1.0.3 with framebuffer support, for NeoMagic/i810 graphics

News, happenings

1.0.3 with framebuffer support, for NeoMagic/i810 graphics

#1 Post by Guest »

I've put together an iso based on puppy-1.0.3 that has a framebuffer enabled kernel and X server to suit.

As I have limited bandwidth I'd like to hear from a handful of people interested in testing, particularly those with Dell laptops with the NeoMagic chipset and those with a i810 chipset. Leave a message via the board

The default resolution is 1024x768 which puppy will boot into by default, after booting you will not be put into a X session. Please type xwin at the prompt to start the X session ie: gui
Once you are happy with it. Edit /etc/profile

change

Code: Select all

#xwin
to

Code: Select all

xwin
for auto starup

pakt

Re: 1.0.3 with framebuffer support, for NeoMagic/i810 graphi

#2 Post by pakt »

bladehunter wrote:I've put together an iso based on puppy-1.0.3 that has a framebuffer enabled kernel and X server to suit.

As I have limited bandwidth I'd like to hear from a handful of people interested in testing, particularly those with Dell laptops with the NeoMagic chipset and those with a i810 chipset. Leave a message via the board
Sounds very interesting. Does your laptop have the original i810 chipset, or is it a derivative like the i815, i830, etc?

My Dell has the i855 chipset, also a successor to the i810.

Which X server are you using?

I've just tried the Xi810 driver that Barry compiled, but that didn't work on my laptop or on a PC with the i815.

Please see my message http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?p=3726#3726

#3 Post by Guest »

I have a rather old Dell Latitude CPi, D300XT, with the NoeMagic chipset, but I've tried it on a few other boxes at home, none with an intel chipset, but Via and nVidia chipsets and all seems to be ok.

pakt

Re: 1.0.3 with framebuffer support, for NeoMagic/i810 graphi

#4 Post by pakt »

bladehunter wrote:I've put together an iso based on puppy-1.0.3 that has a framebuffer enabled kernel and X server to suit.
Which X server are you refering to?

FreeDesktop.org Framebuffer server

#5 Post by Guest »

The FreeDesktop.org Framebuffer server built from cvs sources in January of this year along with the required libraries and additional fonts.

pakt

#6 Post by pakt »

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like I should give your iso a try. What size is it and how do I go about getting it?

I've got a POTS dial-up connection, but given enough time (hours), I usually do manage to download Puppy in one piece. :)

pakt

#7 Post by pakt »

Bladehunter, thanks for making your iso available. I tried it on the Dell 510m (i855) and an old box with i815 graphics.

I got the same results from both PCs:

#xwin
This script... <snip>
Starting X with Xfbdev

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/puppypc:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
Error opening /dev/fb0: No such file or directory

Fatal server error:
no screens found
<snip>

Hope this makes som sense to you :?

#8 Post by Guest »

There was a README on the server....

Anyways the options for the framebuffer kernels are the standard Puppy ones (1 -5) +5

ie 1 is without framebuffer 6 is with framebuffer
2 is without framebuffer 7 is with framebuffer
3 is without framebuffer 8 is with framebuffer

pakt

#9 Post by pakt »

bladehunter wrote:There was a README on the server....
What README are you referring to? And where is it?
bladehunter wrote:Anyways the options for the framebuffer kernels are the standard Puppy ones (1 -5)
I've searched the Puppy website for "standard puppy kernel options" and found no references to them.

There is no menu when Puppy starts (at least up to version 1.0.1). It begins to boot immediately, so I don't see where one would put these kernel options...

Please enlighten me ;)

#10 Post by Guest »

Start windows and browse the cd have a look at isolinux.cfg

Or when puppy boots with the iso downloaded from my site press 6 to boot to save to hd or 7 with no save to hd

papaschtroumpf

#11 Post by papaschtroumpf »

using option 7 I get the exact same error message on my dell d505
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

#12 Post by Guest »

That's the i810 chipset isn't it ?

pakt

#13 Post by pakt »

papaschtroumpf wrote:using option 7 I get the exact same error message on my dell d505
Ditto on my Dell 510m

FWIW, the Dell D505 and Dell 510m laptops are practically identical, but can vary in some details. In this case, they do have the same i810 family chipset. ;)

BTW, I found another possible puppy i810 server. See http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=4143#4143 for more info.