Installing Microsoft True Type Core Fonts in Puppy...?

Booting, installing, newbie
babaguy

Installing Microsoft True Type Core Fonts in Puppy...?

#1 Post by babaguy »

I'd like to install the MS TT Core Fonts to my shiny new Retro-Pup (for use in Abiword), but after scouring the web and this forum for more than a couple of hours I'm none the wiser, I'm sorry to admit...The Abiword page links seem to be broken or otherwise unavailable...I may post this to Abiword too - Will notify the forum if I do and if the response is helpful.)
There does not seem to be a facility to do this in PetGet - as extra fonts are not part of the Puppy repositories, as far as I can see (up 'til now...) -
I opened the Rox Filer thing, but just get a set of thumbnails with no readily apparent way of "Opening a Rox Filer Window"...
There *is* a file known as " /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts " into which I think I could probably place the MS TT Core Fonts - but is there a command line that I can write in a terminal to go and get these fonts?
ALSO - I'm not sure of the correct protocol in Puppy *for* writing commands - In Ubuntu you can use 'sudo' and you can use the APT program to grab a program and install it, but what's the proper way to do this in Puppy? (I presume I am 'root'...? What is the way to let the machine know I *am* invoking this command as the Big Kahuna of these parts...?)
Sorry if all this has been patiently explained before, and ALL help will be much appreciated - Thanks in advance !

walter90

#2 Post by walter90 »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 671#167671

Try this .pet. I think it's what you're looking for. I use wine so I used something different, don't remember what right now, and then just copied them into my TTF's folder.

linuxsansdisquedur

#3 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

i use pizzapup (with real puppy 2.14 inside) i just copy ttf font i want in /usr/share/fonts/default/ttf and it run fine with abiword... 8)
dunno your puppy but something like it gotta run (i hope) 8)
le max avec le min

Sit Heel Speak

Microsoft Core Web Fonts

#4 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Microsoft released the Core Web Fonts to the public domain back around 1994, they are free to use as you see fit.

I posted them here awhile back, in this now-obsolete thread. If my .pet package does not work in your Puppy, then you can simply untar it by opening Rox in whatever subdirectory you downloaded it to, then open a terminal window there and issue:

Code: Select all

tar -xvf microsoft-core-ttf-webfonts-0.0.1.pet
cd microsoft-core-ttf-webfonts-0.0.1/usr/share/fonts/default/TTF
and simply copy any or all of them into
/usr/share/fonts/default/TTF (or wherever your .ttf fonts are on your Puppy --use PFind Advanced and search through /usr for files named *.ttf, or use Searchmonkey).

You must restart X (or reboot) in order for xset to find and activate them.

Bligh

#5 Post by Bligh »

@ sit heel speak, Thanks, I will try that.
Cheers

babaguy

Thanks, Sir Sit-Heel-Speak...!

#6 Post by babaguy »

Hello and Thanks -
Yes, M. Sans-Disque pointed me to your previous posting, for which, many Mercis - I managed to make the .pet 2.14 link open, then I copied the link first to 'fonts' and then to /usr/share/fonts/default/ttf - and they dutifully downloaded *verbosely* one at a time in a terminal window - the download hung there for a couple of minutes in the middle, but eventually resumed and completed.
I received a message that I required 'cabextract' which I googled and found, but before I could do *that* download I had a power cut (dead battery on this old HP Omnibook XE2 laptop I recently Retro-Puppy-fied - a slight jiggle of the power cable crashed the whole thing - I will reinstall in a day or two - I've ordered a new battery for this machine and once it arrives and charges up, power cuts won't be such a recurring nuisance, and I'll be able to download & install the MS TT fonts as I was just *about* to do when I was (once again!) so rudely interrupted...!) Onward! And a big thanks again, Sit!-He'll-Speak!

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Thanks, Sir Sit-Heel-Speak...!

#7 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

babaguy wrote:... .pet 2.14 link open, then I copied the link first to 'fonts' and then to /usr/share/fonts/default/ttf - and they dutifully downloaded *verbosely* one at a time...
Hmm, I never tried that .pet in 2.14. The link is not meant to be placed anywhere, rather you click on...

***EDITED*** Aw, heck...I keep forgetting...most people scrambling from the sinking Microtanic, who have the good fortune to swim or row their way to Puppy, are in their understanding of Linux about where I was four years ago, not where I am today...

Give me a half-hour, I'll package the Microsoft Core Webfonts in a much simpler format.

(working...)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 01 May 2010, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

babaguy

Profound Thanks, Sit-Heel !

#8 Post by babaguy »

Thanks so very much, Sit-Heel-Speak - !
It makes me feel very relieved when anyone with more comprehension of Linux than I have, expresses understanding of my persistent, but gradually lifting, incomprehension of Linux generally and Puppy (now) in particular.
And this ongoing mental gloom about Linux is much worse than you might imagine...!
I dumped Windows fully two years ago, but I knew more than a *decade* ago that I wanted to switch to Linux - I bought Linux magazines for *years* and tried to wrap my mind around all the information. I struggled with (to me) incomprehensible Linux Sys Admin books - I *tried* Ubuntu & Kubuntu in 2006 and just couldn't make them do much of anything beyond surfing the web - (My LUG thoroughly "RTFM" 'd me for my dimwitted inability to understand the "FM"...~)
Finally I bought a Mac Mini a couple of years ago and it is very reliable.
But I *do* have this persistent desire to be able to USE a genuine open-source OS -
I have a big Toshiba Equium laptop on which I've installed Ubuntu and it mostly works well, but CANNOT /*WILL* NOT properly recognise WiFi...
I discovered Puppy a little over a week ago and decided it would be great on this old HP laptop which had been neglected and mouldering away around the old homestead - and it *will* be!
I love Puppy and sense that (at last) I will finally be able to pick my way though the vagaries and annoyances that are (all too often in my case) a recurrent aspect of grappling with Linux.
Thanks again, Sir Sit -
My machine is an HP Omnibook XE2, P III processor - an 18 Gig (used) ATA drive I just put in it a few days ago - the Puppy I am using is a Retro version: 4.2 - and the Kernel is 2.6.21.7
Again, to you and all the forum members, my happiness at having found such a welcoming crowd, and thanks for your unstinting and generous help.
"Real happiness lies in making others happy." - Meher Baba

cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

Sit Heel Speak :

Thanks mate.

May be an additional help here.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54705

"""""""""""

Liboicl has already done it.

" I received a message that I required 'cabextract' "

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54840

Chris.

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Profound Thanks, Sit-Heel !

#10 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

babaguy wrote:this ongoing mental gloom about Linux is much worse than you might imagine...!
Oh, I can imagine it all right...first of all, I was there, when I first joined this forum. Secondly, my own first attempt at Linux was with some ghastly excuse for a distro, by Caldera, in 1999. At this I was such a miserable failure that I avoided Linux til Fred Langa (ex-editor, Byte) recommended Puppy in his weekly email blog about two days before I joined this forum.

I have mid-80's formal training, straight-A student at ITT Tech Institute in fact, in database programming in several languages for business applications and am one of the savvier dBase/Clipper/FoxPro programmers on this planet.

I have spent the greater part of the last two years, in crafting-up a Puppy-based replacement for use by my 86-year-old mom, who has been running for five years now the largest charity clothes bank in the Puget Sound region (600 families per month served last year, 1800 this year). Doing the necessary grant application writing, statistics keeping, dealmaking in email, poster-printing et cetera et cetera on first Windows 98 and now XP, with me being her sole tech support. So believe me, I knowwwwww about the said mental fog. Fortunately, Mom still has her mental marbles astonishingly intact for 86.

(o what a joy it was to observe, last night, that she now knows how to close out an alert in ZoneAlarm...)

Anyway, here it is. In your browser click on this link:

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/af64b6a596_5.97MB

This gets you to the download page. Click the "download" link at the bottom.

