Midori browser (2.5 MB ~static ) 5MB full shared +all deps

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
technosaurus

#41 Post by technosaurus »

the updated glib is REQUIRED - I had to update it for libsoup to compile - that should fix you up
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

abushcrafter

#42 Post by abushcrafter »

I give up fails, fails and fails :(.

Colonel Panic

#43 Post by Colonel Panic »

technosaurus wrote:the updated glib is REQUIRED - I had to update it for libsoup to compile - that should fix you up
Thanks, that finally did it. I'm now posting from Midori.

Once again, thank you for a decent browser; even in 4.30, it runs at just 56 processes showing on the Gkrellm meter, which is comparable to what Dillo and Netsurf manage whilst offering fewer facilities.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

DMcCunney

#44 Post by DMcCunney »

Colonel Panic wrote:Thanks, that finally did it. I'm now posting from Midori.

Once again, thank you for a decent browser; even in 4.30, it runs at just 56 processes showing on the Gkrellm meter, which is comparable to what Dillo and Netsurf manage whilst offering fewer facilities.
Don't take total number of processes as indicative.

Under Xfce4 on 4.31, ps returns a total of 47 processes. Run Midori, and the process total increases by one to 48 - the midori process.

Top is a better indicator of resource consumption, Here, it shows Midori using a 13MB resident memory segment, a 130MB virtual size, about 13% memory usage, and CPU usage varying by what is going on.

The nice thing about Midori is that it uses few resources when loaded but not in use. CPU usage drops to about 1%, for example (though memory requirements are unchanged.

It seems roughly comparable to the static build of Opera 10.10 on my machine. Load time for Midori is about 20 seconds to Opera's 25. Opera has a larger resident size (38MB) but lower virtual size (80MB). Opera uses a larger portion of memory (16.5%), but has roughly similar CPU usage at rest.

I think Opera has an edge in rendering speed, but not a huge one.
______
Dennis

Colonel Panic

#45 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for the info Dennis. You're right, my means of judging the resource usage of an app or distro needs a bit of refinement :)

If you're running 4.20, another library seems to be required - libsqlite-3.3.6.12.so.0.

There is a fix for it in this thread;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 808600434c

but then you're back to the "symbol lookup errors" again. I suspect Midori only works well in the latest Pups (4.3+).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

capoverde

#46 Post by capoverde »

Installed first the updated glib, then midori-2.2-92.pet in Puppy 4.3.1 half an hour ago; has been working nicely with no hassle first try. Seems quite stable, very fast start & rendering, the <Ctrl>+scrollwheel text zoom is cool! *And no <insert> key bug...* Why sure, this was posted with it.

Real nice job Technosaurus, thanks a lot! :D

abushcrafter

#47 Post by abushcrafter »

Oh joy :) I have got it working on a fresh install of Stardust012 using the "midori_shared-2.2-93.pet".

DaveS

#48 Post by DaveS »

Working fine in my 4.3.1 using midori_shared-2.2-93.pet. Fascinating browser. Lovely clean interface, and speed-dial as well. Cool :)
Specifying download folder other than /root/ does not stick.
Known difficult to render pages remain difficult :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#49 Post by DaveS »

Could somebody explain how to use Uget (or any other) download manager with Midori please. I have specified it as a helper application and it appears in the right click menu, but does not seem to integrate in that it has no download link loaded??????????????
Appologies if I am just being thick!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Rupp

#50 Post by Rupp »

n/t

xman

#51 Post by xman »

I tried Midori a week or so before I uninstalled it. Midori is a lightweight and fast browser, but unfortunately, very unstable on my 4.31. Midori crashed every time when I close certain internet page unsuitable for Midori. It also froze a couple of times, and I don't know why.

So, back to Firefox or Opera.

DaveS

#52 Post by DaveS »

Some useful set up info here
http://wiki.xfce.org/midori_faq
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#53 Post by DaveS »

I get some very strange effects with rendering when a site links to a page within itself which opens in the parent tab instead of a new tab. On returning to the parent page via the back button, the parent page garbles on scrolling. I cant take a screen shot to show what I mean as loading the screenshot program resets the page to perfect LOL LOL. The work around is to either re-load the parent page from scratch, or hold down ctrl to force a new tab.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Eyes-Only

#54 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi DaveS,

I installed this .pet into my "Unofficial 4.3.2 Puppy" ( frugal install ), the one released by BarryK, and I was getting exactly what you described above as well - a type of "inner-doubling-back-upon itself" of the original page when using the "back button" ( either from the icon menu or from right-clicking upon the browser's main window and selecting "back" ).

