUB in the Linux world instead of the old 0.9.2 workhorse is yet another example of the academic smart *sses talking amongst themselves, again, as far as I am concerned. I speak as an ex-academic - I know the breed well. OLD GRUB works for me. Now we get GRUB4DOS in Quirky, a compact distro. I don't need it, I don't want it and I certainly don't want the hassle when OLD GRUB worked, and still works off 4.3.1, for me. Please don't waste my valuable time unnecessarily. I know you have to do this, do that, do the other to get NEW GRUB installed; it's a retrograde step to ask users to jump through additionalhoops that weren't there a few weeks ago. You got it right first time.
Strike a blow for freedom and choice. Let's have OLD GRUB as an option to satisfy everyone - perhaps even a LILO option. It's nice to have all the latest gizmos available but there's a good case to make for not burdening followers with new tricks to learn every time the industry moves on - that's why some distro maintain Enterprise Editions. Not a dinosaur, I love progress, but I also like to get results in double quick time.
Spoken for all those too timid to express an honest opinion.
Not a criticism, per se, of any one individual, just a point of view. Opinions and dissent should strengthen the breed without folks taking umbrage when it doesn't concord with their approach.

To solve the present impasse, I am using OLD GRUB from 4.3.1; just takes twice as long to boot up a second disc. So those who can't agree with me, don't say I don't provide answers as well as questions.

tlchost

Re: NEW GRUB

#227 Post by tlchost »

Sage wrote:I am a mere user with lots of calls upon my time. I am NOT an IT person, just a user.
There are a few threads in the forum where developers go out of their way to chastise users for requesting features and/or bug fixes. The art of development must not be sullied by users.

To lower my frustration level, I look at many things as an experiment, designed for that purpose, rather than working out of the box, and/or being a practical tool. Lowered Expectations seem to produce Lowered Frustrations.

Thom

Sage

#228 Post by Sage »

Agreed. I was entirely happy with OLD GRUB. I had no greater expectations. It's time I am short of.

nooby

#229 Post by nooby »

Sage,

as users we can only suggest how we would like it to be.

Developers do what they prefer in the end.

Sage, I think it is much worse than you write. Grub2 is the in thing on the major distos so most likely Puppy need to live up to be able to use Grub2 too.

I guess there will always exists people who keep the older puppies alive so no worry but the latest versions of Puppy will most likely be updated to some of the new trends in linux development and Grub2 seems to be that trend.

I don't like it either but we have to deal with it if we want to be dual booting with Ubuntu 10.04 and such?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rcrsn51

#230 Post by rcrsn51 »

The issue with GRUB4DOS in Quirky is not whether it's better or worse or necessary. It's the lack of documentation.

Actually, GRUB4DOS is easier to install than legacy GRUB 0.9.7. Someone just needs to ask how.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 23 Apr 2010, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Re: Wary 019

#231 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote:On the other hand, going the other way, here is the very latest Ati driver (April 5, 2010).

Leon, try this also...
I downloaded Wary 020 and when choosing probe and 1920X1080 I get 1280X1024.
After downloading xf86-video-ati-radeon_mach64_r128-6.12.7-w1.pet and installing it and running the xorg video wizard again I chose 1920X1080 (from probe) and that's what I got, the correct resolution.

The computer is a few months old and the built in graphics is a
"01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics"

broomdodger

wary020 gnumeric problem

#232 Post by broomdodger »

wary020 gnumeric problem

wary020 frugal

Clicking "calc" icon -- nothing

In console:

What is the message "unary operator expected" when opening console?

bash: [: -ge: unary operator expected
# which gnumeric
/usr/bin/gnumeric
# gnumeric
gnumeric: error while loading shared libraries: libgoffice-0.6.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# cd /
# find . -iname *libgoffice*
./usr/lib/libgoffice-0.6.la
./usr/lib/pkgconfig/libgoffice-0.6.pc
./usr/include/libgoffice-0.6
./initrd/pup_ro2/usr/include/libgoffice-0.6
./initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/libgoffice-0.6.la
./initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libgoffice-0.6.pc

Anyone else see this problem?

JustGreg

#233 Post by JustGreg »

I can not understand why the outcry over Grub4Dos. It is very much like Grub. It will use an existing Grub configuration file with out a problem. It is well documented. I am surprised that it is such a unknown. Several people took the time to explain "how to use" Grub4Dos to one of the people commenting on it. There are multiple posts on the forum.

If you are going to make changes to the Master Boot Record with any boot loader, it is recommended that one makes a copy using dd (by console terminal) before you make the change. This way, one can restore the storage device to its original state. I have seen and corrected Grub installations that have gone wrong. I have found using the "JustGreg" mbr (part of Puppy Installation tool) usually gets one to the point where you can get the system up.

Attached is a HTML file (in zip format) with the best Grub4Dos information for everyone's use. Please read it.. It covers most cases of installing Grub4Dos, except for Windows 7. New things do not work like old ones. Every new solution brings its own set of problems.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

upnorth

gnumeric; unary operator expected

#234 Post by upnorth »

@broomdodger Yes

also: in vt1
-sh [: -ge: unary operator expected

copied in libgoffice-0.6.so.6 symlink and libgoffice-0.6.so.6.0.3 from 431 and it then opens but dissappears when format cells is selected.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#235 Post by BarryK »

Wary 020 is released and has its own thread for feedback:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54728
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sage

#236 Post by Sage »

Many folks will thank JustGreg for his download. Unfortunately, it doesn't address the issues I raised unless his instructions include plans for a time machine! G4D isn't necessary, muddies the water and consumes the one commodity that many don't have. I took the baseline that everyone on this Forum can read and knew that the issue had been extensively discussed with the necessary assistance provided.

JustGreg

#237 Post by JustGreg »

Quirky has been an experiment release to find out what works and what has problems. If you are installing on systems that need to be used everyday, you are asking for problems, especially if the end user does not have a lot of experience (e.g. a simple user).

Grub4Dos is the result of the legacy Grub being no longer developed. The code is old and may not work on new systems and can cause problems. Someone has taken the effort to provide a new approach. They are doing it for free.

If you are going to work on computer systems, which are a collection of hardware and software, you need to be familiar with both. As far as I know software by itself is as useless as having only hardware. Although, with hardware only, you can warm your hands with the waste heat if the power is on :D

People who do not like the direction Puppy is going, can generate their own distribution. The Woof project/process allows one to do that. You can tune it to your desires and wishes. But, do not be surprised that some user feels they have better way of doing things.

If you do not want to do a distribution then make a script that will do a Puppy installation using Grub as the boot loader. You can make a Pet and allow people to select which boot loader they want to use.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

rjbrewer

#238 Post by rjbrewer »

Sage is right!

The greatest thing about Puppy when I first started using it,
was the way a full install would automatically install Grub to a drive.

Grub4dos makes that impossible afaik. A royal pain.

Having g4d as an option would be okay;
keep .97 as default.

Edit:

Grub4dos can be used in basically the same way; just not on
an ext4 partition.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

#239 Post by nooby »

unusual graphic error in q013 have not tested in q018 though. some of the chars are fuzzy instead of sharp

take this text.
I did as you say but typical of me to not get what you actually did say.

I misunderstood this part.
I make bold those chars that is most affected by the error in the example picture
Attachments
q013-error-example.png
hope it is not too big
(69.54 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

upnorth

bitmap fonts appearing in browser

#240 Post by upnorth »

Hi Nooby: you can try this:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... e67#409210

What version of firefox is that in your screenshot? I've never seen that happen in the Moz-based browsers - only in dillo and opera. Also in the gtk-moz browser only if more than one instance is open.

The "wary" version has this code also in local.conf, to test you only need to remove the <!-- and --> surrounding it.