How to write in Bulgarian and easy switch to US (RESOLVED)

For efforts in internationalising Puppy and solving problems in this area
tometo

How to write in Bulgarian and easy switch to US (RESOLVED)

#1 Post by tometo »

Dear friends,

I'm looking for some help make my keyboard write in Bulgarian. I already translated the menu in Bulgarian (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7165), localized Abiword, Firefox... I tryed many methods like changing xorg.conf file, installing all the UTF8 pupgets, looking for information from all kinds of Puppy and Linux forums and... nothing for now... :(

Please, if you can give me some advice...

Maybe I should try to install KDE... I don't know...
Last edited by tometo on Sat 06 Jan 2007, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

From your Menu-screenshot I saw, that you use kyrillic chars?

In leafpad, right-click -> input methods -> kyrillic

Does that work maybe?

Screenshot:

Mark

Dougal

#3 Post by Dougal »

Have you tried changing the keyboard layout?
If you use Xorg, you can have more than one layout and switch between them with some key-combination. (if you're using Puppy 2.13 you should find my Xkb configuration utility in the "keyboard" part of the Xorgwizard. For older versions you'll have to search the forum for a dotpup I made).

However, this might not be enough. If MU's solution doesn't work, you might need to add fonts.

I tried changing my locale to en_US.utf8 and switched my keyboard to type in Hebrew -- using the Bitstream-Vera unicode fonts -- and it didn't work.
Only after installing special Hebrew fonts could I manage to type in Hebrew -- so maybe you need to add special Cyrillic fonts.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

New Puppy Fan

Re: How to write in Bulgarian and easy switch to US

#4 Post by New Puppy Fan »

tometo wrote:Dear friends,

I'm looking for some help make my keyboard write in Bulgarian. I already translated the menu in Bulgarian (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7165), localized Abiword, Firefox... I tryed many methods like changing xorg.conf file, installing all the UTF8 pupgets, looking for information from all kinds of Puppy and Linux forums and... nothing for now... :(

Run Mouse/Keyboard Setup Wizard, go to Advanced Xorg keyboard, go to configuration Layouts, select Bulgarian (bg), confirm OK. Then go to Options Settings, select Group Shift/Lock behaviour, choose which keys you want to switch your layouts (for example: grp:ctrl_shift_toggle), confirm OK. Then go to Use keyboard LED to show alternative group, choose ¨grp_led:scroll (for example). Confirm Yes and OK and you are done. Now you can try to press ctrl+shift keys to activate your layout. Alternatively, you can try Cyrillic using Russian language (RU). I did all that in Puppy 2.13. It works just fine: "Желаю у

tometo

#5 Post by tometo »

[quote="New Puppy Fan"]
Run Mouse/Keyboard Setup Wizard, go to Advanced Xorg keyboard, go to configuration Layouts, select Bulgarian (bg), confirm OK. Then go to Options Settings, select Group Shift/Lock behaviour, choose which keys you want to switch your layouts (for example: grp:ctrl_shift_toggle), confirm OK. Then go to Use keyboard LED to show alternative group, choose ¨grp_led:scroll (for example). Confirm Yes and OK and you are done. Now you can try to press ctrl+shift keys to activate your layout. Alternatively, you can try Cyrillic using Russian language (RU). I did all that in Puppy 2.13. It works just fine: "Желаю у

barbaros_akkurt

not working on my case

#6 Post by barbaros_akkurt »

Dear sirs,

I am happy that the Bulgarian friend has get his problem to be solved, but it still persists for me. The problem is that I cannot get past the "gtkdialog", I mean, the button next to "Advanced Xorg keyboard configuration" does not work.

What should I have to do? Shall I install some packages to improve my standard 4.3.1 version (I only burned the 4.3.1 iso package to a CD)?

Second problem involves the first one (selecting alternate variant like Turkish Q and Turkish F) and if I can help from you about this, the second will be fairly easy to solve.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

BA

barbaros_akkurt

SOLVED

#7 Post by barbaros_akkurt »

drspastic

#8 Post by drspastic »

hi i posted this in another forum, so i wont do it again. here's the link.

xfirebg

#9 Post by xfirebg »

New Puppy Fan wrote:
tometo wrote:Dear friends,