How can I write Java apps in Puppy?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
KusaNoKaito

How can I write Java apps in Puppy?

#1 Post by KusaNoKaito »

I know puppy was designed to be lightweight and run well on old machines, but I also use it on my server for real time processing, but I wish to write java apps.

So..... simple question, is it possible to run the JDK and make java applications in puppy linux?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

This project might be a start
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 861#289861

and I have had java and an IDE
to compile running in Puppy

In fact Tmxxine Photon puplet ran a Java IDE
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24454

but I had no interest in developing it
- we do have another Developer Pup
project somewhere . . . or maybe I
was under an enchantment at the time . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

KusaNoKaito

#3 Post by KusaNoKaito »

Thanks for the information :)

I have tried installing java + netbeans from sun's java website, but that caused some errors. However with the latest JRE I am able to run eclipse, but so far can not compile anything to complicated.

I will surely try this IDE.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Java is too large for including in Puppy
but the RTE (run time) is provided on
Lucid Puppy Quickpet - so Java
programs can be run ;)

:) Anyway Good luck - let us know how you get on
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

KusaNoKaito

#5 Post by KusaNoKaito »

Lobster wrote:Java is too large for including in Puppy
but the RTE (run time) is provided on
Lucid Puppy Quickpet - so Java
programs can be run ;)

So far eclipse seems to work best with puppy, but I'll keep looking for better solutions, and if I find any I'll let the community know. :D

DMcCunney

#6 Post by DMcCunney »

KusaNoKaito wrote:
Lobster wrote:Java is too large for including in Puppy but the RTE (run time) is provided on Lucid Puppy Quickpet - so Java programs can be run ;)

So far eclipse seems to work best with puppy, but I'll keep looking for better solutions, and if I find any I'll let the community know. :D
Eclipse is written in Java, so if Java is correctly installed, Eclipse ought to run.

I multi-boot Puppy and Ubuntu, Each is installed on an ext4 partition, and each mounts the other's partition at boot. Puppy sees the Ubuntu slice as /ubuntu, and Ubuntu sees the Puppy slice as /media/puppy.

Because they can see each other's partitions, I've been experimenting with sharing large apps between them, to save space and make updates easier.

Eclipse actually lives on the Puppy side in /opt/eclipse, but is usable from Ubuntu.

Eclipse seems to have become the default standard IDE for developers working in Java and most other things, so it's probably the best bet if it does work for you.
______
Dennis

KusaNoKaito

#7 Post by KusaNoKaito »

DMcCunney wrote:
KusaNoKaito wrote:
Lobster wrote:Java is too large for including in Puppy but the RTE (run time) is provided on Lucid Puppy Quickpet - so Java programs can be run ;)

Eclipse is written in Java, so if Java is correctly installed, Eclipse ought to run.

I multi-boot Puppy and Ubuntu, Each is installed on an ext4 partition, and each mounts the other's partition at boot. Puppy sees the Ubuntu slice as /ubuntu, and Ubuntu sees the Puppy slice as /media/puppy.

Because they can see each other's partitions, I've been experimenting with sharing large apps between them, to save space and make updates easier.

Eclipse actually lives on the Puppy side in /opt/eclipse, but is usable from Ubuntu.

Eclipse seems to have become the default standard IDE for developers working in Java and most other things, so it's probably the best bet if it does work for you.
______
Dennis
I have experimented with multiple distros in the past, and it is definitely amazing how much more you can do! but ubuntu's a little too big for my liking, but the ease of use is great.

Yes it seems that everyone uses eclipse these days, I like all the Java IDEs (netbeans is my favorite) but so far Eclipse is the only Java IDE that will work flawlessly on puppy 4.3.1.

MU

#8 Post by MU »

[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

DMcCunney

#9 Post by DMcCunney »

KusaNoKaito wrote:
DMcCunney wrote: I multi-boot Puppy and Ubuntu, Each is installed on an ext4 partition, and each mounts the other's partition at boot. Puppy sees the Ubuntu slice as /ubuntu, and Ubuntu sees the Puppy slice as /media/puppy.

I have experimented with multiple distros in the past, and it is definitely amazing how much more you can do! but ubuntu's a little too big for my liking, but the ease of use is great.
It's not that big here.

I originally installed Ubuntu from the Xubuntu distribution. It installed without a hitch and ran, but was painfully slow. Posters in the Ubuntu forums thought too much Gnome had crept in, Xubuntu was no longer a light weight distro, and that Ubuntu had a steadily advancing idea of what "low end" was. They suggested reinstalling from the MinimalCD.

Puppy had released 4.31, and I wanted to go to an ext4 file system, so I wiped both partitions, reformatted as ext4, and reinstalled from scratch.

