Icewm menu icons

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
toomuchcomputertime

Icewm menu icons

#1 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

I cannot get Icewm's menu icons to show. Only icons with a full path in the .desktop files show. I think I have the IconPath set correctly, but still no icons.

Any ideas?

Thanks

jemimah

#2 Post by jemimah »

Create a file /usr/share/icewm/prefoverride and add the following contents:

Code: Select all

#  Icon search path (colon separated)
IconPath="/usr/local/share/icewm/icons:/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons:/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps:/usr/share/icons:/opt/kde/share/icons/default.kde/16x16/apps:/opt/kde3/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps:/usr/share/pixmaps"

toomuchcomputertime

#3 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

Thanks... but I already have that in both my preferences file and my prefoveride file.

I am not sure if it makes any difference for this (it has for other things) but I am running Puppy Lupu.

Thanks.

toomuchcomputertime

#4 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

bump

walter90

#5 Post by walter90 »

toomuchcomputertime wrote:Thanks... but I already have that in both my preferences file and my prefoveride file.

I am not sure if it makes any difference for this (it has for other things) but I am running Puppy Lupu.

Thanks.
Did you make a folder called icewm in .etc? You need to copy your preferences file into that folder when you edit it.

toomuchcomputertime

#6 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

Thanks,
I just made /etc/icewm and copied all the preference files from /root/.icewm to that folder, ran fixmenus and restarted icewm. Still no icons. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks.

WhoDo

#7 Post by WhoDo »

toomuchcomputertime wrote:Still no icons. Did I do something wrong?
Ok, let's get back to the basics. What format are the icons you want to use? Where are they located? How big are they (e.g. 48x48, 32x32)? Are you using the icon extension when it isn't .xpm?

The answers to these questions will help us to see what may be happening for you.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

battleshooter

#8 Post by battleshooter »

Why can't toomuchcomputertime just install Jemimah's icewm pet? It fixes the icons problem and has a shutdown menu. I'll bet toomuchcomputertime
is using 4.3x cause it seems to be showing the usual symptoms....

Battleshooter
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

toomuchcomputertime

#9 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

Thanks, yes I am using puppy lucid. I tried Icewm 1.3.2 and it would not give me icons, and icewm 1.3.5 did all sorts of weird stuff (italisized text in menus, doubled text...) but had icons. I found it was the file 'icewm' that made the difference. Yesterday I compiled 1.3.6 but it didn't give me icons either. Jeremiah's icewm (you just linked to) gives me all icons but the icons on the root menu (when you click the 'puppy button'), I can just put full paths in to fix that though. 1.3.2 showed icons when I put in the full path so I know it can support the icons I was using, it just was not using them for some reason, maybe because I am using Lucid.

Thanks everyone for your help, Jeremiah's pet is the fix I think. :lol:

Wow, Icons are nice!!!

walter90

#10 Post by walter90 »

toomuchcomputertime wrote:Thanks, yes I am using puppy lucid. I tried Icewm 1.3.2 and it would not give me icons, and icewm 1.3.5 did all sorts of weird stuff (italisized text in menus, doubled text...) but had icons. I found it was the file 'icewm' that made the difference. Yesterday I compiled 1.3.6 but it didn't give me icons either. Jeremiah's icewm (you just linked to) gives me all icons but the icons on the root menu (when you click the 'puppy button'), I can just put full paths in to fix that though. 1.3.2 showed icons when I put in the full path so I know it can support the icons I was using, it just was not using them for some reason, maybe because I am using Lucid.

Thanks everyone for your help, Jeremiah's pet is the fix I think. :lol:

Wow, Icons are nice!!!
Glad you got it worked out! :D

toomuchcomputertime

#11 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

Ok, I have another question, the icewm panel is using different sizes for the bar than for the minimize icons. I have been trying to edit the config files, but can't get it fixed. I have attached a picture. What do I need to change?

Thanks.
Attachments
icewmpanel.png
(118.91 KiB) Downloaded 1244 times

WhoDo

#12 Post by WhoDo »

toomuchcomputertime wrote:Ok, I have another question, the icewm panel is using different sizes for the bar than for the minimize icons. I have been trying to edit the config files, but can't get it fixed. I have attached a picture. What do I need to change?
They're not different sizes. The source images for the ones that appear smaller have a light line at the bottom that isn't in the buttons, etc. which is giving that illusion.

You need to modify the source images using GIMP or similar to fix the issue.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

toomuchcomputertime

#13 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

Ok, Thanks, I tried using a different theme and it works. The interesting thing is that it worked with a different version of icewm, maybe it reinstalled the theme with a older version of the theme?

Thanks