wish list for next puppy release

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
SportsGeek

Apologies- Please add Desktop Menu keystrokes

#201 Post by SportsGeek »

My apologies for wanting a Windows-like feature...

1. Pressing "Windows" key opens Desktop Menu
2. Pressing letter opens appropriate submenu
... if 2 or more submenus start with the same letter, then gonext

SportsGeek

Please keep Geany- don't replace it with NicoEdit.

#202 Post by SportsGeek »

I see in the release notes for Puppy 4.3
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/release-4.3.htm
that you plan to drop Geany in favor of NicoEdit.

I'd like to strongly request that you do not make this change
1. Geany can open multiple files, and keep them in Tabs; NicoEdit not
2. Geany code-collapse feature ; NicoEdit not

I suspect there are more differences as well.

SportsGeek

Hibernation

#203 Post by SportsGeek »

Add Hibernation feature. Make it a configuration option. Allow it to apply to "Shutdown" menu, close laptop lid, time-based, etc.

(I Googled, and see that it can be done, but it's a little too much for me to do by keystroke entry.)

hexdef101

#204 Post by hexdef101 »

I know that I am stuck on this, but maybe an official Gnome package. As well as official packages of other WM's. I know there is .sfs of Gnome,KDE,Enlightenment, as well as others, but official releases would be nice.

Gurglin

SVideo Out for PCs with trident cyberblade video card

#205 Post by Gurglin »

Hi,

I already wrote this somewhere else in the forum but here it is possibly the best place for such a request.

Is there any chance for making Puppy compliant with PCs having trident cyberblade video cards, for using an SVideo Out without workarounds?

Thanks

mistfire

Disk image Mounter on Puppy

#206 Post by mistfire »

I think it is better to include a GUI version of Disk image mounter on Puppy. If they did mounting the disk image is very easy instead of typing a command to mount the disk image.

Pizzasgood

#207 Post by Pizzasgood »

For ext2, ext3, and squashfs filesystem images, if they are named with the right extension (.2fs, .3fs, .sfs) you can simply click them and Puppy will mount them for you. I don't know if Puppy can already handle filesystem images that don't have an extension. If it doesn't, it could be made to do so.

Other filesystem types still need to be done by hand unless Puppy has added support for more since the last time I checked (maybe it has ext4 and .4fs support now, I don't know).

Sometime in the next couple weeks I'm going to dig out the script that does all this and give it any upgrades I think would be nice. I've been using my own distro for several months now (building it as I go) and that's one of the features from Puppy that I miss.

For that matter, I believe current Puppies can't handle mounting encrypted save-files when clicked on. I already patched the script once last year to add support for that, and I think it might have made it into 4.2, I can't remember. Regardless, it isn't there now. I'll do that again when I work on it as well.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

gtarantino

Suggestion: a package with comix

#208 Post by gtarantino »

I love to read comics, which are mostly cbr files and I couldn't run comix properly on puppy 5.01.
That would be a great improvement for me.
Thanks.

Dean

#209 Post by Dean »

Better support for dialup modems.

willem1940NLD

#211 Post by willem1940NLD »

Present Menu List in facilities like "open with"; same in browsers (for media players etc.).

Same in (pet) "Startmount", programs tab.

Examples: I would like to have skype and pidgin always automatically starting up with Puppy.

nitrofurano

some problems after full install

#212 Post by nitrofurano »

-multiuser configuration: when doing full install, the puppylinux on hd is logged in defaultly as root, when shouldn't - also a simple tool for adding, editing and removing users is very welcome

-xdm or similar: puppylinux needs a login display, maybe gdm is too heavy for a distro like PuppyLinux, xdm (or other even lighter) would be more appropriated - optionally, an automatic login (without having to type login and password, just like on Ubuntu)

-timeout on grub: grub on PuppyLinux has no timeout, which remains ad aeternum on that grub display...

nitrofurano

#213 Post by nitrofurano »

would be great if next PuppyLinux comes with better arrangement of JWM config files:
- ~/.jwmrc only with <Include> and <StartupCommand> entry tags, calling files from '~/.jwm/' directory
- in '~/.jwm/' directory, files like 'config', 'keybindings', 'menu', 'startupitems' and 'theme'

willem1940NLD

#214 Post by willem1940NLD »

Read about "Firefly", kind of confusing name since it seems to (have) be(en) used for more than 1 program.

I mean the filebrowser addon, rather bêta, which was sometimes mentioned for firefox 3/down.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3076/

I have been hoping for quite some time that a (small) linux distro would appear built around both Firefox and VLC player (so far not really friendly with each other even).

Maybe the Puppy designers could spend some thought to it?

ragaman

#215 Post by ragaman »

I wish that the next puppy release will full Bluetooth utilities that work.

Aitch

#216 Post by Aitch »

willem1940NLD wrote:I have been hoping for quite some time that a (small) linux distro would appear built around both Firefox and VLC player (so far not really friendly with each other even).
Try this

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... %20plugins

[Doesn't work with 3.6.8]

Aitch :)

willem1940NLD

#217 Post by willem1940NLD »

Aitch wrote:
willem1940NLD wrote:I have been hoping for quite some time that a (small) linux distro would appear built around both Firefox and VLC player (so far not really friendly with each other even).
Try this

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... %20plugins

[Doesn't work with 3.6.8]

Outdated;
Not available for your platform
Not available for Firefox 3.6.6
But I already disposed of the VLC pet. Recent VLC does not work well with ALSA and older VLC are of less use.

Aitch

#218 Post by Aitch »

Prompted by this response....
steven_e007 wrote:There's a manual?!!! :shock:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 779#445779

YES!! A Manual!

http://www.puppylinux.org/main/index.ph ... nglish.htm

Big thanks to Grant/Smokey01!!

Psst....any chance of updating it from 4.1.2, smokey?

Is it possible to make this 'Puppy Manual' info available on screen where people download, or actually within a new puppy, even if only as a link....& even if the user can't get online, as they may still have access to the net elsewhere, to help them with many questions which crop up trying to get something unfamiliar sorted

Seems like a good idea....surprised it's not more well focused on/referred to

willem1940NLD

#219 Post by willem1940NLD »

"Updating" even from 501 to 510, gives (small) differences with clean install.

510 meantime has a working VLC pet.

smokey01

#220 Post by smokey01 »

Aitch wrote: YES!! A Manual!

http://www.puppylinux.org/main/index.ph ... nglish.htm

Big thanks to Grant/Smokey01!!

Psst....any chance of updating it from 4.1.2, smokey?
It's coming and based on 5.1