Lucid Puppy Usability

This is where you post about usability issues (not bugs) in pre-release versions of Puppy 5.x (alphas, betas, rcs). Usability issues are things like poor contrast in the themes, non-ergonomic button layouts, unintuitive application behavior, etc.
chrismt

Lucid Puppy Usability

#1 Post by chrismt »

I recently installed Lucid Puppy on my PC

I found these things as problematic

I am unsure if this is the place to post this

But, I am continuing

:arrow: I though about updating the Puppy Package Manager. Therefore I ticked all the repositories and clicked UPDATE

After downloading, I see a very long process called download database

It took about 1 hour to update

I would appreciate if it took lesser time

:arrow: I am not sure if you removed this feature but I don't see the Floppy icon on the desktop

:arrow: I would appreciate if you add Pidgin or other multi chat client in QuickPet

Regards

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Chris don't get angry on me now.

We are all different but you sure surprise me.

Update everything in the package? Lucid Puppy is so new that it is a kind of pre alpha or something so there is nothing to update.

But sure I can be wrong. I am lousy at computers so maybe I just don't get what you wanted to accomplish by updating everything.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

chrismt

#3 Post by chrismt »

nooby wrote:Chris don't get angry on me now.

We are all different but you sure surprise me.

Update everything in the package? Lucid Puppy is so new that it is a kind of pre alpha or something so there is nothing to update.

But sure I can be wrong. I am lousy at computers so maybe I just don't get what you wanted to accomplish by updating everything.

nooby,

Everybody in this forum sure surprise me. :roll:

This is the way I talk normally

I was talking about updating repositories like ubuntu-lucid-main and ubuntu multiverse

It took about an hour to finish the update because it was converting the deb aspect into Pet readable format

Some users with old PC got 4 hours

:arrow:

I would also appreciate if it was easier way to uninstall multiple programs by ticking those I want to uninstall and click ok

Because the current system of doing double clicks for every program and clicking ok takes a pretty lot of times if you have many dependencies...

Regards

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

I trust you are right then.

It is me who are naive and non-experienced.

I thought that those programs or apps that was included always used the latest version and not used older versions.

But it is logical as you describe it. Dpup and Upup and Lucid Lupu are always built on the version that Debian and Ubuntu have released and not on the latest version of the programs.

I trust you on this because that was what did happen to me installing a puppy derivative to my neighbors computer and realized that it had FireFox 3.5.5? instead of what I expected the 3.6.3 that is the recommended version. So that is likely what would happen if I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04? or whatever. They don't have latest program them either?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though