The Ubuntu MinimalCD distro is all of 10MB. Installing from it produced a barebones command line Linux installation that was connected to my network. From there I could use apt-get to grab Xfce4 as window manager, and selecting Xfce4 automatically brought along Xorg and the rest of X-Windows necessary to run it, so I could boot to a GUI and things Just Worked.

Once Xfce4 was in place, I could install Synaptics to get the GUI package manager and install the other stuff I wanted.

The result isn't as sprightly as Puppy, but is usable. Since each sees the other's partition, sharing apps between them was a logical next step.
Yes it seems that everyone uses eclipse these days, I like all the Java IDEs (netbeans is my favorite) but so far Eclipse is the only Java IDE that will work flawlessly on puppy 4.3.1.
I know other folks that like Netbeans.

But I think Eclipse pretty well savaged the market for commercial IDEs. Borland used to offer C++ Builder and -J-Builder, but spun the tools operation off as Codegear, which was later acquired by Embarcadero Technologies. Why buy an IDE when you can get Eclipse? And with the appropriate plugins, you can use Eclipse to code and build in pretty much any language.

I think the only commercial IDE of any real significance now is probably MS Visual Studio, but that pretty much assumes you are developing in C++/C# for Windoze.
______
Dennis

KusaNoKaito

#10 Post by KusaNoKaito »

Another great thing about Eclipes is its portable! :)

DMcCunney

#11 Post by DMcCunney »

KusaNoKaito wrote:Another great thing about Eclipes is its portable! :)
That's what Java is all about: "Write once, run anywhere."

Eclipse is written in Java, so...
______
Dennis

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

Did I have Codegear running in Puppy? I seem to remember it was there . . . briefly . . .
Mark (MU) did a Java course (Hi Mark) and I seem to remember had a version of Muppy Puppy set up for javing (program raving?)

How are things Mark? :)
Is your apartment still on blue light?

Java Puppy . . . m m m . . . it might be a bit bigger but there must be android apps, Java all sorts and mobile phone apps that would create a very unique Puppy . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

DMcCunney

#13 Post by DMcCunney »

Lobster wrote:Did I have Codegear running in Puppy? I seem to remember it was there . . . briefly . . .
I think you mean Code:Blocks, and there's a PET of v8.02 of that floating around.
Java Puppy . . . m m m . . . it might be a bit bigger but there must be android apps, Java all sorts and mobile phone apps that would create a very unique Puppy . . .
Just because they're written in Java, doesn't mean they're portable. Portable encompasses more than "runs on architectures X, Y, and Z".

The Nokia Internet Tablet runs a flavor of Linux and uses a framework called Maemo. An assortment of Linux apps exist for the Tablet, but more that might be desirable don't, because they were written for systems with big screens, mice, and full keyboards. Redoing them to display effectively on a handheld and use a touch screen is a non-trivial process.

It's why I don't see Puppy as a useful starting point for a handheld Linux port. The form factor and UI are too different. The Linux kernel and Busybox can be migrated, but most of what makes Puppy Puppy is likely to be lost in translation.

The reverse problem applies to trying to bring something like an Android app up on a Puppy box. It's written for a handheld with a small display and a touch screen. It will require major reworking for other platforms, even if it does something that might be useful in a Puppy installation.
______
Dennis

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

I think you mean Code:Blocks, and there's a PET of v8.02 of that floating around.
Yes that is the one Dennis. :)
I thought Code:Blocks relatively simple, so if running java, it may be suitable - anyone know where it is?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

DMcCunney

#15 Post by DMcCunney »

Lobster wrote:
Yes that is the one Dennis. :)
I thought Code:Blocks relatively simple, so if running java, it may be suitable
Huh? I don't believe it's written in Java, and I wouldn't call a full fledged programmer's IDE "simple".

What are you talking about?
- anyone know where it is?
Here.
______
Dennis

KusaNoKaito

#16 Post by KusaNoKaito »

DMcCunney wrote:

Eclipse is written in Java, so...
______
Dennis
True but sometimes I find that the Java archives work best on the platform they're written for.

DMcCunney

#17 Post by DMcCunney »

KusaNoKaito wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:

Eclipse is written in Java, so...]
True but sometimes I find that the Java archives work best on the platform they're written for.
Oh, sure. Java code can be portable, but it's perfectly possible to write non-portable code in it.

The chief developer at a former employer which did a lot of work in Java was eloquent (in a Russian accented fashion) on differences between JREs on different architectures that could bite you.

And just because it's portable and can run on a different platform, doesn't mean it will work acceptably. Try taking Java code written for a smartphone with a small touch screen display, and running it on a PC. Assuming you want to do the same thing on each device, at minimum you'll need to rewrite the display code and the UI for the larger PC screen.
______
Dennis