However, mine has since ceased doing such.

The only thing I can possibly think of for a reason here is that I use the "pfix=fsck" command in the grub menu.lst file so that my Pup_save.2fs file is corrected for errors upon each boot.

Of course... more than likely I could be all wet behind the ears as usual? :?

Good Luck!/Bonne Chance!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

DaveS

#55 Post by DaveS »

Eyes-Only wrote:Hi DaveS,

I installed this .pet into my "Unofficial 4.3.2 Puppy" ( frugal install ), the one released by BarryK, and I was getting exactly what you described above as well - a type of "inner-doubling-back-upon itself" of the original page when using the "back button" ( either from the icon menu or from right-clicking upon the browser's main window and selecting "back" ).

However, mine has since ceased doing such.

The only thing I can possibly think of for a reason here is that I use the "pfix=fsck" command in the grub menu.lst file so that my Pup_save.2fs file is corrected for errors upon each boot.

Of course... more than likely I could be all wet behind the ears as usual? :?

Good Luck!/Bonne Chance!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
Merci. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I always run pfix=fsck so it is not that. Have you installed anything else that may have brought an updated lib that fixed it?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Eyes-Only

#56 Post by Eyes-Only »

Sorry Dave :( not that I can think of right off hand, although you could be onto something there with that line of thinking as I'm forever installing software into my various frugal installs - be they Quirky, Stardust, LuPu, 4.3.2, etc., - for trial and testing, however, when Midori did start up ( from CLI, which is usually how I start software I'm testing for the first time ) in both Dpup and 4.3.2 there weren't any additional requirements.

When I tried Techno's builds here in my 4.2.1 HDD install though that was a completely different matter altogether of course where Midori had originally been compiled for 4.3.1 to begin with. I had tried it to update a much older build I had in there ( which subsequently had far fewer options ), and did so because a poster further back had success in his 4.2.x. Wished I'd had the same. :( No matter what I did I kept getting in CLI "bus error".

So I've left it aside in 4.2.1 until I have time further on - as if, eh? ;) No biggie actually as I collect browsers like I do window managers. LOL!

Sorry that I wasn't of any help Dave. :-\

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

DaveS

#57 Post by DaveS »

Technosaurus, there is a little icon missing that should appear to give access to the menu when the menu bar is turned off from the view preffs.
I really like this browser, mainly because it is so fast, and seems to run without using a cache, so does not fill up the save file.
Sure there are a few issues, but it is easy to work around them and I can always fall back on Seamonkey for difficult sites.
Attachments
midori.png
(7.97 KiB) Downloaded 2761 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

invisible man

One click pony

#58 Post by invisible man »

Midori; either from Lucid or other repo's. If someone wants to trim down dependencies, can"t that be done after a stable version is in whatever variety of Puppy derivative. Keep the Necessary length. Set pet to load from Puppy browser, or the new pakage installer in Lupu, for consistent use. Please list in Lupu what works. Thanks, Inv. Man

DaveS

#59 Post by DaveS »

This little .pet installs the missing 'new tab' icon and the 'web-browser' icon which should appear to allow access to menus when menu bar is switched off. NOTE......... it installs a file into /root called .gtkrc.mine. This tiny file is for the user to edit to make changes to gtk. It is unlikely you will have activated this but be aware if you have that this .pet will overwrite your version.
This .pet saves having to install the whole Tango icon theme to fix these missing icons.
Attachments
Tango.pet
(3.23 KiB) Downloaded 844 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#60 Post by 01micko »

Hi techno

Not working too bad in Lupu-111 (latest). Flash seems just fine.

My connection has been a little flakey today and it seems Midori doesn't like trying too hard. It timesout very quickly whereas firefox will connect, albeit slowly.

Any reason I keep getting (at first run of the browser, sometimes) the "res%" in the tab? Seems a bit weird. Like if you make a woof, say a slackpup, then you grab say, Firefox, or even Geany from the slack repos, you get the thing opening up at "%F" or something similar, saw it too with a deb of geany in Lupu.

Nice job and cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access