Installing Puppy 1.02Mozilla and Puppy 1.03Opera on Thinkpad

Booting, installing, newbie
arne

Installing Puppy 1.02Mozilla and Puppy 1.03Opera on Thinkpad

#1 Post by arne »

Hello Guys, :D
My notebook with 3,8 Mb harddisk is dedicated to Linux with Mandriva 10.1 official up and running. / 2.2 GB, Swap 256 Mb, Home 1.3Gb partition.

This distribution is to heavy for my old Thinkpad, incedible slow as you can imagine. In addition I could not make my Windmodem (Mwave(tm) 3780i DSP) and my printer Canon S820 work

Installing 1.02 opera (boot 2) stops with the following message:
<0> Kernel panic -not syncing: Attempt to kill init.
Can it be a bad download/ISO burn? Any tip or help will be appreciated.

Installing 1.03 Mozilla (boot 2) goes better but I am told it cannot put pup001 on "/" and the screen show untrue colors (yellow and green only)and text are hardly readable. My normal option which work fine in Mandriva 10.1 is 1024x768 16bpp. which one of the options shown on the Puppy screen. I have also tried several of the other options on the Puppy screen but the same result.

On the menu which is green I cannot read to find the Bash terminal. If somebody could tell how I can access the terminal from the desktop and give me the commands needed to setup the monitor I will be happy.

Secondly why cant puppy write to the harddisk? Should I have used the "Boot 1" install option?

I have been trying Puppy 2 month ago then totally newbie now I now a little bit more but still very much a newbie and therefore please be clear (step-by-step).

Congratulation with the type of forum, much better than before.
Please help me.

I have tried 1.01Mozilla some weeks ago with same results. :wink:
Arne with:
IBM Thinkpad 600 Pentium II 266MHZ 128mbRam, Winmodem Mwave (ACP) modem, Logitech optical 3 button + wheel, NeoMagic 128XD TFT 13,3 inch 1024x768 16bpp.
Desktop XP Pro sp2 Internet connection

#2 Post by Guest »

It wont work with the neomagic card, no way.

http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy

download the fb.iso and the readme.txt

read the readme.txt prior to booting or burning

option 6 is the default option 7 is no save to hd

arne

#3 Post by arne »

Hello Bladehunter,
Actually I dont know if the monitor is NeoMagic but this option in Mandriva 10.1 works perfect. In Puppy 1.01 the monotor did work fine in combination with Win 98SE on this Thinkpad 2 months ago.

Secondly the website you refer to is not available. Is it the right address? Google cannot find the site.

Any tip
Thanks
Arne with:
IBM Thinkpad 600 Pentium II 266MHZ 128mbRam, Winmodem Mwave (ACP) modem, Logitech optical 3 button + wheel, NeoMagic 128XD TFT 13,3 inch 1024x768 16bpp.

#4 Post by Guest »

mmmm I dunno maybe the server is down....No google or any other search engine wont find it, I haven't bothered to register it with a search engine yet.

Yep the address is right.....trust me :wink:

edit:

Just tried it 2 minutes after making this post....works fine.

Anyways the 'neomagic' is the graphics chipset not the monitor. I have a neomagic chipset on my Dell Latitude Cpi PII-300Mhz and had the same problems.If you can wait another 24 hours I'll be putting up a version with a cutdown Xfree86 4.4.0 xserver which is alot quicker than the framebuffer one I cobbled up.

arne

#5 Post by arne »

Bladehunter you are a prinz.

Shure I can wait, thanks a lot. :P
Arne with:

arne

#6 Post by arne »

Bladehunter,
Thanks for the new version. As far as I can see this distro is without a GUI. So this is another alternative. I am quite new to Linux and so far Mandriva and GUI Puppy is more than I can handle since I cannot get the modems or the printer to work for me. My first priority is to learn to use linux commands and bash consoll.

The following is not logical:
1. Two months ago I was able use the Puppy 1.01Mozilla to show up on the screen perfect in 1024x768 16bit. At the time win98SE was on this box.
2. One month later I was able to install and use mdk 10.1 after I decided to take out win, reformat the drive and install mdk 10.1. I installed the same puppy but puppy can not give me a screen with the same colors and readable text.
3. mdk can give me a perfect screen all the time (6 install) with Neomagic 128xd chip in 1024x768 16bpp. on my thinkpad.

Can anybody explain this and help me to get forward?
Arne with:

Allan

#7 Post by Allan »

You must type xwin to start the gui interface after booting
Did you try that?
the quote is from this thread:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

good luck

Janes

#8 Post by Janes »

Great effort bladehunter!!

I just discovered puppy and fell in love immediately, but unfortunately found out it won't work on the first run with my old thinkpad 600 with neomagic.

About the files on server.. what is the difference with these two files without of 3Mb of size?

cd-puppy-1.0.3-athros-fb.iso
and
cd-puppy-XFree86-4.4.0-atheros.iso?

Doesn't the former, fb.iso use xfree as well?

Thanks again and much of luck,
Janes

arne

#9 Post by arne »

Hello bladehunter,
When I finally saw the command to trigger the graphical environment, I entered into a beutiful graphical desktop and my notebook monitor work flawlessly.

And my good it is fast as well.

You have helped me a lot and I am sure many others as well.
Thanks a lot and keep up the god work.
Arne with: