Ripperx 2.7.2
openbox / Lxpanel
linux-2.6.33
Blackberry modem support for Verizon.
Xine-UI 0.99.6
libxine 1.1.18.1
x11vnc
TightVNC-viewer

Xorg now auto configures itself and the default keyboard is "US" and the default timezone is gmt -5. You can change these in the setup menu. I went this direction because I had problems on intel graphics with the console being blank after the KMS modules would load, before Xorg started. The old xorgwizard is still there if you want a detailed xorg.conf, just hit ctrl - alt - backspace to exit the Xorg server and at the prompt type xorgwizard-old, and the xwin to restart Xorg.

Firefox now runs as user spot, anything you download goes into the Downloads folder on the desktop. At the first shutdown, after making your save file, you'll be asked if you want to move the Downloads folder to the same place as your save file. Most will want to answer yes to that. Lots of other small changes, grabbed Barry's latest scripts out of woof; added options to the right-click menu for the optical disk icon on the desktop so you can eject or explore a disk; fixed some bugs; added new bugs :) .

No lzma compression now, didn't want to use it for the main sfs file anyway, it would have been nice for the devx file though. You can look here for the details on that http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=90

So this is using squashfs 4.0, any old squashfs 3.1 sfs files won't work with it..

Changes since alpha2:

* Grub fixed
* Full hd install fixed
* PDF printer fixed
* Gimp crashing (hopefully) fixed
* recompiled GTK for Gimp problem.
* upgrade libxine and Xine-UI
* add Xine-UI plug-in for Firefox
* Various other small bug fixes

Changes since Alpha3:

* Firewall fixed
* Petget fixed
* DVDs play when clicked on.
* Removed the "Do you want to unmount" message when you click on a mounted partition.
* Xine now runs as user spot.

Changes since Alpha 4:

* USB printing hopefully fixed (Thanks Jamesbond).
* Firefox upgraded to 3.6.2.
* Kernel 2.6.33.1.
* AUFS enabled for NFS.
* Save file switched from ext2 to ext3.
* NFS file sharing app added.
* Many other small bugs fixes.

Changes since Beta 1:

* Fixed rxvt screen color.
* Move Nouveau stuff to a pet package.
* Update kernel to 2.6.32.2.
* Update Firefox to 3.6.3.
* Grabed Barry's updated rc.shutdown and init scripts out of quirky 018 and merge the changes.
* Add dvb-apps from linuxtv.
* Apply jamesbond's openbox menu fix.
* Update home web page with new links.
* Point the Puppy Package Manager to Fatdog's repo.
* Recompile SDL libs.
* Update to xf86-input-synaptics-1.2.2
* Update to xf86-video-intel-2.11.0
* Update to xf86-video-nv-2.1.17
* Update Vala to 0.8.x svn.
* Add Vala-IDE to devx.

Changes since Beta 2:

* Added pppoe.
* Fixed package manager.
* Fixed xwin, xorgwizard not ran every boot.
* Fixed Ayttm.
* Upgrade xf86-video-ati to 6.13.0.
* Recompiled dialog and fixed terminfo.
* Fixed multi-session install.
* Fixed USB install. (syslinux and mtools)
* Added some extra options to the boot help.msg.
* Fixed time setting in rc.country.
* Fixed the noram option in the initrd.gz.
* Upgrade JWM to 490 (JWM still not recommended).
* Replaced grub with a static version, removed the 32bit libraries required for grub.

Many thanks to jamesbond for all the bug fixes!

I've uploaded the iso, devx, sources and all extra packages built with T2 here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ns/fatdog/

or

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... ns/fatdog/

The T2-packs folder contains all kinds of stuff I haven't test yet, like qt3, qt4, mysql, openldap. Everything the T2 build produced.

If you want to try the NFS file sharing thing here's some info:

* In the File Sharing folder click the green Start File-Sharing button on both computers connected to the network, the button should change to a red Stop File-Sharing.
* Wait a bit for things to settle and then click the blue Scan Network button. After about 20 seconds a new Icon should appear named Shared-on-x. If it doesn't try again.
* If you click on the new icon the remote computer's shared folder will be mounted on a folder in the mnt directory you'll see in the File Sharing folder.
* Make sure you unmount the shared folder by right clicking on the mount point that's in the mnt folder before you disconnect from the network or turn off the other computer. If you don't I/O will probably hang and you'll have to reboot.
* The default shared folder is My-Shared-Folder, you can change this and other things by clicking on the Configure button.
* This is intended for trusted internal networks with addresses of 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x.

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

Fatdog64 beta3, frugal installation on this system: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One

Setup perfectly except for sound. Setup for sound appears to work, however, no sound. Same result from alsaconf at prompt. The problem may be alsamixer since it will not operate from the menu and no speaker icon is present.