When asked where to save it to, choose to save it somewhere else; the default is "/root" so click "up" (".." at the top of the left-window list, if you're using Seamonkey).

Then in the right window leftclick, in succession,

usr
fonts
TTF

and leftclick the save button.

It's 6 MB in size, so will take a minute or ten depending on your connection speed.

When it's done...

Menu --> Filesystem --> RoxFiler
up-arrow, to take you from ~ (/root) to /
leftclick usr, share, fonts, default, TTF

...and you should see the file you just downloaded, it is called
MSCoreWebfonts.tar.gz

Left-click on its icon. XArchive will open (for which you may thank ttuuxxx and Dougal). Left-click the "Extract" button (far right, 2nd top row) and choose "OK" or "Yes" to all the defaults.

When you're done, you will have the Microsoft Core Webfonts in your /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF directory, alongside the DejaVu Sans and/or Liberation .ttf fonts that come with Puppy.

There is a EULA which is required to legally have if you redistribute the core webfonts, so I have included it. Read it, to keep me out of jail. Then you can delete it. Unless you plan to redistribute the core webfonts yourself, then you'd better keep it.

Now close out XArchive (leftclick the upper-right-corner X, same as Windows), and Menu --> Shutdown --> Restart X Server

so that the X server performs the necessary xset and related commands to recognize and cache all the .ttf fonts anew.

Now you should have the MS fonts available in your browser, and with the appropriate Preferences options (under Edit in Seamonkey, Tools in Opera) can specify them as the default fonts.

Desktop --> (Desktop Settings, on some Puppies) --> GTKThemeChoooser --> Font to set them in the myriad titlebars et cetera.

For Rox desktop icons, open a Rox window, rightclick-in-whitespace, Options, and under Pinboard there is a checkbox and button to set a custom font. I'm a big fan of Arial.

Getting Open Office, GIMP et cetera to use the new fonts, is another book. If you can't figure that out by studious Googling and diligent experimentation, PM me.

HTH,
SHS
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 01 May 2010, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.

babaguy

"What a GUY!"

#11 Post by babaguy »

Thanks, Sir -
Your instructions are *CLEAR* and I'll follow them all in a few days' time.
Very glad to hear about your Mom and the work being done there - wonderful.
Your own credentials sound incredibly wide-ranging, in-depth and USEFUL.
My father, grandfather and great grandfather were all engineers and very savvy - bridge builders, makers of foundations for freeways and skyscrapers - geologists -
I - on the other hand - am an actor, director and sometime teacher (of acting)...
But at least I know the direction I *ought* to be heading - hence you find me here.
Thank you again. Will report back in due course.

Sit Heel Speak

Re: "What a GUY!"

#12 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

babaguy wrote:...Your own credentials sound incredibly wide-ranging, in-depth and USEFUL...
Heh...actually, I never did find employment in that field after that 9-month course. I've lived off my wife for most of our 33 married years. My three main sources of own income have been truck driving, floral delivery, and a few small businesses in Seattle for whom I do on-call, on-site 'puter tech support at $100 per hour. Plus I saved a modest nest egg while working as a mortgage loan officer between 2003 and 2007, and during that clover time made a few investments which today furnish me beer money.
babaguy wrote:My father, grandfather and great grandfather were all engineers and very savvy - bridge builders, makers of foundations for freeways and skyscrapers - geologists -
My dad was one of the first generation of Detroit auto-industry tool-and-die men whom Boeing "imported" from Michigan to Seattle in 1957, to start-up its computer-controlled-manufacturing-machine (they called it "NC Machinery", Numerically Controlled) department. Between 1967 and his retirement in '83 he was the senior NC programmer in all of Boeing, he had an office in every Boeing factory. In a nutshell, he was responsible for the programming of the 5-story-tall drill presses and hundred-yard-long milling machines which cut the aluminum spars, ribs, and bulkheads for every Boeing commercial aircraft. He and the programmers under him also wrote the inspection programs which check that the milling machines did their cutting correctly.

