Quirky 018 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
rcrsn51

#241 Post by rcrsn51 »

Or go into Edit > Preferences > Content and try a different Default Font.

nooby

#242 Post by nooby »

thanks upnorth , ah so that was about that error. I had no idea. Have read about it many times but did not know what it referred to. Thanks I am in no hurry to repair it.

I use latest Firefox 3.6.3
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

shinobar

Which grub?

#243 Post by shinobar »

rjbrewer wrote:The greatest thing about Puppy when I first started using it,
was the way a full install would automatically install Grub to a drive.
Yes the old puppies automatically installed legacy grub.
But NOT with the frugal install.
'Grub4Dos config' on new quirky automatically installs Grub4Dos both for full and frugal install.

Legacy grub requires linux partitions(ext2/3 and etc.) and cannot apply on PC's with only windows partitions(ntfs or fat) unless reforming the drive.

Think Grub4Dos is universal and for most of fork including begginers.
Legacy grub is for some fork who insist on the antique way of linuxes.
Don't be afraid. As JustGreg already said, Grub4Dos is upper compatible with legacy grub and can read the menu.lst of legacy grub.

Tell me what case legacy grub can do and Grub4Dos cannot, or what is the problem?

Only one case Grub4Dos makes a trouble is the case the first partition is ext4. It supports ext4 in general but for the first partition. One of the solution is to make a small partition which is formated with etx2 or ext3 (ntfs/vfat also ok).

tlchost

#244 Post by tlchost »

Sage wrote:Many folks will thank JustGreg for his download. Unfortunately, it doesn't address the issues I raised unless his instructions include plans for a time machine!
Perhaps it would be best to simply not venture into the land of oozing edge stuff.

431 seemed to work, but apparently it too was an unfinished work, since there was activity to release an official 432 version....but that's not yet completed.

The key might be to find a version that gives most of what you want with the minimal amount of stuff that's missing and/or broken.

Thom
Lowered expectations may lead to lower frustration

rjbrewer

Re: Which grub?

#245 Post by rjbrewer »

shinobar wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:The greatest thing about Puppy when I first started using it,
was the way a full install would automatically install Grub to a drive.
Yes the old puppies automatically installed legacy grub.
But NOT with the frugal install.
'Grub4Dos config' on new quirky automatically installs Grub4Dos both for full and frugal install.

Legacy grub requires linux partitions(ext2/3 and etc.) and cannot apply on PC's with only windows partitions(ntfs or fat) unless reforming the drive.

Think Grub4Dos is universal and for most of fork including begginers.
Legacy grub is for some fork who insist on the antique way of linuxes.
Don't be afraid. As JustGreg already said, Grub4Dos is upper compatible with legacy grub and can read the menu.lst of legacy grub.

Tell me what case legacy grub can do and Grub4Dos cannot, or what is the problem?

Only one case Grub4Dos makes a trouble is the case the first partition is ext4. It supports ext4 in general but for the first partition. One of the solution is to make a small partition which is formated with etx2 or ext3 (ntfs/vfat also ok).

"Don't be afraid" ??
What the hell does "fear" have to do with it?

"There's nothing to fear but fear itself"'
.............(and spiders) :) (and possibly Grub2)

Legacy Grub is not "Antique"!!
Even Lilo would just be considered "Classic".

I've always used Grub on its' own partition since starting with
Linux; and I'm not opposed to Grub4dos; I've used both.

Just want the option of choosing.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

4-stroke

#246 Post by 4-stroke »

I'd better post this here too.
Since quirky 008 my rt73usb refused to make any connection with my WPA2 network. I installed arch and had the same problems, but on the arch forums someone posted a fix that solved it. Tried it with quirky 018 yesterday and it worked.
Just enter:

Code: Select all

iwconfig wlan0 power off 
in a console before attempting to connect. Replace wlan0 with whatever your card is.

When launched from the menu, the terminal starts up in /usr/share/fbpanel/images