Had the same audio problem with Beta 1. Also with Beta 1, when trying a usb flash drive installation, it deleted the partition. I see that you have a fix for the usb install so I'll give that another try.

Other than above, everything seems to be fast and stable,

Kudos,
Jim :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Setup perfectly except for sound
Sound had to be set manually by me too.

I was able to load jpgs into mtpaint (on initial boot)
BUT on saving and restarting (running from DVD)
my internet connection is lost (as in Beta 2)
jpegs no longer recognized by mtpaint (they were on first boot)

Switching to JWM I am soon left with a menu of only two items from the bottom left menu button (help and shutdown)
The file system seems all over the place and I wonder if I should have used ext 3 instead of ext 2
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Jim1911

#4 Post by Jim1911 »

Lobster wrote:Sound had to be set manually by me too.
How did you accomplish this?

Additional problems:

1. Nvidia-195.36.15-amd64.pet failed to install.

2. Bottom tray bar erratic, it may or may not show, restartX restores it.

Thanks,
Jim

kirk

#5 Post by kirk »

Lobster wrote:
Sound had to be set manually by me too.
How did you accomplish this?
Probably with the Multiple Sound Card Wizard, some times the pc speaker gets set as the default sound card. But with Alsa mixer not working, could be a unsupported card. Hopefully I didn't brake jamesbond's Nvidia package when I removed the 32bit libs that where there for Grub.

BUT on saving and restarting (running from DVD)
my internet connection is lost (as in Beta 2)
jpegs no longer recognized by mtpaint (they were on first boot)
Have you tried Wary-020? I'm using the net-setup.sh and wag-profiles that shinobar posted. Barry's using it in Wary.

Mtpaint opens jpegs for me, don't know.
Switching to JWM I am soon left with a menu of only two items from the bottom left menu button
Try running fixmenus and restarting jwm. I don't recommend JWM at this point, I don't use it and have did little testing.
when trying a usb flash drive installation, it deleted the partition

I've had the puppy installer do something like that when running 4.2. I don't install to a flash drive if it has something on it I need.

Jim1911

#6 Post by Jim1911 »

Realtek ALC1200 Audio is supported by all other Pups that I've tried.

Thanks,
Jim

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

kirk wrote: . . . Probably with the Multiple Sound Card Wizard
Exactly so
Normally in Puppy the sound card is recognized
I had to run the wizard and choose the next in the list
So it was very easy :)
Have you tried Wary-020? I'm using the net-setup.sh and wag-profiles that shinobar posted. Barry's using it in Wary.
No not yet.
Mtpaint opens jpegs for me, don't know.
m m m . . . it is possible I have 'bits' from other FD64
- only other thing I can think of

It is almost as if I have a good fat dog on first run (pfix=ram)
then I save and it falls apart . . .
Try running fixmenus and restarting jwm. I don't recommend JWM at this point, I don't use it and have did little testing.
To be honest I switched to see if it was working when I got anomalies
The new Window manager is great

Listen,
Kino works very well and I wanted to use that
this is when I ran into difficulties - a very practical test

I want to use FD64
and managed to use beta1 for about a week
So it is going in the right direction of usability and ease and speed etc 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Jim1911

#8 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:Probably with the Multiple Sound Card Wizard, some times the pc speaker gets set as the default sound card. But with Alsa mixer not working, could be a unsupported card. Hopefully I didn't brake jamesbond's Nvidia package when I removed the 32bit libs that where there for Grub.
This may be the problem, Hardware info shows 2 Audio Adapters under Multimedia, HDA-Intel - HDA Intel, and PC-speaker - pcsp. Alsa appears to be installing the same driver that other pups are installing for the Realtek ALC1200 Audio card. However, as I indicated before, alsa mixer doesn't appear to be working and there is no speaker symbol in the tray.

Which files should I check?

Thanks,
Jim

oui

#9 Post by oui »

Hi Kirk

I am downloading now the new build 3. But without conviction as build 2 did already work perfectly on my laptop excepted Ayttm but as I also don't have skype in Fatdog64, I can't use it really but only test it from time to time, because nobody can reach me on skype... The use from Skype was early encouraged in Puppy Linux as all the rest of the Linux world was fixed to better use ekiga... I find the decision from Barry best to include Skype in the early depositories from puppy linux. But a lot of old Puppy linux users are now also users of skype and not of ekiga etc...

I see a Mplayer pet. Hm! Why not Xine as usual in Puppy Linux...