So, if you fly a 737, 747, 757, or 767, and the wings and tail stay on, you may thank Pa Speak for having done conscientious work.
babaguy wrote:I - on the other hand - am an actor, director and sometime teacher (of acting)...
I have no artistic talent nor training whatsoever, except for the usual pokerface which the white middle-class American male must nowadays muster. Plus, I have a large backyard garden, and my yard is the envy of the neighborhood. I'm growing melons and tobacco this year.

After I finish this Puppy distro I'm working on, I plan to learn the guitar. I've bought a Martin Dreadnought, Ernie Ball steel strings. Occasionally I can hit E7, or whatever that difficult chord is called. Steve Howe, look out...

babaguy

True Type Fonts Update!

#13 Post by babaguy »

Hello All !

I found this link on a terrific blog by a(nother) new member of the litter - It has tons of fonts and they all seem to be free, and True Type in their Font-liness...

http://puppylinuxnoob.blogspot.com/

(If you're reading this link in the distant future and there are myriad posts to wade through on this blog, look for "Fonts! Fonts! Fonts!" okay? )

(My HP Omnibook battery has been dispatched - from Hong Kong ! Must wait patiently before being cute with Puppy again...!)

Onward !

babaguy

SOLVED ! - Thank You, SHS !

#14 Post by babaguy »

Hello All, and esp. Sit Heel SpeaK...
I've managed to download and install the Microsoft True Type fonts - at last!
I copied your instructions onto a "Sticky Note" so I could consult them as I went through the process in a new tab in Sea Monkey- The steps were not *exactly* as you indicated them, and I assume this is because the Puppy Retro 4.2 that I'm using does not display exactly as the version you're working with. But they were *more* than "close enough for jazz." One difference was at the end, after LEFT-clicking the tarball icon and then hitting 'Extract' - they did indeed extract and set themselves into the Default TTF folder - I clicked 'Shutdown' and had to go to 'Advanced' to find 'Restart X Server' but there it was, I restarted it and opened Abiword and VOILA !
Merci again, for your kind help and encouragement! (Now on to my *other* problems and glitches...!)

Sit Heel Speak

#15 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Glad to know it worked. There are so many Puppy versions out there that giving a step-by-step always draws one or two pies to the face. On a good day they are lemon meringue :lol:

babulnath

microsoft complex fonts

#16 Post by babulnath »

I have not been successful in browsing the following link due to the lack of microsoft complex fonts in Puppy Precise.
http://mahabhulekh.maharashtra.gov.in/property.htm

Can I get a guidence to be able to install the fonts ?
Thanks.

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

Those do not have licensed for this use, can be done, but better to find the unencumbered versions all over web some are even better than Microsofts. My favorites where Apple versions ( or its clones ) including the sound effects ( yeep personal fav. and the Quack )

babaguy

#18 Post by babaguy »

Hello Babulnath!

If you look through THIS thread from a few years back, you may find what you need - but there are also plenty of free fonts available these days which work well in Puppy...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 671#167671

It's lovely for this "Babaguy" to see someone mentioning Maharashtra...!

Hope this is helpful. You will find the forum members extremely helpful here - Just keep searching and you'll be rewarded!

- Babaguy . . . [/url]

babulnath

microsoft complex fonts

#19 Post by babulnath »

Thanks Babaguy.
I am happy to note the interest in Maharashtra.
Did you however actually go to the sight and saw the output ?
I have tried many things but it does not work.
Babulnath

neerajkolte

#20 Post by neerajkolte »

I have devnagari fonts (like Akshar.ttf etc.) installed in my fatdog64, I am surprised to see that I can't see that website.
Previously I have only accessed that site from my work computer.

What does microsoft complex fonts has to do with Hindi or Marathi language?
The site says about installing complex scripts for indic support when I click on Pune.
I will search more on Google.

I am from Maharastra, Working in Pune, but my home town is in Buldana, and all my child hood was in Nagpur.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.