Same thing with Firefox + Sylphed... Barry did all the time protect his lovely Seamonkey (against agressors willing better Opera :lol: ). We all did adapt our kind of management of our emails to that situation, and now we miss Seamonkey in the new versions of Puppy

Miss is not the right word... You did give us a pet package for Seamonkey and I thank you for it. But Firefox + Sylpheed are hungry and consum the ram will would better give our usual old friend Seamonkey...

So I would find better give us 2 variants of Fatdog: the one traditional with Seamonkey and the new one as you prefer...

A short remark more concerning Firefox:

for people working very often with
- pictures
- drawings
- cartographie (google maps, open street maps)

the only one possible browser is

seamonkey

because only in seamonkey you can turn all the bars off and have a maximal room for the important application your are working for in the browser :wink:

The best environment for grafic applications is and stay the JWM windows manager without apparent bar but the left dynamic bar as in Turbopup + Seamonkey or Iceape (I use it in Debian SID and reproduce there about exactly the Turbopup environment :D with exception that I use better zim as didiwiki as zim as really more power: you don't need to use the edit mode at all in zim. The pages are pretty and the result are text pages directly in you ~HOME, not hidden in a non evident place of the system where you forget it, if you actualize the system and lose so a lot of important work... see Slitaz Linux if you want to try it and compare both!):

you dispose of all the screen for the most important: the graphic application itself!

salut

oui

#10 Post by oui »

Hi

The download is finished and the new release installed (frugal in the freeDOS partition)

All seems to be ok.

The audio setup was immediately ok. Only needed to check the alsa-mixer.

The difficult French TV videos (Microsoft devout :roll: ) did also work immediately including audio. Youtube works.

All seems to be perfect on my acer laptop AMD64 2 GB RAM.

Thank you Kirk!

salut

kirk

#11 Post by kirk »

This may be the problem, Hardware info shows 2 Audio Adapters under Multimedia, HDA-Intel - HDA Intel, and PC-speaker - pcsp. Alsa appears to be installing the same driver that other pups are installing for the Realtek ALC1200 Audio card. However, as I indicated before, alsa mixer doesn't appear to be working and there is no speaker symbol in the tray.

Which files should I check?
That might depend on how your speakers are connected, for my system the multiple sound card wizard shows:

card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC887 Analog [ALC887 Analog]
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC887 Digital [ALC887 Digital]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
card 2: pcsp [pcsp], device 0: pcspeaker [pcsp]

If I'm using the analog outputs then the first choice is the one to use. If I'm using HDMI then the third choice is it. (Note that your video driver must also support HDMI audio for this option e.g. radeonhd)

After you choose a card use the alsamixer and make sure it's not muted. (the m key mutes and unmutes)

oui

#12 Post by oui »

Hi Kirk

Something works wrong in ayttm. it forget the new accounts in
Y! and MSN

I suppose it is only good for irc but Seamonkey also offers irc, so ayttm has no real job to do. Only if you use Firefox+Sylpheed+ayttm ,
but, hm. And you have no HTML wysyg editor...

Salut

Fishy

No Sound

#13 Post by Fishy »

Installed Beta3 - no sound (integrated sound). Tried using multiple card wizard - didn't help. During the initial attempt alsamixer disappeared from menu - fix menu didn't return it. Multiple card wizard on second try showed a blank form, no cards listed and the volume symbol disappeared of the bottom panel. Alsamixer was not muted on initial inspection

Deleted save file and rebooted with same results. I haven't had a sound recognition issue with any other Puppy.

Asus M4A78T-E mother board, Phenom 2 dual core, 4 gig DDR3
VIA *VT1708S on-board sound and ATI HD 3300 integrated graphics.

How do I change resolution as xorgwizard is not functional? :?

Other than above fatty seems to be very fast and reliable. :D Puppy package manager had no repositories on initial use.

Will continue to screw it up and have fun, thanks for all the hard work! :wink:

jamesbond

#14 Post by jamesbond »

Back from travel. I haven't downloaded beta3 - once I've downloaded it and the devx I will look into the nvidia pet problem. Can you tell me in more details what does "not working" means? (ie=blank screen or what?).

The "sound card not recognised" problem is because pcsp driver takes the first soundslot, making it the *default* sound driver. To disable this permanently, in modprobe.conf - put

Code: Select all

options snd-pcsp index=-1
. EDIT: Of course if you have more than one soundcard (eg usb midi card) or if your internal card acts as if it's more than one (like kirk's HDMI output) then you still need to use the Multiple Sound Card wizard ...
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Jim1911

#15 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:Back from travel. I haven't downloaded beta3 - once I've downloaded it and the devx I will look into the nvidia pet problem. Can you tell me in more details what does "not working" means? (ie=blank screen or what?).

The "sound card not recognised" problem is because pcsp driver takes the first soundslot, making it the *default* sound driver. To disable this permanently, in modprobe.conf - put

. EDIT: Of course if you have more than one soundcard (eg usb midi card) or if your internal card acts as if it's more than one (like kirk's HDMI output) then you still need to use the Multiple Sound Card wizard ...
Tried this but it didn't work. In fact, for some reason "options snd-pcsp index=-1" was deleted when alsa was run. Should I just modify the existing line 137 "options sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330" or is there another default file that needs to be changed? However, I believe that the problem is more related to alsa mixer not working. It appears in the menu, but won't run. In a console I get # alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory#.

Thanks,
Jim

Fishy

No Sound

#16 Post by Fishy »

Hi James or should I say 007? I inserted "options snd-pcsp index=-1" in modprobe.conf and it didn't make any difference. The error message when trying the wizard flashes by before being able to be read.

Do the the entries in multiple card wizard disappear because I made a selection in the sound wizard? Is the disappearance of the bottom panel when doing this have anything to do with it or is just something to confuse the hell out of me? :lol:

If you need more detailed information please send explicit directions as to how to collect, willing to but incompetent. :D

John

kirk

#17 Post by kirk »

How do I change resolution as xorgwizard is not functional?
The old xorgwizard is still there, it's been renamed xorgwizard-old.
Code:
I was thinking about just dumping the module. Does anyone really need a pc-speaker driver?
However, I believe that the problem is more related to alsa mixer not working. It appears in the menu, but won't run. In a console I get # alsamixer
If you haven't already tried, make a new save file. Then you can also try deleting /lib/modules/2.6.32.2/kernel/sound/drivers/pcsp/* and rebooting.
Do the the entries in multiple card wizard disappear because I made a selection in the sound wizard?
Probably, I'll probably remove that from the menu. Fishy, the easiest thing to do is make a new save file and start over. Try what I told Jim to do above.

I've changed the menu a bit. When I connected to my TV with HDMI, ctrl-alt-backspace wouldn't kill X. So I added a menu option to do that. Also added a script to run fixmenus before switching to JWM. I downloaded the git version of the radeonhd driver and compiled it.

Jim1911

#18 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:Quote:
However, I believe that the problem is more related to alsa mixer not working. It appears in the menu, but won't run. In a console I get # alsamixer

If you haven't already tried, make a new save file. Then you can also try deleting /lib/modules/2.6.32.2/kernel/sound/drivers/pcsp/* and rebooting.
Sorry, no change. How do I check alsamixer?
Thanks,
Jim

Fishy

No sound

#19 Post by Fishy »

Wizard in 4.3.2 recognizes:

HDA-intel 1002:4383
HDA-intel 1002:960F
Legacy
USB
Apple

Wizard in Fatdog recognizes:
HDA-intel ATI Technologies INC SBx00 Azalia (intel HDA)
HDA-intel ATI Technologies INC Azalia RS780 Azalia controller
Legacy
USB audio
Apple

Different version of alsa other than being compiled for 64bit??

Same system using integrated sound - ASUS M4A78T-E VIA*VT1708S codec and yes the bottom panel disappears ever time the Alsa sound wizard is used.

I have tried all suggested options, deleting save file after each failure. If Xorg Video Wizard doesn't function should it still be in menu? :?

jamesbond

#20 Post by jamesbond »

For Fishy, Jim1911 and others with nvidia problem:
I just booted off beta3, running in RAM (ie no save file yet). Then, I clicked the nvidia.pet (I have a local copy already). Then I restarted X. Everything worked to that point - I checked the content of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to confirm that indeed nvidia driver is being used. From there, if you want to change the resolution, you can use NVIDIA Server Settings from the Setup menu. If you want to make the changes permanent, click "save to X configuration file".

I'm going to reboot and create a save file now. Will see if nvidia still works (will edit this post after reboot). Note: the NVIDIA driver requires 81MB after installation, so make sure your save file is big enough.

EDIT: nvidia driver still works after reboot to savefile. Can you please gzip the content of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

gzip -c /var/log/Xorg.0.log > test.gz 
and attach it here?

For the sound problem, can you please post the contents of:
/proc/asound/modules
/proc/asound/cards
/proc/asound/devices
/proc/asound/pcm

We'll try to work it out from there. For me, alsamixer works (ie the executable is there). I will reboot and create a savefile and see if it is still there.

EDIT: after reboot alsamixer is still there. If alsamixer binary is not there, perhaps it's a bad download. Have you checked the md5sum of the downloaded iso?

Lobster, I can open and save JPG no problem, before and after restart ... so could be incompatibility with old copy. Can you post what do you get if you do losetup-FULL -a?

kirk, will removing the snd-pcsp modules makes the terminal silent? :D Not that I mind though ...
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]